FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 170,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This is the BEST keto grilled cheese sandwich I’ve ever made – and I’ve made it with many low carb bread recipes, but seriously, the version with my keto bread mix beats them all. 😉 Two slices of this fluffy, chewy white bread are toasted around a melty layer of cheddar cheese, giving this dish total comfort food flavor without the carbs.
If you thought a keto lifestyle meant you would have to say goodbye to your favorite sandwiches, think again! Recipes like this will show you how easy it is to swap your favorite meals with keto ones. Whatever your favorite sandwich, you can make it with my keto bread mix!
I spent months developing this mix to make it just right – white, fluffy, and chewy at the same time. I can’t wait for you to try it!
How To Make Keto Grilled Cheese
This keto grilled cheese recipe comes together in a few simple steps. I’ll walk you through using my mix to make the keto bread for grilled cheese, as well as the grilled cheese method itself.
Make the low carb bread for grilled cheese
- Prep. Preheat the oven and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Gather the ingredients you’ll need: Wholesome Yum Keto Bread Mix, butter, eggs, and milk of your choice (see notes on the milk options 2 steps down.)
- Cream butter. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the butter – do so until it’s pale and super fluffy. This helps create air pockets in the bread later on.
- Add eggs and milk. Make sure they are room temp so that they don’t solidify the butter. I used unsweetened almond milk, but any kind of keto friendly milk will work.
- Add Wholesome Yum Keto Bread Mix. Beat this in gradually using your mixer.
- Transfer. Spoon the batter into a parchment lined loaf pan (this size is ideal) and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake. Place in the oven and let it bake until the bread rises and is golden on top.
Make the keto grilled cheese sandwiches
- Prep. Let the bread cool completely, then slice into 1-inch slices. To make grilled cheese, you’ll also need butter and shredded cheese.
- Assemble. Spread butter on bread and place into hot skillet. Top with cheddar cheese, then the other slice of bread, leaving buttered side up.
- Grill. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown and cheese has melted.
Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich FAQs
How many carbs in a grilled cheese sandwich?
The carbs in grilled cheese sandwiches will vary, depending on what type of bread and cheese you use. The average grilled cheese will have around 500 calories and over 30 total carbs. When using white bread, net carbs are almost just as high, since white bread doesn’t have much fiber.
In this keto grilled cheese recipe, the calories are a little higher as the bread is made with nutrient-dense almond flour… and the carbs are much, much lower. Just 4.9 grams net carbs for the whole sandwich!
Can you make this with other bread?
Yes, you can. My keto bread mix is by far the easiest and most delicious bread for grilled cheese I’ve ever used, but you can swap out one of my other keto bread recipes if you like. These are popular:
- Almond Flour Bread
- Keto Flaxseed Bread
- Keto Coconut Flour Bread – For a nut-free option
- 90-Second Bread – A quick microwave option
Can I use a different cheese?
Sure! Feel free to use any cheese you like – check the keto cheese list for lots of options.
TIP: As a rule of thumb, you’ll need approximately 1/2 cup shredded cheese, or 2 ounces either shredded or sliced. This applies with virtually any kind of cheese you’d use for grilled cheese.
Low Carb Grilled Cheese Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Grilled cheese is best served right after it’s done cooking, but feel free to make the bread up to a week in advance. Then it will just take a few minutes to assemble and cook.
However, if you do have leftovers, you can still enjoy them later.
How to store a keto grilled cheese sandwich:
Store any leftover sandwiches in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can grilled cheese be reheated?
Yes! For best results, reheat the sandwich in a warm skillet until heated through. (You’ll want to keep the heat on low to avoid darkening the bread too much if it was previously grilled.) Reheating in the microwave will result in a mushy sandwich.
What To Serve With a Keto Toasted Cheese Sandwich
Serve up this keto toasted sandwich with some easy sides:
- Raw veggies – Raw veggies like celery, cucumber and mini bell peppers are all great – especially when dipped in ranch dressing.
- Salads – Veggie salads like Greek salad, cucumber radish salad, or low carb coleslaw all pair well with keto toasted cheese sandwiches.
- Soups – Soup and grilled cheese are a perfect pair! Recipes like keto vegetable soup, roasted cauliflower soup, or the classic, roasted tomato soup make delicious sides.
Tools To Make Low Carb Grilled Cheese:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Keto Bread Mix – The best bread for low carb grilled cheese sandwiches. Fluffy, chewy white bread… without the grains and carbs.
- Bread Pan – This is the correct sized loaf pan to make your keto bread so that it comes out the right height.
- Hand Mixer – The simplest tool to use while making the bread. This is the one I have; I love that this one has a storage case for the attachments.
- Skillet – Toast your keto grilled cheese sandwich in this skillet. No sticking!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto Grilled Cheese Recipe
The best keto grilled cheese sandwich recipe - only 4.9g net carbs! This simple low carb grilled cheese features crunchy griddled bread and a thick layer of melty cheese.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Make white keto bread according to instructions on the keto bread mix package. (See step-by-step photos in the blog post.) Cool completely, then slice into 1/2 inch slices.
Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
Spread 1 teaspoon of butter on each slice of bread. Place one slice onto the skillet, butter side down. Top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese, then the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
Cover the skillet with a lid and grill for 3-5 minutes, until golden on the bottom. Carefully flip, cover, and grill for 3-5 minutes, until golden on the other side and cheese is melted. (If the bread starts to darken too fast, reduce the heat.)
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 grilled cheese sandwich
Video Showing How To Make Keto Grilled Cheese:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Grilled Cheese!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂