FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This post is sponsored by ChocZero. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
Need a fast dessert for one? Look no further than this easy low carb keto mug brownie! If you like my chocolate mug cake or protein mug cake, but are looking for something more fudgy, this one is for you. Keep this healthy brownie in a mug recipe on hand whenever chocolate cravings strike.
Chocolate makes all the difference when you’re making an ooey-gooey keto mug brownie… which is why I only recommend ChocZero Dark Chocolate Chips for this recipe! With just 1 net carb per large serving, it’s easy to be generous with these little chips… plus they contain no sugar, sugar alcohols, gluten or soy. Everyone will love a low carb mug brownie made with this chocolate!
(Use code WHOLESOMEYUM for 10% off, just for Wholesome Yum readers!)
What Is A Keto Mug Brownie?
A mug brownie has everything you love about a conventional brownie, except it’s healthy and made in minutes. Much like a keto mug cake recipe, it uses conventional baking ingredients and cooks the batter quickly in the microwave instead of a conventional oven. Unlike other brownie recipes, this healthy brownie in a mug contains no sugar or gluten whatsoever!
Why You’ll Love This Low Carb Mug Brownie Recipe
- Rich chocolate flavor
- Moist, fudgy texture
- Uses basic keto kitchen staples
- Cooks in less than a minute
- Just 4.2 grams of net carbohydrates per serving
- Naturally gluten-free
- Satisfies chocolate cravings fast, without sugar!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this keto brownie in a mug recipe, what each one does, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- ChocZero Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Chips – Essential for any chocolate keto treat! They taste just like real chocolate without any added sugar. We’re adding some right into the brownie batter to make it more rich, plus leaving extra for topping. If you want to mix it up, ChocZero also has milk or white chocolate chips that you could use!
- Wholesome Yum Almond Flour – The fine grind in this flour makes every bite taste like an authentic brownie. If you need a nut-free option, you could try replacing the 1 1/2 tablespoons of almond flour with just 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of coconut flour (that’s a good estimate for the conversion ratio), but I haven’t tried it to confirm if it works.
- Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – This sweetener dissolves perfectly into the brownie batter and locks in the moisture, all with 0 grams of net carbs. The brownie would be more dry with an erythritol-based sweetener, such as Swerve or Lakanto, so I generally don’t recommend these for brownies.
- Butter – I use grass-fed butter for the flavor and benefits, but any unsalted butter works here. You can also use coconut oil for a vegan, dairy-free alternative.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – Make sure it is at room temperature. You can use store-bought versions or make your own homemade almond milk. Other keto milk options, including nut-free ones like hemp milk or coconut milk beverage, would also work fine.
- Vanilla Extract – Use a high-quality variety if you can — you’ll taste the difference.
- Cocoa Powder – This adds a deeper chocolate flavor than chocolate chips alone, but the chocolate chips add richness, which is why we are using both. I recommend Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
- Sea Salt – Just a pinch to balance the sweet flavors from the chocolate and sweetener.
How To Make A Mug Brownie (The Healthy Way!)
This section shows how to make a keto brownie mug cake, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Prepare wet ingredients. In a microwave-safe mug or ramekin, melt butter. Whisk in almond milk and vanilla. (Alternatively, you can also mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl if that’s easier, than transfer to a ramekin afterward, but I prefer less cleanup.)
- Add dry ingredients. Add cocoa powder, almond flour, Besti, and salt. Mix well. Add half of the chocolate chips to the mixture and smooth the top.
- Cook. Microwave the healthy brownie in a mug (or ramekin) for 40-50 seconds, until the top looks slightly moist but not wet. (You can also bake it in the oven at 350 degrees F, but I haven’t tested the baking time, so keep checking on it every few minutes.)
TIP: Test with a toothpick. A toothpick inserted into the low carb mug brownie should come out with a slight amount of batter that you can roll between your fingers. It might have a bit of oil pooled on top, which will reabsorb into the brownie as it cools from hot to warm.
- Garnish. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. (I recommend doing this while the brownie is still hot, so they get a little melty!)
It’s easy to customize this healthy brownie in a mug to suit your tastes! Try these ingredient variations:
- Use other flavors of sugar-free chocolate chips – This keto brownie mug would taste fabulous with sugar-free white chocolate chips or peanut butter chips.
- Make the batter nutty – Stir keto nuts such as walnuts, pecans, or almonds into the batter before cooking.
- Add a creamy garnish – Top your keto friendly brownie in a mug with low carb ice cream, sugar-free whipped cream, runny peanut butter, or even sugar-free buttercream frosting.
- Store: Keep leftovers covered at room temperature for up to 1 day, or in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Reheat: Enjoy cold, at room temperature, or microwave at low power until warm. Be careful not to overheat, or the brownie will dry out.
- Freeze: Wrap the mug brownie tightly in plastic wrap and freeze. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature before serving.
More Fudgy Keto Chocolate Recipes
If you like brownies, you’ll love these chocolaty low carb treats!
Keto Brownie Mug Cake Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Mug Brownie Recipe (Easy & Fudgy!)
This low carb keto mug brownie recipe is the best way to make a healthy brownie in a mug or ramekin, in just 3 minutes! It's super fudgy and sweet, with only 4g net carbs.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a 6-ounce ramekin, melt the butter by heating it for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
Stir in the almond milk and vanilla extract.
Stir in the cocoa powder, almond flour, Besti, and sea salt. Mix well.
Stir in half of the chocolate chips. Smooth the top.
Microwave for 40-50 seconds, until the top looks a little oily but is not wet underneath. (The oils will reabsorb after cooling.) An inserted toothpick should come out with a little batter that can form a ball between your fingers.
While the brownie is still hot, sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top. (They will melt slightly.)
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 mug brownie
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂