This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I’m so excited to show you this high protein bread recipe — I tested it nearly a dozen times! Not only is it is packed with protein, it also just so happens to be low carb, it needs no flour of any kind, and it’s just as soft and fluffy as a store-bought white bread or whole wheat bread. This flourless bread is a great choice if you want to freshen up your healthy eating — or if you get tired of protein shakes, baked chicken breasts, and Greek yogurt all the time.
When I made flourless waffles years ago, I discovered that combining eggs and almond butter creates a texture that is surprisingly bread-like! So, I tested out the same concept in a grain-free bread loaf. It wasn’t enough structure on its own and my first few attempts collapsed, but when I experimented with adding protein powder, I finally achieved a tall, airy loaf with the perfect amount of chewiness.
While flourless bread recipes are often favored by people who are gluten-free or following a low carb diet, this protein bread is also a great healthier alternative to traditional bread — even if your daily diet doesn’t have any restrictions.
Why You’ll Love This Flourless Protein Bread Recipe
- Tastes like regular bread from the bread aisle
- Soft, fluffy, and chewy texture
- Packed with nutrients
- Just 4 ingredients
- Only 10 minutes to prep
- No grains (not even whole grains), soy, or preservatives
- 1.7g net carbs and 1.7 grams of fiber per slice
- Naturally gluten-free, keto, low carb, and great for athletes
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for bread with high protein, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Whey Protein Isolate – Whey powder is what makes this a protein-rich bread. In fact, it’s packed with 25 grams of protein. This is also the most critical ingredient, because it provides the structure for this bread (similar to how wheat protein provides structure in wheat bread), which allows it to be tall and airy. I recommend this brand of whey protein isolate, which has no sugar or fillers. Keep in mind that cheaper brands of whey protein powder are typically whey protein concentrate, which is different and higher in carbohydrates, but might still work from a recipe standpoint. I tested the recipe with egg white protein powder and collagen, and both failed, but am not sure if other types of protein powder (such as pea protein) would yield good results or not.
- Eggs – You will need both egg whites and whole eggs for this bread. The egg whites provide structure as well and the yolks act as a leavener, so that the bread is soft and fluffy. Unfortunately, flax eggs or other egg substitutes will not work here.
- Almond Butter – Use unsweetened, salted, creamy almond butter. You could also use peanut butter, sunflower butter, or other nut butters. If your nut butter is unsalted, you’ll want to add a little bit of salt to the batter.
- Baking Powder – Helps the bread rise.
VARIATION: Add nuts or seeds!
These protein-rich ingredients add a nutty flavor and texture, and they would also boost the protein content of your bread even more. Try sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, or chopped pecans. Just fold them into the dough after blending.
How To Make Protein Bread
This section shows how to make flourless bread , with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Preheat oven Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine. Blend the whey protein powder, eggs, almond butter, and baking powder together in a food processor.
- Transfer. Pour the batter into the lined pan.
- Bake. Keep bread uncovered until the top is golden brown. Once it’s golden, tent the top with foil and continue baking until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool. Let bread cool in the pan until it’s no longer hot, then use the edges of the parchment paper to remove to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Tips For The Best Protein Bread
There are a few key tips to follow when making flourless protein bread in order to get the best results.
- Use the right protein powder. I mentioned this above, but I can’t stress this enough! Whey protein isolate is needed for this recipe to work, and I can’t guarantee that other protein powders will produce the same result.
- Use room temperature ingredients. Room temperature ingredients mix together more easily and produce a more consistent final product.
- Use extra parchment paper. Use enough parchment paper that it hangs over the sides. This will make for easy removal later.
- Don’t over mix. Over mixing can result in a tough, dry loaf of bread. Blend in the food processor until just combined.
- Let the bread cool before slicing. This step lets the inner texture of the bread settle, so that it doesn’t come out gummy or wet.
- Store: Flourless protein bread can store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. If it gets a little moist, you can pop the slices in the toaster.
- Meal prep: Making this bread ahead of time is a great way to prep for a high protein lunch or dinner. Simply make the bread and store for later.
- Freeze: Wrap flourless gluten free bread tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using.
Ways To Use Flourless Bread
Whether you’re looking for nutritious lunches or quick breakfasts on-the-go, here are some unique ways for using protein bread in your everyday meals!
- Sandwiches – Try a chicken breast sandwich with homemade avocado oil mayo, or make a gluten free BLT, reuben, or peanut butter and jelly.
- Spreads – For delicious flavorings, smear with some sugar-free Nutella, nut butter, or even strawberry chia jam or sugar-free jelly.
- Side Dish – Pair this bread with your favorite healthy dinner, salads, or soups.
More Grain-Free Bread Recipes
Ditching whole wheat flour for good? If you liked this protein bread recipe, you might enjoy some of these too:
High Protein Bread Recipe
Protein Bread (Flourless, Fluffy, 4 Ingredients!)
This flourless high protein bread is fluffy and soft, but also low carb and gluten-free! Make it with just 4 ingredients and 10 minutes prep.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (163 degrees C). Line an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 in (22×11 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper, with extra hanging over the sides for easy removal later.
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor.
Pour the batter into the lined pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Tent the top of the bread with foil and continue baking for about 20-25 more minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then use the edges of the parchment paper to remove to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 1/2-inch slice
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂