This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Is Keto Lava Cake?
- Why You’ll Love This Keto Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- Low Carb Healthy Lava Cake Ingredients
- How To Make Keto Lava Cake
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- What To Serve With Keto Chocolate Lava Cake
- More Chocolaty Keto Dessert Recipes
- Tools To Make Healthy Lava Cake
- Keto Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
This post is sponsored by ChocZero. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
Prepare yourself for the most decadent keto chocolate lava cake! Learn how to make a low carb lava cake that stays moist on the outside and ooey gooey on the inside, with just a few simple ingredients. Best of all, this healthy lava cake is totally sugar free — so you won’t crash after enjoying it.
This recipe is the perfect keto dessert for two, so you can make it for date nights, anniversaries, or even Valentine’s Day. But if you need a bigger batch, it’s easy to scale it to any number of servings you want, in multiples of two.
In order to make a keto molten lava cake that tastes just as delicious as the real deal, your choice of keto friendly chocolate makes a huge difference. That’s why I picked ChocZero 70% Dark Chocolate Squares! Each square captures all the richness of real dark chocolate, without added sugar, sugar alcohols, gluten, or GMOs. Plus, thanks to plenty of fiber, each has just 1 net carb, making these squares the ideal choice for a healthy chocolate lava cake recipe.
(Use code WHOLESOMEYUM for 10% off!)
What Is Keto Lava Cake?
Lava cake is a single-serving chocolate cake with a melty, molten chocolate center. A keto lava cake recipe has all the same elements, but uses low carb ingredients, like almond flour and sugar-free chocolate.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- Rich and sweet dark chocolate taste
- Gooey, melty center
- Easy prep (no fridge or plastic wrap needed, unlike some recipes)
- Ready in 20 minutes
- 4.7 grams net carbs per cake
- Totally gluten-free and sugar-free
Low Carb Healthy Lava Cake Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto friendly chocolate lava cake, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- ChocZero 70% Dark Chocolate Squares – For a melty interior and chocolaty flavor, without cocoa powder! You could use darker chocolate squares, but you’ll need to watch them carefully when melting.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – This powdered sweetener mixes easily into the batter and creates a soft cake on the outside. I would not recommend substitutions like erythritol, since the cake can turn out gritty with those.
- Wholesome Yum Blanched Almond Flour – It’s very finely ground, so this low carb lava cake stays fluffy and moist.
- Butter – Use your favorite kind, but keep it unsalted.
- Eggs – You’ll need a whole egg plus an egg yolk. Use large eggs. Make sure your eggs at room temperature.
- Sea Salt – Balances the sweet flavor in this keto lava cake.
How To Make Keto Lava Cake
This section shows how to make keto friendly lava cake with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Prep ramekins. Grease each one with butter and place on a baking sheet.
- Melt chocolate. Using a double boiler, heat butter and chocolate together until melted.
TIP: Avoid overheating. Chocolate can seize and get clumpy at high temperatures. This can also happen if there are any drops of water in the bowl, so make sure it’s completely dry before you add the chocolate.
- Prep batter. Use a hand mixer to whisk together the egg and egg yolk, sweetener, and sea salt in a mixing bowl, until light yellow in color.
TIP: Sometimes I like to add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract here, but it’s not required.
- Add chocolate and flour. Add melted chocolate and almond flour to the egg mixture and beat until combined.
- Bake. Pour the batter into prepared ramekins and bake until edges are set and center is slightly jiggly.
- Plate. Run a knife around the edges of ramekins to loosen the cakes. Place an upside-down plate over each ramekin and invert cakes onto their plates. Allow ramekins to sit for 30 seconds, then tap them against the plates several times to release and remove the cakes.
When you lift the ramekin, the low carb lava cake will look mostly set, with a shiny center:
- Serve. Garnish cakes with whipped cream, powdered sweetener, and raspberries (or your favorite berries), if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is chocolate lava cake keto?
Most lava cakes are not keto friendly, since they use white flour and sugar, which are high in carbohydrates. This healthy lava cake is low carb and keto, though — just 4.7 grams of net carbs per cake!
Can I make keto lava cake with coconut flour?
Making a keto lava cake with almond flour creates more cake-like results. You could try using a teaspoon of coconut flour in place of the tablespoon of almond flour, but I can’t guarantee that it would work. Let me know how it goes if you give it a try.
Can I make keto lava cake in a mug instead of a ramekin?
Mug cakes usually cook in the microwave, making it more difficult for the batter to cook evenly and get a melty center every time. An oven is a better choice for this particular cake.
If you have an oven-safe mug, it’s fine to use that instead of a ramekin, but you’ll still want to bake it in the oven.
For quicker prep (and a less elegant presentation), try this keto chocolate mug cake instead and tuck a few whole dark chocolate squares in the middle.
- Store: Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The cake will solidify in the middle when cold, so you’ll want to reheat it before enjoying.
- Reheat: For best results, reheat in a 350 degree F oven for about 10 minutes, until warm. You can also place the lava cake on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 30-40 seconds.
- Freeze: Cool cakes completely, place on a lined baking sheet, and store in the freezer until solid. Remove and wrap tightly before freezing up to 3 months. (Again, cake may have a less molten inside after thawing and reheating.)
What To Serve With Keto Chocolate Lava Cake
This is one of those keto desserts where there’s no wrong way to serve it! Try it with these mouthwatering toppings:
More Chocolaty Keto Dessert Recipes
It doesn’t stop at lava cakes… get rich chocolate flavor without the sugar in these easy treats!
- Coconut Flour Brownies
- Chocolate Protein Donuts
- Keto Magic Cookie Bars
- Keto Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Truffles
Easy Keto Lava Cake Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
A sugar-free, keto chocolate lava cake recipe with a rich molten chocolate center! Make this healthy lava cake with just 6 ingredients and 20 minutes.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
To set up a double boiler, bring water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Place a glass or stainless steel bowl on top. Add the butter and chocolate. Heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until melted. Be careful not to overheat, or the chocolate will seize.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the eggs, egg yolks, Besti, and sea salt at high speed for about 1 minute, until light yellow.
Add the melted chocolate and almond flour to the bowl with the eggs and beat immediately, until combined.
Divide the batter among the two ramekins. Bake for 6-7 minutes, until the edges are set and an area of about 1-1.5 inches in diameter in the center is still just slightly jiggly.
Remove ramekins from the oven and let them sit for 1 minute. Run a knife around the edges to loosen. Place an upside down plate over each ramekin and using an oven mitt, carefully flip over to invert the cake onto the plate. Let the ramekin sit upside down for 30 seconds. Then, tap the ramekin against the plate several times to release and lift the ramekin.
Serve immediately, dusting with more powdered Besti if desired.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 lava cake
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂