This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I’m a little reluctant calling a recipe “the best”. Even though I can’t resist doing it sometimes, who am I to say that there isn’t a better version out there? In this case, though, I feel fairly confident stating that this is the best chocolate avocado brownies recipe.
Recipe development is so funny. Sometimes I’ll make something once and know right away that it’s ready to post on the blog. Other times, I’ll prepare the same dish over and over, trying to find the perfect balance of ingredients and cooking method.
This was definitely the second situation. I made these fudgy avocado brownies six times! Needless to say, I had some pretty dismal versions as I was experimenting. I ate them all anyway, because you don’t throw away brownies!
Each time, the end result kept getting closer to what I wanted. And, I learned a lot along the way!
Paleo Healthy Brownies Made with Avocado
If you are skeptical about making brownies with avocado, don’t be. You won’t be able to tell it’s in there! At least not with this recipe.
Granted, I’m no stranger to recipes for healthy brownies. We have keto brownies and low carb brownies with almond butter on regular rotation. That’s even considering that my husband isn’t big on brownies, in general.
Healthy brownies made with avocado take it to a whole new level, though.
Avocado creates a super rich, fudgy texture. At the same time, the cocoa powder and chocolate are powerful enough to mask its flavor. No one will know there’s smashed avocado in these brownies. All you can taste is the chocolate!
If you want paleo avocado brownies, these will fit into that diet as well. Most people agree that grass-fed butter is allowed. Otherwise, you may be able to use ghee, but probably need to reduce the amount by 1-2 tablespoons. Ghee has a higher fat content than butter, which is why you’ll need a little less.
The Keys to Fudgy Avocado Brownies
As I found throughout my experiments, healthy brownies can be absolutely delicious or a disaster. Don’t worry, I’ll cover all the tips and tricks here:
- You still need butter. I know, I know. Isn’t half the point of putting avocado in brownies to make them healthy brownies? Well, yes, but flavor matters, too. For the best taste, you really need a blend of both avocado and butter in there. You can buy grass-fed butter for maximum benefits, but please don’t skip it. Believe me, I’ve tried!
- Do not alter the sweetener amount (too much). In a recipe like brownies, the sweetener does more than provide sweetness. It also affects the consistency and structure of the end result. So if you use too much or too little, you may end up with brownies that are too wet or too dry. You can certainly tweak the sweetener a little, just not too drastically. As the recipe is written, the brownies are not super sweet, so you can add a couple more tablespoons if you prefer a sweeter brownie.
- Most granulated sweeteners will work. The amount of sweetener matters, but the good news is you can use most types. Feel free to use coconut sugar for paleo. I like erythritol best in my sugar-free avocado brownies. Just don’t use anything super concentrated, like pure stevia, because the amount would need to change too much, requiring other recipe changes.
- Use both chocolate and cocoa powder. Some brownie recipes use cocoa powder, others use chocolate. So, which one to use? The chocolate is less dry, but the cocoa powder provides a deeper chocolate flavor. This recipe uses both, which had a better result than one or the other alone.
- Do not over-bake. This is probably the single most important rule for making fudgy avocado brownies. Or any brownies, for that matter. Take the brownies out of the oven when they are just barely set, and still very, very soft. If you insert a toothpick, it should come out with a tiny amount of brownie batter on it that you can roll into a ball between your fingers. If you wait until the toothpick comes out clean, they will be too dry!
Do you have other tips I should include? If you try this chocolate avocado brownies recipe, let me know and I’d love to add them here!
The Best Chocolate Avocado Brownies Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
(Click the button above to open the pin, then click "Save" to save it to a board.)
Want more low carb, gluten-free chocolate desserts? Try these: