FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
It looks like dessert, it smells like dessert, it tastes like dessert… but this keto strawberry shortcake in a jar is made with the right ingredients and will keep you full until lunch! Yes, this low carb strawberry shortcake recipe is healthy enough for breakfast. And keto, low carb, and gluten-free. But before you go thinking it’s going to take an hour to put together and you want it NOW, this sugar-free strawberry shortcake is quick, easy, and ready in just a few minutes.
The only thing better than a mug cake is a mug cake with a multitude of textures and layers. This easy keto strawberry shortcake combines dense and crumbly vanilla pound cake cubes, sweet and succulent strawberry slices, and of course, velvety sugar-free whipped cream. The explosion of flavors is refreshing, comforting, and energizing all at once.
This almond flour strawberry shortcake recipe was originally published on August 6, 2016, and was republished in March 2020 to add better photos, useful tips and answer common questions. In case you’re curious, the original photo looked like this:
How To Make Keto Strawberry Shortcake In A Jar
This sugar free strawberry shortcake in a jar is ready in just 5 minutes! Yes. FIVE! Take a look at the easy steps:
- Melt the butter in a wide-mouth glass jar. Stir in vanilla extract.
TIP: You can also use a mug or ramekin if you like.
- Make keto shortcake. Add almond flour, coconut flour, erythritol, baking powder, sea salt, and egg to the jar. Stir until combined. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Cook. You can use the microwave for 90 seconds, or heat in the oven if you’re using an oven-safe vessel.
- Cut into cubes. Run a knife along the edge and flip over on a plate to release. Cut the cake into cubes.
- Assemble the easy keto strawberry shortcake. Place half of the cake cubes at the bottom of a jar. Top with half of the strawberries, and half of the whipped cream. Repeat the layers of cake, strawberries, and whipped cream.
- Top it! I like a generous swirl of whipped cream and a strawberry on top!
How Many Carbs In Strawberry Shortcake?
This keto strawberry shortcake recipe has just 5 grams net carbs per serving. The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
Can You Omit The Almond Flour Or Coconut Flour?
This sugar-free strawberry shortcake recipe includes both almond and coconut flour for the best texture, but you can use just one or the other if you like:
- To make it with almond flour only: Replace the 1/2 tbsp coconut flour with 1 1/2 tbsp additional almond flour (3x the amount), on top of the almond flour already in the recipe.
- To make it with coconut flour only: Replace the 3 tbsp almond flour with 1 tbsp additional coconut flour (1/3 the amount), on top of the coconut flour already in the recipe.
The results are NOT the same if you use only one type of flour, but doable if you have to avoid one of them for whatever reason. If you find the batter is super thick, feel free to thin it out with a little unsweetened almond or coconut milk.
Can You Make It Dairy-Free?
Yes! Simply sub the whipped cream with coconut whipped cream instead, and replace the butter with coconut oil.
Can Strawberry Shortcake Be Made In Advance?
The low carb shortcake can be made ahead, but the whole dessert is best assembled right before eating, so that the strawberries and cream are fresh. It may get soggy as it sits.
Can You Freeze Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake?
The low carb shortcake portion can be frozen for 1-2 months. Just don’t make the whipped cream or assemble the strawberry layers until you’re ready to serve. These are best fresh. And, since it only takes a couple of minutes to make this, making it fresh is easy even when you’re short on time.
More Keto Dessert Recipes
If you like this keto friendly strawberry shortcake, you might like these other keto low carb dessert recipes:
- French Almond Cake – This lightly sweetened cake is a perfect dessert for any occasion.
- Keto Chocolate Mug Cake – Need dessert in a hurry? Try this mug cake, ready in less than 5 minutes!
- Low Carb Frozen Peanut Butter Pie – Is there a better combo than peanut butter and chocolate? This frozen pie will make you a believer!
- Low Carb Vanilla Milkshake – Creamy and cool, it’s always a good time for a milkshake! Add strawberries for a strawberry milkshake.
If you want to make more shortcakes at once, I think you can adapt this gluten-free strawberry shortcake to be low carb. Simply use a low carb flower, sugar-free sweetener, and unsweetened almond or coconut milk with vinegar instead of the buttermilk.
Tools To Make Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Cream Whipper – I love this whipper! All you have to do is pour in heavy cream, screw on the cap, add nitrous oxide using a disposable screw-in charger, and shake it until the whipped cream forms. It pays for itself pretty quickly, compared to buying store bought whipped cream – and more importantly, low carb and so much healthier without added chemicals. The whipper allows me to store the rest for later without it going flat.
- Strawberry Slicer – This gadget makes slicing strawberries easy! Which is perfect for keto strawberry dessert recipes.
- Glass Jars – Be sure to pick up some glass jars to make this delicious dessert recipe.
Keto Strawberry Shortcake Recipe In A Jar:
Pin it to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
5-Minute Keto Strawberry Shortcake In A Jar
Easy keto strawberry shortcake in a jar takes just 5 minutes to make! Layers of low carb strawberry shortcake with almond flour, juicy berries, and whipped cream.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get Keto Sweetener For This Recipe
Meet Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend, the keto sweetener that tastes, bakes, dissolves, and browns just like sugar, with NO aftertaste and 0 net carbs.GET BESTI
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Melt the butter in a mug or ramekin in the microwave (about 30 seconds). Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, erythritol, gluten-free baking powder, sea salt, and egg. Stir until well combined. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Microwave for 90 seconds, until firm.
- Run a knife along the edge and flip over a plate or paper towel to release. Cut the cake into cubes.
Place half of the cake cubes at the bottom of a jar. Top with half of the sliced strawberries, then half of the whipped cream. Repeat the layers of cake, strawberries, and whipped cream.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1/2 entire recipe
*Make your own whipped cream by beating heavy cream with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form, or to make it even easier, use a cream whipper to make whipped cream that you can store for later (I love mine!). You can add a sweetener prior to beating, but it's not necessary (due to the sweetness of the cake and strawberries).
Video Showing How To Make Strawberry Shortcake:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Strawberry Shortcake!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂