FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I’ve been very excited to share this KETO cheese bread recipe with you. It’s another fathead dough recipe, but this time we’re turning it into low carb cheese bread… a.k.a. keto garlic cheesy bread! And I have a feeling that it will become a favorite addition to your keto pizza nights. Don’t forget the marinara sauce for dipping!
I’ve created this keto cheese bread with almond flour to resemble the cheesy pull-apart bread that is so fun to eat. I had the idea a couple of years ago when I saw a photo of a similar one with regular dough on Pinterest (I wish I remembered whose idea it was!). It seemed way more fun than simply cheesy bread topped with cheese, though you could do that too, like I did for my cheesy cauliflower breadsticks recipe.
It took me a while to get around to testing this pull-apart version, but it’s finally here: the best keto garlic cheese bread ever with ooey, gooey cheese throughout! But don’t be intimidated, because I’ll show you exactly how to make it.
How To Make Keto Cheese Bread
I’m going to show you exactly how to make this keto cheese garlic bread recipe, step by step.
- Bloom yeast. The yeast in this keto cheesy garlic bread is optional, but I highly recommend it as it adds classic flavor. Stir the warm water, inulin, and yeast in a small bowl to bloom.
TIP: The yeast is done when it’s puffy, bubbly, larger in size, and not very liquid anymore. That means it’s working!
- Start the dough. Process almond flour, baking powder, and eggs in a food processor.
- Melt the cheeses. Melt mozzarella and cream cheese together in a microwave or double boiler.
- Add cheese to dough. Before the cheeses cool (they should still be stirrable as shown above), add them to the food processor and process until a dough forms.
- Add yeast to keto low carb cheesy bread dough. When the yeast is frothy and puffy, add it to the food processor and pulse until combined.
TIP: Do not over-process here, but do pulse until it’s uniform. You want the consistency to be the same throughout, but don’t want it to deflate too much. Scrape the sides if needed.
- Chill dough. This will help it be less sticky.
- Shape the cheesy keto garlic bread dough into a disc. Flatten the dough to about 3/4 inch tall, about 7 inches in diameter.
- Cut grids in the dough. Cut rows one inch apart in the dough disc, cutting almost to the bottom, but not all the way through. Then add cuts in the other direction to form a grid, as shown below.
TIP: Wipe down the knife in between cutting the slices, so that the dough doesn’t stick.
- Make garlic butter. In a small bowl, stir together melted butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Brush over the dough, letting it drip down into the cuts you made.
- Stuff with cheese. Stuff shredded mozzarella inside the cuts.
TIP: It’s easiest to do all the cuts in one direction first and then the cuts that go in the opposite direction.
- Bake until keto garlic bread is golden and cooked through. It needs to not only brown on top, but also be cooked inside.
TIP: Watch closely and check on it after 10-12 minutes. It will likely take longer, but cook time will vary depending on thickness of low carb keto cheese bread.
FAQs For Fathead Cheese Garlic Bread
Can You Make Keto Cheesy Bread With Coconut Flour?
Yes, you can. Replace the almond flour with just 1/2 cup coconut flour, and increase the eggs from 2 to 4.
Otherwise, the recipe will be the same, but you may end up with a smaller dough disc, so may need less mozzarella to stuff inside and/or garlic butter to brush on top.
Is The Inulin Powder Required?
Yes, it’s required, but there is a subtitution option. I get this question a lot on keto recipes with yeast.
Inulin is a prebiotic fiber and is used in place of sugar to feed the yeast. Without it, the yeast won’t work!
You can buy inulin here, but if you can’t get it, you can use the same amount of real sugar instead, knowing that the yeast consumes most of it so it won’t impact the final carb count too much. I don’t keep sugar in my house, plus I use inulin to make keto chocolate, so it’s a better option for me.
How do you make it extra chewy?
Yes. If you like, you can add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp xanthan gum for a chewier keto cheese bread.
Can you make low carb cheesy bread with fresh garlic?
Yes.If you want to use fresh minced garlic, you can stuff it into the cuts along with the shredded cheese. Don’t put any on top of the bread, because it will burn.
What if the top is golden but the keto cheesy bread is still raw inside?
This should not happen if you make your dough disc flat and not too thick. But if it does, you can tent the top with foil to prevent further browning and continue baking.
How do I get cheese pulls?
Cheese pulls work best when the keto garlic bread is hot. But even then, it depends on the mozzarella you use. Freshly shredded mozzarella will pull better than the pre-shredded stuff from a bag.
Another trick you can try for cheese pulls: cut small, short slits perpendicular to the seams, then pull apart.
How many carbs in keto cheese bread with almond flour?
Each serving of this keto cheese bread recipe has just 3 grams net carbs! You’ll try a bite and question our math, but it’s accurate! 🙂
Oh, and that’s 4 pieces, so a pretty generous serving, too.
How To Store Keto Cheesy Bread
Store this keto bread recipe with cream cheese in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven until hot.
Can You Freeze Low Carb Cheese Bread?
Yes, you can freeze this keto cheese garlic bread recipe. Store it in an airtight freezer bag or container for 3-6 months.
Reheat until hot in the oven when ready to serve.
What To Serve With Keto Garlic Bread
This keto garlic cheese bread recipe is hearty enough to act as a main dish, but you can also serve it with keto soups, low carb pizzas, or low carb salads for a full meal. Here are some delicious options…
Soups To Serve With Keto Cheesy Bread:
- Low Carb Vegetable Soup – Love that all of the food groups are covered with this soup and low carb garlic cheese bread combo.
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup – Creamy from roasted cauliflower, this luscious soup goes with just about anything.
Pizzas To Serve With Low Carb Cheese Bread:
- Fathead Pizza Crust – If you like this fathead keto cheesy bread recipe dough, you’ll love the pizza crust version. Top as desired.
- Zucchini Pizza Crust – Adding some veggies into your pizza night? Always a good idea. And sturdy enough to pick up like a regular slice.
- Keto Pizza Casserole – Your favorite low carb pizza in hearty casserole form? It’s a filling, delicious mash-up!
Salads To Serve With Keto Garlic Bread:
- Classic Wedge Salad – This cool and crunchy salad is a perfect match for keto cheese bread with almond flour. Dinner is done (and sure to be a hit!).
- Keto Caesar Salad – Highly recommend dipping a bit of your low carb cheese bread into the Caesar dressing…
- Chopped Antipasto Salad – Crunchy veggies and loads of flavor, make this salad a natural pairing for keto garlic bread.
Tools To Make Fathead Cheese Bread:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Food Processor – Using a food processor for this fathead keto garlic bread is imperative in order to get a smooth, uniform bread.
- Baking Sheet – The best nonstick baking sheet! And comes with a cooling rack.
- Pastry Brush – Brush your keto cheese bread with almond flour with garlic butter before baking. YUM.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto Garlic Cheese Bread Recipe
An easy keto cheese bread recipe with gooey cheese pulls! Low carb keto garlic cheese bread with almond flour or coconut flour tastes like the real thing, but has only 3g net carbs.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Optional yeast ingredients:
Try My New Keto Bread Mix!
Want even easier, delicious keto white bread that's fluffy and chewy? Get this convenient mix from Wholesome Yum.GET KETO BREAD MIX
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
If you want to include the optional yeast, stir the warm water, inulin, and yeast in a small bowl, and set aside for 10-15 minutes to bloom.
Meanwhile, process the almond flour, baking powder, and eggs in a food processor.
Melt the mozzarella and cream cheese together in a bowl in the microwave (90 seconds, stirring halfway through and at the end) or a double boiler on the stove (stirring occasionally until smooth).
Immediately before the cheeses cool, add them to the food processor with the blade placed over the cheese, and process until a dough forms.
Once the yeast looks frothy and puffy, add it to the food processor. Pulse until just combined.
If the dough feels sticky to the touch, chill it for 15-30 minutes, until it feels firmer and less sticky.
Using oiled hands to make the dough easier to work with, form a ball and then flatten into a disc (3/4 inch tall, 7 inch diameter) on the parchment lined baking sheet. If the dough is sticky again after forming the disc, you may need to chill it again so that it’s less sticky.
Use a knife to cut rows one inch apart in the dough disc, cutting almost to the bottom but not all the way through. Then, cut 1 inch apart in the perpendicular direction, to form a grid, again not cutting all the way through.
In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Brush over the dough, letting it drip down into the cuts you made. Stuff shredded mozzarella inside the cuts, trying to avoid a 1/2 inch border at the edges, so that it doesn’t seep out during baking (it’s okay if a little gets in).
Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the cheesy bread is golden and cooked through.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 4 small pieces, or 1/12 entire recipe
Video Showing How To Make Keto Cheese Bread:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Cheese Bread!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂