This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
You’d never guess this is a keto jam recipe! It has all of the flavor or regular jam, without the added sugar and carbs. This sugar free strawberry jam is thickened with chia seeds, which gives it great texture as well as a nutrition boost. And best of all, you can make this chia seed jam with just TWO ingredients (plus a couple of optional ones).
I served this keto strawberry jam on 90 second bread, but any kind would be delicious. (Plus, I have more serving ideas for you at the bottom of this post.) If you prefer jelly over jam, try making keto jelly instead.
You can easily make this an unsweetened jam recipe if your berries are sweet enough, but I almost always add powdered Besti to mine. It tastes like sugar, dissolves effortlessly, and doesn’t crystallize when you store your jam (unlike other sweeteners).
What Is Chia Seed Jam?
Chia jam is a jam recipe that is thickened with chia seeds instead of other thickeners, like sugar or pectin. The seeds make it naturally jammy and also adds plenty of nutrition to jam that’s normally mostly sugar.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Jam Recipe
- Sweet and juicy
- Thick with pieces of fruit + chia
- Takes just a few simple steps
- 30 minutes total to make
- Just 3 grams net carbs
- Contains healthy fats from chia seeds
Sugar Free Jam Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for sugar free strawberry jam, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Strawberries – Fresh strawberries are easiest to use because they can be sliced, but you can also use frozen sliced or chopped strawberries. Or feel free to make your keto jam raspberry, blueberry, or blackberry instead by swapping in those berries. (Did you know: Strawberries are keto, but all berries are on the list of keto fruit!)
- Chia seeds – They will help to thicken your keto jam, instead of sugar or pectin. Plus, they add a boost of nutrition.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Sweetener is optional, but recommended if you like a sweet jam. This is my go-to sweetener for jams because it’s natural, tastes like sugar, and won’t crystallize in the fridge… which is important since you’re unlikely to eat all the jam at once. You could also use powdered allulose for the same consistency, but might need a bit more of it. Powdered erythritol and most other sweetener brands are a last resort substitute, as they do tend to crystallize.
- Lemon zest – This is also optional, but helps bring out sweet, bright flavor in the berries.
How To Make Sugar Free Strawberry Jam
This section shows how to make sugar free jam with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Heat strawberries. Place strawberries in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until strawberries release liquid and soften.
- Mash. Use a spoon or potato masher to mash berries.
TIP: Blend if you prefer a smoother jam. If you don’t want berry pieces in your jam, puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender) at this step.
- Adjust sweetness. Check to see if jam is sweet enough. If it isn’t sweet enough for you, add sweetener to taste, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Thicken. Stir in chia seeds and lemon zest. Allow jam to cool to thicken.
TIP: Add more chia seeds for thicker jam. If you like your jam extra thick, add a couple additional teaspoons of chia seeds to reach the consistency you like. Keep in mind that the jam will continue to thicken when you refrigerate it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I thicken jam without sugar?
You can thicken jam without sugar by using chia seeds! Chia seeds are actually a great thickener for keto strawberry jam because it’s easy and healthy.
Chia seeds have protein, fiber, and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. No sugar needed in this chia berry jam.
Does sugar free jam have carbs?
Yes, most sugar free jam recipes (as well as store bought jams) will have some carbs if they are made with real fruit.
How many carbs are in sugar free strawberry jam?
There are just 3 grams net carbs in a serving (1 tablespoon) of this sugar free strawberry jam!
How long does chia seed jam last?
Store jam in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last about a week in the fridge.
Can you freeze chia seed jam?
Yes, you can freeze strawberry chia jam! It will last up to 3 months in the freezer. Simply thaw it out, give it a stir, and it’s ready to use again.
What To Serve With Chia Jam
This keto strawberry jam recipe is great spread on a slice of toasted almond flour bread, but it’s also delicious dolloped onto the breakfasts, desserts, and snacks below:
- Keto Yeast Bread – The yeast makes it tastes SO much like the real thing!
- Almond Flour Pancakes – A fun, fruity way to start the day.
- Keto Cheesecake – Keto strawberry jam makes a sweet garnish.
- Coconut Flour Waffles – Makes a high-fiber breakfast with jam on top.
- Dairy Free Coconut Yogurt – Swirl in jam for a beautiful breakfast or snack.
- Keto Ice Cream – Jam can be a delicious ice cream topping or swirl it in before freezing.
More Keto Strawberry Recipes
If you like this sugar free strawberry jam recipe, you might also like some of these other keto strawberry recipes:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Fluff
- Keto Strawberry Shortcake In A Jar
- Sugar Free Strawberry Jello
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Keto Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Tools To Make Keto Friendly Jam
- Strawberry Slicer – This is one of those gadgets that you don’t think you need… until you use it! It slices strawberries much faster than using a knife.
- Saucepan – This one is the perfect size for homemade jam recipes.
- Glass Jars – The perfect way to store your jam.
- Immersion Blender – Use this if you want a smoother consistency.
Sugar Free Strawberry Jam Recipe With Chia
Sugar Free Keto Strawberry Jam Recipe (Chia Jam)
Learn how to make keto chia jam with 2 simple ingredients! This EASY sugar free strawberry jam recipe is sweet, thick, and just 2g sugar per serving.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Basic Strawberry Chia Jam:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the strawberries into a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the strawberries release a lot of liquid and soften.
Mash the strawberries with a spoon or potato masher. If you want super smooth jam without strawberry pieces, use an immersion blender to puree the berries.
Taste to check if the jam is sweet enough. Add sweetener to taste, if desired, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Remove from heat. Stir in the chia seeds and lemon zest, if using. Allow the jam to cool for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
For even thicker jam, add an additional 1-3 teaspoons chia seeds if desired. Jam will thicken more when refrigerated.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 tbsp
Makes 1 cup jam.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂