This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
If you like chocolate mug cake but are looking for a vanilla version, you’ll love this keto vanilla mug cake. It has all the rich flavors of my sugar-free vanilla pudding, but in cake form. It’s sweet and fluffy, with a delicate crumb and burst of vanilla flavor — perfect for any occasion. Whenever you have a craving for a quick, sweet low carb snack, it takes just minutes to prepare a vanilla cake in a mug!
Why You’ll Love This Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe
- Sweet vanilla taste
- Rich and moist cake texture
- Ready in 5 minutes (no oven needed, but there’s an oven option!)
- Sugar-free, gluten-free, grain-free, and keto, with dairy-free and paleo options
- Just 5g net carbs per serving
- The perfect single-serving treat
Ingredients make the difference between moist and delicate mug cakes and dry, rubbery ones. I use Wholesome Yum Blanched Almond Flour and Wholesome Yum Coconut Flour because they both have a super fine consistency, and together create a better texture than one of them alone.
I use Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend to sweeten, because it naturally creates super moist cakes. Besti also works the same way in larger baked recipes (like a full-size keto cake) and other keto desserts!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this vanilla cake in a mug recipe, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Coconut Oil – Be sure to measure the oil solid and then melt it. You can also use unsalted butter or ghee.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – To keep this recipe dairy free, I use homemade almond milk, but you can use store-bought or any other keto milk you prefer.
- Vanilla Bean – I highly recommend using fresh vanilla — I use it sometimes in my almond flour pancakes and it takes the flavor over the top! Vanilla bean paste will also work, but make sure there is no added sugar. If you don’t have either of these, you can use 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract instead. This will be less vanilla flavor than using the bean directly, but adding any more extract would result in an aftertaste from the alcohol in the extract.
- Wholesome Yum Flours – You will need both Wholesome Yum Almond Flour and Wholesome Yum Coconut Flour for this recipe. The blend of these flours together improves the texture. If you’re allergic to one of these, you can just use 6 tablespoons almond flour total or just use 2 tablespoons coconut flour total, but the texture is much better using the combination.
- Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Makes the cake soft and moist, while tasting just like sugar. If you need a different sugar substitute, use my comprehensive sweetener conversion chart to use the right amounts, but keep in mind that most other options would turn out more dry. Coconut sugar is fine to substitute if you want a paleo mug cake.
- Baking Powder – Make sure it’s fresh so that your cake rises well, and if it’s important to you, double check that it’s gluten-free.
- Sea Salt
- Egg – Use a room temperature egg for the best results. I haven’t tried using an egg substitute, but it would probably work.
How To Make Vanilla Mug Cake
This section shows how to make vanilla cake in a mug, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Melt the coconut oil. Heat the coconut oil in a microwave-safe mug, small bowl, or ramekin in the microwave.
- Add wet ingredients. Stir in almond milk and scraped vanilla bean seeds.
- Add dry ingredients and egg. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, Besti, baking powder, sea salt, and egg. Stir batter until well combined. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Microwave. Heat in microwave until firm. Serve vanilla microwave cake in a mug with sugar-free whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream for paleo), or frost with your favorite frosting (see ideas below).
VARIATION: Bake in the oven instead.
Make sure to use an oven-safe ramekin or mug, and simply bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Store: Vanilla keto mug cake can store uncovered at room temperature for one day, or in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Reheat: Eat cold or at room temperature, or reheat in the microwave and spread a thin layer of butter on top to prevent drying out.
- Freeze: Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the freezer. Let it thaw in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave until just warm.
Toppings For Keto Vanilla Mug Cake
This cake in a mug is scrumptious all on its own, but for a truly decadent dessert, top it off with the ultimate sugar-free toppings:
- Whipped cream – To keep this keto friendly, use sugar-free keto whipped cream rather than regular whipped cream.
- Frosting – Try keto cream cheese frosting, classic sugar-free buttercream frosting, or even keto chocolate frosting.
- Sweet Sauces – Drizzle sugar-free chocolate syrup, creamy sugar-free Nutella, runny peanut butter, or gooey sugar-free caramel syrup over the top.
- Ice Cream – Top this vanilla cake in a mug with your favorite keto ice cream. Try chocolate or strawberry, or for dairy-free options, coconut milk ice cream or almond milk ice cream.
- Fresh Berries – Sliced strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries are all keto friendly.
- Sprinkles – For a colorful finish, top with keto chocolate chips or sugar-free sprinkles!
More Mug Cake Recipes
If you liked this recipe for vanilla cake in a mug, you’ll want to try some of my other mug cake recipes:
Vanilla Mug Cake
Vanilla Mug Cake (Keto & Gluten Free)
This keto vanilla mug cake recipe takes just 5 minutes, with healthy, simple ingredients like almond flour, coconut oil, and vanilla.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Add the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, gluten-free baking powder, sea salt, and egg. Stir until well combined. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
Microwave for about 90-120 seconds, until firm. Serve with sugar-free whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream for paleo), or frost with your favorite frosting.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 mug cake (entire recipe)
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂