Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
With all the pumpkin recipes I have, it’s about time I share this timeless, use-it-for-everything DIY pumpkin pie spice recipe. All you need is 5 minutes and 5 simple individual spices. If you’re looking for a pumpkin blend substitute that doesn’t contain any sugar or weird ingredients, this one comes together so quickly. You’ll wonder why you didn’t do this sooner.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- Warm and aromatic flavors
- Just 5 simple pantry ingredients
- Just 5 minutes prep time
- 100% natural, with no added sugar
- You control quality and freshness
- Perfect for all kinds of pumpkin recipes
What Is Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Pumpkin spice is a blend of spices made with a base of ground cinnamon, along with other warming spices. It can be used to flavor pumpkin pie, cake, cupcakes, pumpkin bread, and just about anything pumpkin flavored!
Pumpkin Spice Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best pumpkin pie spice ingredients, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Cinnamon – This is the base of this pumpkin pie spice recipe, and adds warm and sweet notes. Make sure your cinnamon is fresh so that it has all of its flavor!
- Nutmeg – Nutmeg has distinct flavor (you’ll recognize it!) and is slightly sweet. It’s commonly found in baked goods and eggnog. A possible substitute for nutmeg could be mace or ground cardamom, which comes from the same plant and has a similar flavor.
- Ground Ginger – Adds a subtle kick and depth.
- Ground Allspice – Contrary to the name, this is an individual spice that contributes a warm and slightly peppery flavor.
- Ground Cloves – These offer a strong and aromatic flavor. If you don’t have any or aren’t a fan, you can use more allspice as a substitute, although the flavor will be slightly different.
Does pumpkin spice have sugar in it?
No, this pumpkin spice mix doesn’t have any sugar. Some store-bought versions do contain sugar or sweeteners, or sometimes starches, which is one of the reasons I prefer to make my own!
How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
Simply stir all the pumpkin pie spice mix ingredients together in a small bowl, then place in an airtight container or small glass jar.
TIP: I like to use a mini whisk to stir. This helps break up any clumps of spices.
If you want to make a big batch of pumpkin pie spice to have on hand for recipes, go for it because it stores very well! Keep it in airtight jars such as jars with lids, small multi-purpose jars (I like these), or spice organizers in the cupboard. It will last up to 2-3 years, but tastes best within 1 year.
Ways To Use Pumpkin Spice
Now that you know how to make pumpkin pie spice, here are some delicious — and healthy — ways to use it:
- Pumpkin Pie – Obviously, you’ll need this homemade spice blend for traditional pumpkin pie, but if you want healthier options, try my crustless pumpkin pie or make sugar-free pumpkin pie with an almond flour crust.
- Dessert – Really you can use this homemade pumpkin pie spice mixture for just about any pumpkin dessert recipe. Try my sugar free pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin cake, chewy pumpkin cookies, or healthy pumpkin bars.
- Drinks – Use it to make a hot pumpkin spice latte. If you want pumpkin flavored coffee, use it to make sugar-free coffee creamer.
- Breakfast – If you want quick and easy pumpkin breakfast recipes, use this spice to make almond flour pumpkin bread or crispy chaffles (there’s a pumpkin spice version!). You could even sprinkle it to make pumpkin granola.
- Fruit – Sprinkle it over fresh sliced or diced apples, peaches, or even make fall-inspired apple chips.
How much pumpkin pie spice to use?
Most pumpkin baking recipes will use between 1-3 teaspoons for the entire recipe. That’s an estimate, but for best results, just follow the recipe you are making.
On the recipe card below, a serving of pumpkin pie spice is 1/4 teaspoon, which is a common amount in a single serving of a pumpkin dessert.
More Easy Seasoning Recipes
If you like to create your own spice blends with clean ingredients and save money along the way, try these quick and easy homemade spice mix ideas:
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe (5 Ingredients!)
Learn how to make pumpkin pie spice with just 5 simple ingredients, and you can use it for every pumpkin recipe out there. It's so easy!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1/4 tsp
Makes 1/2 cup spice mix. Most pumpkin baking recipes use 1-3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice for a batch of cookies, muffins, cake, pie, etc.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂