This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I love Italian flavors, so it’s no surprise that I have plenty of keto lasagna recipes here on Wholesome Yum – eggplant lasagna, cauliflower lasagna, zucchini lasagna, and lasagna stuffed peppers, to name a few. And these are all delicious, but they are missing one compontent of traditional lasagna: the noodles. So, it’s about time that I show you how to make a low carb lasagna recipe that has actual noodles in it, with a texture just like the real thing!
What Is Keto Lasagna?
Keto lasagna is just what it sounds like – lasagna that’s made with keto friendly ingredients, so that we can enjoy this delicious comwhafort food meal, too! There are many gluten-free lasagnas that use vegetables in place of noodles, or leave them off entirely (like no-noodle lasagna). But the difference with this one is it has homemade keto lasagna noodles, with a texture very similar to real wheat-based flour noodles.
THE EASY KETO FREEZER SYSTEM
Make 12 meals in 2 hours, plus recipes and freezer guides!
Low Carb Lasagna Ingredients
This keto lasagna recipe is made with mostly basic ingredients, you just need a special flour for the noodles…
For the keto lasagna noodles:
- Mozzarella cheese – This is the base of the keto lasana noodles and gives the noodles a chewy texture, just like the real ones.
- Egg yolks – You’ll need only the yolks for the noodles. Use the leftover egg whites to make keto angel food cake or 5-ingredient keto white bread!
- Lupin flour – Lupin flour is a low carb, high protein flour made from lupin beans, which are in the same family as peanuts. The protein functions similarly to how gluten works in white flour, and helps give the noodles a texture similar to the real thing.
For the meat sauce:
- Ground beef – I use grass-fed beef, but use the highest quality beef you can afford. Any fat content will work, I like to use 85/15.
- Marinara sauce – Check the ingredients to make sure there is no added sugar.
- Italian seasoning – I like to use homemade Italian seasoning (it takes just a few minutes to mix up!), but you can also use store-bought.
- Garlic powder – Optional, but will help give the meat sauce extra flavor.
For the cheese filling:
- Ricotta cheese – Use a full-fat ricotta cheese for best flavor and higher fat content for keto.
- Grated parmesan cheese – Shredded parmesan will work, but for best texture, use grated parmesan.
- Egg – Large eggs are the right size.
For the cheese topping:
- Mozzarella cheese – Buy it shredded for the easiest and fastest option, or shred it yourself if you like.
How To Make Keto Lasagna
Don’t be intimidated by this keto lasagna with cheese noodles, it comes together in just 15 minutes prep.
Make keto lasagna noodles:
- Mix dough. Stir together the lupin flour and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Melt cheese. Heat the mozzarella in the microwave until it’s easy to stir. Stir until smooth.
- Knead. Add mozzarella cheese to the flour and knead until a uniform dough forms, with no streaks. Divide dough into 2 balls.
TIP: For easier mixing, you can also blitz the cheese and flour mixture in a food processor.
- Roll. Roll the 2 balls into 2 rectangles, about 9×13 inches in size each.
Make meat sauce:
- Brown meat. Cook ground beef in a large saute pan and season with salt and pepper. Break up with a spoon or spatula and cook until browned.
- Simmer sauce. Stir in marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Simmer.
Make cheese filling:
- Mix cheeses. In a small bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, parmesan, and egg.
- Layer. Spread half of meat sauce into bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with one lasagna noodle, half of the ricotta mixture, and half of the mozzarella.
TIP: To easily layer lasagna noodles, peel away the top layer of parchment paper and flip over into baking dish. Press firmly, then carefully peel back the other piece of parchment paper that is now on top.
- Repeat. Repeat the layers of meat, noodle, ricotta, and mozzarella.
- Bake. Cover pan with foil and bake, then uncover and broil to brown the cheese.
Keto Lasagna Recipe FAQs
Is lasagna keto?
Most lasagnas are not keto, as they are made with wheat flour noodles. This version is made with my keto lasagna noodles recipe using lupin flour, making it low carb and keto friendly.
How many carbs in lasagna?
Traditional lasagnas will have more than 25 grams carbohydrates per serving. This low carb and keto lasagna has just 5.6 grams net carbs per serving!
Can you substitute the lupin flour?
Not really. You can use almond flour, but the texture is less like lasagna noodles and closer to a pizza crust (I tested it!). Coconut flour definitely would not work. Lupin flour is easy to order here (and I have no connection with this company, I just like the product for making keto lasagna noodles).
Can you use a different meat?
This easy keto lasagna also reheats really well, so you can also bake it ahead and reheat it. Store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze keto lasagna?
Yes, you can freeze this keto lasagna for 2-3 months. I would recommend cutting it into individual portions before freezing, so that you can take out a piece as needed.
Reheat the keto lasagna casserole in the oven at 350 degrees F, or in the microwave if you like.
What To Serve With Keto Lasagna Bake
All this keto lasagna needs is a salad, breadstick, and/or dessert! Here are a few to try:
- Healthy Salads – Salad recipes like spring mix salad, kale crunch salad, marinated artichoke salad, or chopped avocado caprese salad all pair well with this low carb lasagna.
- Keto Breadsticks – My favorite are keto garlic breadsticks from my Easy Keto Cookbook! Alternatively, try other breads like keto garlic cheese bread or fathead dinner rolls.
- Keto Desserts – Serve Italian treats, like keto cannoli cookies, keto berry ricotta dessert, or keto tiramisu, after dinner.
More Keto Pasta Recipes
If you like this keto recipe for lasagna, you might also like some of these other keto pasta recipes:
- Keto Baked Feta Pasta – FIVE different pasta options for low carb feta pasta!
- Zucchini Spaghetti with Meatballs – All the comfort food of spaghetti with meatballs – none of the extra carbs!
- No Noodle Lasagna – Made with just 5 ingredients, this casserole has all the lasagna flavors, but it’s made without noodles.
- Shirataki Noodles – All my tips and tricks for cooking miracle noodles, plus a creamy garlic sauce.
Tools To Make Keto Friendly Lasagna
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Large Saute Pan – Easily cook up the meat sauce in this saute pan that’s also perfect for everything from stir fried veggies to eggs.
- 9×13 Stoneware Baking Dish – I love using this baking dish for low carb lasagna and other casseroles as it’s nice enough to take right to the table – even for company!
Keto Lasagna Recipe
This reader favorite recipe is included in The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Carboholics’ Cookbook! Inside this beautiful hard cover keto recipe book, you’ll find 100 delectable, EASY keto recipes to replace all your favorite carbs: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, desserts, and more… each with 10 ingredients or less! Plus, a photo, macros, & tips for every recipe.
Keto Lasagna Recipe (With Real Noodles!)
An easy low carb keto lasagna recipe with beef marinara, creamy ricotta, gooey mozzarella, and noodles just like the real thing! Only 5.6g net carbs per serving.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Keto Lasagna Noodles:
In a large bowl, stir together the flour and egg yolks, until crumbly.
Melt mozzarella in the microwave or a double boiler on the stove, until easy to stir.
Add mozzarella to the flour mixture and knead with your hands until a uniform dough forms.
Divide the dough into 2 balls. Roll each ball into a very thin rectangle, 9×13 inches in size. (If the dough is too sticky to roll, you can chill it for 30 minutes first.)
Meanwhile, make the meat sauce. Place the ground beef into a large saute pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, breaking apart the meat with a spoon or spatula, until browned.
Stir in marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder, if using. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
While the meat sauce is simmering, make the cheese filling. In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, parmesan, and egg.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Spread half of the meat sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 stoneware casserole dish. Top with one large 9×13 lasagna noodle. (To do this, peel away the top piece of parchment paper from the noodle, flip over into the baking dish, then carefully peel back the parchment paper that is now on top.) Spread half of the ricotta mixture over it, then sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers of meat, noodle, ricotta, and mozzarella.
Cover the pan with foil, not touching the cheese on top. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn the oven to broil. Place lasagna under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is browned.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/12 entire recipe
Recipe from The Easy Keto Carboholics’ Cookbook.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂