Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
This coconut milk ice cream recipe comes together so fast, with just 4 ingredients and no ice cream machine! Like almond milk ice cream, this recipe creates a dessert with all the creaminess of regular ice cream, but no dairy milk whatsoever. Once you learn how to make coconut ice cream, you might never go back to getting store-bought versions — it’s that easy!
Why You’ll Love This Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
- Sweet taste and rich coconut flavor
- Cool, creamy texture
- Just 4 ingredients
- Minutes to prep
- No refined sugar
- No churn and no ice cream maker needed
- Naturally paleo, low carb, and vegan ice cream
- Easy to customize with your favorite flavors!
Can Coconut Milk Be Used To Make Ice Cream?
Yes, coconut milk makes the perfect dairy-free milk for ice cream! With more fat than conventional milk, it creates creamy desserts with naturally lower calories. Plus, it has lots of tropical flavor with a silky texture.
While you can make coconut ice cream with sugar, I’m going to let you in on the best way to keep coconut ice cream soft and scoopable without any sugar: The right sweetener! Powdered Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend creates a smooth texture in this ice cream and keeps it perfectly soft (never gritty or rock hard, like some sweeteners). It’s the perfect way to keep treats sweet and sugar-free.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for ice cream with coconut milk, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk – Use cans of coconut milk, not coconut milk beverage from a carton. Avoid using canned cream of coconut (which has added sugar and a thinner texture), or canned light coconut milk (which won’t get as creamy).
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Many recipes for coconut milk ice cream use honey, maple syrup, or agave, but these do not keep the ice cream soft (or sugar free). Besti is my go-to for keeping sugar free ice creams easy to scoop!
- Vanilla Extract – You could also use coconut extract for big coconut flavor, or fresh vanilla bean. (See more flavor ideas below.)
- Sea Salt – Makes the flavors pop!
How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream
This section shows how to make coconut ice cream, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Mix. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the container as needed.
TIP: A blender makes smoother dairy-free ice cream.
If you stir, the liquid may freeze with lumps.
- Transfer. Pour the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe, airtight container or loaf pan. (This recipe makes a big batch of 12 servings, so you can cut it in half and use a smaller pan if you don’t want so many.
- Freeze. Place in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours (or overnight if possible).
- Scoop. Allow coconut ice cream to soften for 5 minutes at room temperature before serving.
Basic coconut milk ice cream needs just 4 ingredients, but it’s so easy to customize it for different flavors, too:
- Dark Chocolate – Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder to blender with other ingredients.
- Strawberry – Replace 1/2 cup of coconut milk with 1 cup of strawberries, or any other your berry of your choice.
- Cookie Dough – Prepare cookie dough from my almond milk ice cream recipe. Fold half the pieces into the ice cream base after blending, then transfer to the container or loaf pan and sprinkle the other half on top.
- Mint Chocolate Chip – Add 3-4 teaspoons of peppermint extract to the blender with other ingredients. After mixing, stir in 1/2 cup cacao nibs or chocolate chips.
- Banana – Add bananas to this ice cream, or try my banana ice cream instead.
More Healthy Dairy-Free Dessert Recipes
If you like dairy-free ice cream, you’ll love these milk-free treats as well!
Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Easy, 4 Ingredients!
This easy dairy-free coconut milk ice cream recipe uses just 4 ingredients, no refined sugar, and no ice cream maker! Try 5 sweet flavors.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place a freezer-friendly container or a loaf pan (I used a 9” x 5” inch) in the freezer.
Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender, until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides to ensure the mixture is very well combined.
Pour the coconut cream mixture into the pre-frozen container and place it in the freezer. Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 3-4 hours (preferably overnight) before serving.
Let the ice cream thaw for 5 minutes on the counter before scooping it into bowls with a slightly wet ice cream scoop.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂