Free: Healthy 5-Ingredient Meals EbookGet It Now
This post is sponsored by ChocZero. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
Ice cream is my kids’ favorite dessert, so I’ve been on a mission to create a healthier ice cream for them. Since bananas are one of their favorite fruits, banana ice cream (sometimes called “nice cream”) was a natural choice. This homemade banana ice cream recipe is surprisingly easy to make, with just 1 ingredient (plus the best toppings)!
Unlike my almond milk and coconut milk ice cream recipes, this homemade ice cream with banana is more similar to my sorbet in that it relies entirely on fresh fruit. No dairy or ice cream maker needed!
Why You’ll Love This Banana Ice Cream Recipe
- Creamy and luxurious texture
- Sweet banana flavor
- Chocolate peanut butter topping to feel like a treat
- Just 1 ingredient (bananas!), plus toppings
- Quick 10-minute prep time
- Naturally sweetened from bananas — no added sugar!
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan
- Perfect cool summer treat for the 4th of July
Chocolate and banana makes one of the best flavor combos, so I always top this dessert with ChocZero Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Chips. They taste just like the regular kind, without all the sugar, sugar alcohols, soy, or GMOs. I use them in everything from zucchini brownies to protein donuts!
(Use code WHOLESOMEYUM for 10% off, just for Wholesome Yum readers!)
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for homemade frozen banana ice cream what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Bananas – Look for ripe bananas with yellow skins that have some brown spots, as they are the best for making banana ice cream. You can also tell if a banana is ripe by pressing gently on the end; if it yields slightly to your touch, it’s ready to be used.
- Peanut Butter – For a banana-peanut butter ice cream, microwave peanut butter for 10-15 seconds and stir to make it into a drizzle. You can also use other nut butters, or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
- ChocZero Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Chips – You could also use regular chocolate chips depending on your goals… or ChocZero Peanut Butter Chips!
VARIATION: Make it creamier!
Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of full-fat coconut milk, almond milk, half and half, or even heavy whipping cream to make this ice cream from frozen bananas even creamier.
How To Make Banana Ice Cream
This section shows how to make ice cream with bananas, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Freeze the bananas. Peel the bananas and slice in halves or thirds. Place them on a parchment lined sheet pan. Freeze until solid.
- Puree. Blend bananas in a food processor (or high-power blender) until smooth and creamy.
TIP: For a more traditional ice cream texture, freeze again.
For a soft serve ice cream, serve right away. For a more traditional ice cream texture, transfer to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for at least 1 hour, until fully set. Let defrost for 5 minutes before scooping.
- Scoop. Use an ice cream scoop to portion the banana ice cream into bowls.
- Add toppings. Drizzle with peanut butter and top with ChocZero dark chocolate chips. (You can also garnish with fresh banana slices if you have extra bananas.)
- Strawberry Banana – Add 6 cups of frozen strawberries to the food processor with the frozen bananas.
- Coconut Banana – For a delicious twist to this ice cream with banana recipe, omit the peanut butter and chocolate. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the banana mixture and sprinkle with toasted coconut chips.
- Salted Caramel Banana – Omit chocolate chips and peanut butter. Drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Chocolate – Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder when blending bananas. Or, simply drizzle homemade ice cream with bananas with sugar-free chocolate syrup.
Banana ice cream will last in the freezer for up to 3 months without affecting its flavor and texture. To ensure that it’s soft and creamy, take it out of the freezer 10-15 minutes before serving.
More Healthy Ice Cream Recipes
Ice cream doesn’t have to be loaded with sugar and fillers… try these easy options with natural ingredients:
Banana Ice Cream (1 Ingredient!)
Make a homemade banana ice cream recipe with just 1 simple ingredient and 10 minutes of hands-on prep. It's the best healthy summer dessert!
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Peel bananas and slice in half or thirds (this will make them easier to blend when frozen).
Place the bananas on a parchment lined sheet pan and place in the freezer. Freeze for at least 4-6 hours, or overnight, until solid.
Transfer frozen bananas to a food processor (or high-power blender). Blend until smooth and creamy.
For a soft-serve texture, serve right away. For a more traditional ice cream texture, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 1 hour, until fully set. Let defrost on the counter for 5 minutes before scooping.
Serve banana ice cream with a drizzle of peanut butter and ChocZero dark chocolate chips on top.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂