FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- Is Cream Cheese Frosting Keto?
- How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting Without Powdered Sugar
- What If You Don’t Have Powdered Sweetener?
- How To Make Keto Cream Cheese Frosting
- Ingredient Ratios in My Favorite Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting
- How To Pipe Cream Cheese Frosting
- How To Store Cream Cheese Frosting
- Does Cream Cheese Frosting Freeze Well?
- Ways To Use Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- Tools To Make Keto Cream Cheese Icing
- Low Carb Keto Cream Cheese Frosting without Powdered Sugar
This low carb keto cream cheese frosting recipe was originally created for making keto carrot cake, my all-time favorite spring dessert. And I’m so glad I did, because I’ve found so many delicious ways to use this sugar-free cream cheese frosting since then. Pairing beautifully with so many different desserts, it works equally well as a keto icing recipe (that you spread) and a low carb frosting (that you pipe). It’s not just the best cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar… I’d say this is the best one, period.
This keto cream cheese frosting recipe was originally published on February 17, 2018, and was republished in December 2019 to add better photos and better tips. If you’re curious, here’s one of the original photos:
Is Cream Cheese Frosting Keto?
No, regular cream cheese frosting is not keto because it contains sugar. (Lots of sugar.)
Traditional cream cheese frosting is pretty much the opposite of low carb. Fortunately, it’s actually very easy to make keto cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar.
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting Without Powdered Sugar
How do you make cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar? Use powdered erythritol instead!
Yep, powdered erythritol works basically the same way as sugar in this low carb cream cheese frosting recipe. It’s even a natural sweetener, too.
The difference is, no powdered sugar means no insulin spike. And, no sugar crash later. Yay!
What If You Don’t Have Powdered Sweetener?
If you don’t want to buy the powdered kind, you can also use granulated erythritol. In fact, you can use any granulated sweetener you like, like monk fruit or a stevia blend. I have a guide covering all the sugar-free sweeteners here.
TIP: If you use a granulated sweetener, you have to powder it in a food processor or coffee grinder. It needs to be powdered before adding it to the frosting, otherwise, your keto cream cheese frosting will be grainy.
How To Make Keto Cream Cheese Frosting
So, how do you make low carb cream cheese frosting? It’s very straightforward.
All you need are five ingredients and a hand mixer!
- Beat together cream cheese and butter, until the mixture is fluffy.
TIP: Make sure both the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature first. Otherwise, they will be too stiff and may not mix well.
- Beat in powdered sweetener and vanilla. (This is where you’ll want to grind your sweetener first if it’s not already powdered.)
- Thin out the frosting to a creamy consistency. The way I do it is by adding some heavy cream, and you can adjust the amount to your liking. If you like, you could also use any milk of your choice, such as almond or coconut milk.
TIP: If you want your sugar-free frosting recipe to be keto friendly, don’t use regular dairy milk, which has sugar from the lactose.
Ingredient Ratios in My Favorite Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting
One thing that makes this low carb cream cheese frosting a little different from most is the ratios. I don’t like a lot of butter in my cream cheese frosting.
My sugar-free cream cheese frosting recipe has a 4:1 ratio of cream cheese to butter.
I prefer to let the slightly tart flavor of the cream cheese shine through. But if that’s not your thing? No problem! It’s super easy to customize.
TIP: If you’d rather have a stronger buttercream frosting flavor or texture, feel free to change up the ratio – you just want 10 tablespoons total. More butter and less cream cheese should work just fine.
I’m pretty sure that almost any ratio in this keto cream cheese frosting would still be delicious! 😉
How To Pipe Cream Cheese Frosting
How to pipe cream cheese frosting will partially depend on what you are using it for. For some uses, such as bars or a regular cake, you can just spread it on, whereas others require a piping bag.
To pipe cream cheese frosting in a pattern, such as for cake decorating or topping cupcakes, transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a piping tip.
TIP: If you don’t have any piping bags or tips, you can simply use a plastic bag with a corner snipped off.
For frosting cupcakes or any other round shape, start from the center, forming a spiral outward, and then continue the spiral inward again, ending back at the center.
How To Store Cream Cheese Frosting
You can make low carb cream cheese frosting ahead of time if you like. It only takes like five minutes to make to begin with, so not sure how much you are saving, but feel free if you’re so inclined.
Keto cream cheese icing will store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just make sure to let it come to room temperature before trying to use it.
Does Cream Cheese Frosting Freeze Well?
Yes, absolutely! If you want to make a big batch of sugar-free cream cheese frosting, you can freeze it. Simply transfer it to a zip lock bag and push all the air out before sealing.
Before using frozen sugar-free cream cheese frosting, let it thaw in the fridge. Then, let it come to room temperature on the counter before using.
TIP: To avoid any texture issues after freezing, beat the low carb cream cheese frosting briefly again (or at least stir or whisk well if that seems sufficient), right before using.
Ways To Use Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
What are your favorite ways to use sugar-free cream cheese frosting? Here are some of mine:
- Keto Pumpkin Bars – These are my most popular pumpkin recipe, and something tells me the frosting has a little to do with it.
- Sugar-Free Cupcakes – They already have a raspberry frosting, but would be just as delicious with this sugar-free cream cheese frosting instead.
- Keto Birthday Cake – This vanilla cake is so good that my non-keto friends and family can’t tell the difference. 😉
- Keto Mug Muffin – The low carb cream cheese frosting pairs perfectly with the cinnamon swirl.
- Keto Carrot Cake – This was the reason I first made this cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar!
If you have ideas of your own, I want to hear about them. I know I’m going to be experimenting with this keto cream cheese frosting a lot. If you use it too, I’d love to know!
Tools To Make Keto Cream Cheese Icing
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Hand Mixer – This is the one I have and love. It’s super powerful and I like the storage for all the pieces.
- Piping Bag & Tip Set – This set has lots of different tips for adding keto frosting to cupcakes and more!
Low Carb Keto Cream Cheese Frosting without Powdered Sugar:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto Cream Cheese Frosting without Powdered Sugar
Want to see how to make cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar? It's so easy! This delicious, low carb keto cream cheese frosting recipe has just 5 ingredients. Use sugar-free keto cream cheese icing to frost cupcakes, cakes, and more.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Use a hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese and butter, until fluffy.
- Beat in the sweetener and vanilla, until well incorporated.
- Add cream and beat again, until creamy. You can adjust the amount of cream to desired consistency.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 tbsp
Video Showing How To Make Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂