FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- Is Frosting Keto?
- How To Make Keto Chocolate Frosting
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Frosting Nutrition
- How To Avoid Air Bubbles In Keto Frosting
- How To Store Low Carb Frosting
- Can You Freeze Keto Icing?
- How To Use Sugar-free Chocolate Frosting
- Tools To Make Sugar-free Chocolate Frosting
- Sugar-Free Keto Chocolate Frosting Recipe
Every keto kitchen needs a keto frosting recipe. And this keto chocolate frosting recipe is the one to keep in your back pocket at all times. Low carb frosting that actually tastes like deliciously sweet frosting? YES INDEED. We’re using an erythritol/monk-fruit sweetener blend in this sugar-free chocolate frosting for all of the rich and sweet flavor, without all of the sugar and carbs that usually come along with it. With just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes, you’ll have homemade sugar-free frosting.
The hardest part? Trying to decide what to put it on. A spoon works well… not that I know from experience or anything. 😉 And of course, keto chocolate cupcakes.
One of my favorite things about coming up with keto and low carb recipes for you all is to show you that you don’t have to give up anything even if you’re following a keto or low carb diet. With a few simple swaps, your favorites can be made low carb and wholesome. And this keto chocolate frosting is the perfect example. Now, go take care of that chocolate fix!
Is Frosting Keto?
Most frosting is not going to be keto. But this keto cake frosting recipe sure is! 😉
Many frosting recipes are loaded with sugar and definitely not keto, but we’re making a carb free icing (as carb-free as we can get!) with a keto-approved sweetener like the erythritol/monk fruit blend I use in this keto cake frosting recipe.
Each serving has just 1 gram net carb!
How To Make Keto Chocolate Frosting
This keto chocolate frosting recipe is ready in minutes. Which is definitely a good thing, because you’ll want to start scooping into it ASAP.
Best of all? No one will ever guess it’s keto, because it tastes just like the real thing.
Here’s how to make low carb chocolate frosting:
- Beat the butter. Using a hand mixer, beat the butter until it is fluffy. It will take about one minute to get it nice and whipped.
TIP: Make sure to properly beat the butter until it’s light in color and creamy – this is the key to fluffy, light sugar-free frosting!
- Beat in dry ingredients. Beat in the cocoa powder, sweetener, and vanilla extract. Start at a low speed and increase it to high once everything is incorporated. Beat for about 30 seconds.
- Beat in heavy cream. The final step to this keto frosting recipe! The cream will make it smooth and fluffy.
TIP: You can adjust the chocolate flavor and consistency by adjusting the amount of cocoa powder or cream to your liking.
- Frost away! Your sugar-free chocolate frosting is ready-to-eat.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Frosting Nutrition
Not only will you love the way this sugar-free chocolate frosting tastes, but you’ll also love the nutrition stats!
The full nutrition information can be found below, but here are the highlights per serving:
- 131 calories
- 14 grams fat
- 1 gram net carbs
How To Avoid Air Bubbles In Keto Frosting
I was a bit impatient to frost my cupcakes immediately, which is why my they had a few air bubbles. (I don’t care!)
But if you don’t want air bubbles, simply let the frosting rest!
For best results, refrigerate overnight, then let it come to room temperature before using your low carb chocolate frosting.
How To Store Low Carb Frosting
Store this sugar-free frosting recipe in the refrigerator, as it has butter and heavy cream in it.
It will harden in the fridge, but you can simply let it warm up a bit on the counter and give it a quick stir to make it fluffy again.
The no carb frosting will last for one week in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Keto Icing?
You can also freeze this keto frosting if you won’t be able to use it within a week. (I don’t see how this would ever happen, but just in case. ;))
Store the frosting in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight to let it soften and give it a quick stir.
How To Use Sugar-free Chocolate Frosting
You’ll have no issues at all using up this keto cake frosting! I’m sharing a few of my favorite ways to eat it up – some are obvious, a few are a little different but definitely worth a try:
- Keto Chocolate Cupcakes – This may be an obvious one, but chocolate cupcakes need this easy sugar-free chocolate frosting.
- Vanilla Keto Birthday Cake – Vanilla and chocolate together, in the most perfect of flavor combinations (IMHO). Top the sugar free chocolate frosting recipe with some sugar-free sprinkles to make things extra festive.
- Healthy Chocolate Mug Cakes – When you can’t wait for an entire cake to bake, make this quick mug cake, then top with sugar-free frosting.
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies – Yes, this is just being a tad over-the-top, but you’ll thank me once you try a keto cookie sandwich. Two chocolate chip cookies, with a healthy spread of keto chocolate frosting in between.
Tools To Make Sugar-free Chocolate Frosting
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Hand Mixer – Using a hand mixer is the best way to ensure that your sugar-free frosting recipe turns out perfectly each and every time. This is the one I use and you’ll love how easy it is to store.
- Cake Decorating Kit – If you want to make keto cupcakes that look as gorgeous as ones from the bakery, this kit makes it easy! Simply choose the tip based on how you want your keto icing for cake to look, and fill the silicone pastry bag.
- Acrylic Cupcake Stand – If you’re making keto cupcakes for a party or gathering, this cupcake stand is a must and will show them off in the way they deserve to be!
Low Carb Keto Chocolate Frosting Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Sugar-Free Keto Chocolate Frosting Recipe
See how to make sugar-free keto chocolate frosting that tastes like the real thing! My easy keto low carb keto frosting recipe takes just 5 ingredients + 5 minutes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Using a hand mixer in a bowl, beat the butter for about 1 minute, until fluffy.
Beat in the cocoa powder, sweetener, and vanilla extract, starting at low speed and increasing to high once it gets incorporated. Beat for 30 seconds on high.
Beat in heavy cream. (You can add more to thin out as needed.) Start low, then beat for 30 seconds on high again, until smooth and fluffy.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Entire recipe makes 2 1/2 cups.
Video Showing How To Make Chocolate Frosting:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Chocolate Frosting!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂