FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Ever since I released my keto bread mix, people have been asking me if they can use it to make keto bread with yeast. Well, now you can! Bread made with this mix is already totally delicious, but adding yeast just takes it over the top. Give this low carb keto yeast bread recipe a try, especially if you’ve been disappointed by dense keto breads. Not anymore!
My Wholesome Yum Keto Bread Mix makes this keto yeast bread recipe come together in such an easy way! And if you’ve written off keto bread as being dense, you’ve got to give this one a try. It’s my best yet. I spent months getting this mix just right, so that it’s light, fluffy and chewy all at the same time.
Keto Yeast Bread Ingredients
The ingredients to make this keto bread recipe with yeast are pretty straight-forward:
- Active dry yeast – This gives the bread the classic yeast flavor, obviously! If you’re pulling yeast out of the pantry, make sure it’s fresh and active, it does go bad!
- Inulin powder – The inulin acts as the sugar for yeast so the yeast can be fed without sugar. I was SO happy when I found out I could make yeast dishes with no trace of sugar whatsoever.
- Wholesome Yum Keto Bread Mix – Can’t have yeast bread without bread! This mix makes a perfectly chewy, bubbly loaf with clean ingredients.
- Butter – I prefer grass-fed for best flavor, but you can use whatever you keep at home. Coconut oil should work fine as well, but know that the bread mix contains whey, so the bread would not be dairy-free regardless.
- Eggs – Use large eggs, not medium or jumbo.
- Unsweetened almond milk – You can use any keto milk here.
How To Make Keto Bread With Yeast
- Bloom yeast. In a small bowl, mix together inulin and warm water. Then stir in yeast and set aside for 10-15 minutes, until puffy.
TIP: Make sure the water is warm, not hot or cold. A good temperature range is 105-115 degrees. If you don’t have a thermometer, use the inside of your wrist to test. It should feel pleasantly warm, not cold or hot.
Make bread batter
- Cream butter. Use a hand or stand mixer to beat butter until it’s pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs and milk. Use room temperature eggs and milk (so the butter doesn’t solidify) and beat until incorporated.
- Add mix. Beat in Wholesome Yum Keto Bread Mix gradually.
- Proof bread. Fold yeast into bread batter until uniform. Cover with plastic wrap and let the yeast proof in a warm place for 1 hour.
TIP: For a warm place, I recommend the oven with the light on and heat off. You could also try a sunny window sill, just make sure there is no draft.
- Bake. Transfer batter to a prepared loaf pan and bake bread until golden brown.
- Cool. Let your low carb yeast bread cool completely before slicing.
Low Carb Yeast Bread FAQs
Where can I find the keto bread mix?
You can find Wholesome Yum keto bread mix on the Wholesome Yum Foods website here, or order it here on Amazon.
As of March 2021, we ship to the U.S. and Canada. If you’re outside these countries, please sign up here to be notified when it’s available to you.
Can I use yeast in keto bread?
Yes, you can use yeast in keto bread. You just need something to activate it. In normal breads, that would be sugar, but I prefer to feed it with inulin powder instead.
Can I substitute the inulin powder?
If you want to be certain your keto bread is completely sugar free, you must use inulin powder for this recipe.
However, if you follow a dirty keto diet and don’t mind trace amounts of sugar, you could substitute an equal amount of coconut sugar.
Do not use another keto sweetener to substitute, as it will not serve as sufficient food for the yeast to “eat.”
Is yeast keto friendly?
Yes, yeast is keto friendly. Where it gets confusing is that yeast needs something to “feed” on for it to become active. Typically we feed yeast with sugar, which the yeast “digests” but still makes us a bit nervous.
Why is why once I found out that yeast can feed on inulin powder, I’ve never looked back. It’s a great way to add height and flavor to keto baked goods.
Does yeast have carbs in it?
Yeast does not contain any carbs. But sugar and/or starches usually activate the yeast, which is probably why you associate it with carbs.
Even though the yeast “eats” the sugars, I actually found a keto option that works just as well as sugar – inulin powder!
Keto Yeast Bread Storage Instructions
Keto loaf bread with yeast is best after it’s completely cooled, or even the next day. Don’t cut into it until it’s completely cooled!
Store the bread in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze this low carb yeast bread recipe?
Yes, slice it and store in the freezer with parchment paper sheets in between slices (to prevent sticking). It’s good frozen for 2-3 months.
TIP: Pop frozen slices right in the toaster for convenience.
Ways To Use Almond Flour Yeast Bread
Need ideas for using your bread? Here are a few sandwiches to try:
Tools To Make Keto Bread With Yeast
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Wholesome Yum Keto Bread Mix – The key to the best keto yeast bread. I spent months perfecting it. Try it out and see for yourself!
- Hand Mixer – Hand mixers aren’t as fancy as stand mixers, but they get the job done and are so much easier to store.
- Loaf Pan – This loaf pan will give you a tall and fluffy keto yeast bread.
Easy Keto Yeast Bread Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Yeast Bread Recipe
This super EASY keto yeast bread recipe is light, fluffy, and chewy, with delicious yeast flavor and only 6 ingredients.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small bowl, stir together the inulin and 1/4 cup (59 ml) warm water (make sure it’s not hold or cold). Stir in the yeast and set aside for 10-15 minutes, until puffy.
Meanwhile, make the bread mix batter according to the package instructions. (Do not bake yet, keep it in the bowl.)
When the yeast is done proofing and has increased in volume to 1/2 cup, fold it into the bread batter, until uniform.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place (such as a turned off oven with the light on) to proof for 1 hour.
Bake bread according to package instructions, about 50-60 minutes, until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If it browns too much before the inside is done, tent the top with foil and continue baking until done.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, 1/2" thick
Video Showing How To Make Keto Yeast Bread:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Yeast Bread!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Shop Wholesome Yum Keto Ingredients
Find more Wholesome Yum ingredients for your recipes on Amazon!