This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Summertime means quick and easy keto desserts, but this easy keto chocolate mousse recipe is one you’ll want to make all year long. This sugar-free low carb mousse has just 1.6 grams net carbs per serving, making it a delicious and simple way to satisfy those chocolate cravings, in a healthy and low carb way!
What Is Chocolate Mousse?
Traditional chocolate mousse is made with egg yolks and whites, with the whites providing lift and the yolks providing creaminess. It’s a little fussy — you have to separate and temper the eggs, and there are multiple steps. This keto chocolate mousse with heavy cream is a lot simpler, with just 4 ingredients and five fuss-free steps.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- Thick, creamy, and decadent
- Full of rich, chocolaty flavor
- Easy to make
- Takes just 10 minutes
- Just 1.6g net carbs per serving
- No oven required — it’s the perfect no bake keto dessert for a hot day!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto mousse, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- ChocZero Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Chips – These are my go-to for all my keto chocolate chip recipes — I use them to make keto chocolate chip cookies, sprinkle on (or fold into) keto pancakes, and for this easy chocolate mousse keto recipe. They are low carb, sweetened with monk fruit, non-gmo, gluten-free, soy-free (read why I avoid soy here), use only natural ingredients, and taste amazing. Use code WHOLESOMEYUM to get 10% off chocolate chips here!
- Heavy Cream – Whipping the cream makes the mousse fluffy! Sometimes this is called heavy whipping cream. You may be able to substitute coconut cream, but the recipe would still have dairy, because it has mascarpone.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – I highly recommend using powdered Besti for the smoothest quick keto chocolate mousse, because it dissolves completely for a smooth texture. Most other keto sweeteners, including erythritol and other brands of monk fruit, won’t dissolve well and can cause the mousse to crystallize when stored in the fridge. Regular powdered allulose should also work, but you’ll need to use 33% more of it.
- Mascarpone – This is an Italian spread, similar to cream cheese, but less tangy and more buttery. You can buy it at the grocery store, or make homemade mascarpone easily. You’ll love the flavor and texture you get from adding this, but it’s fine to substitute cream cheese if that’s what you have on hand.
- Milk Or White Chocolate – ChocZero also makes keto milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips, so you could swap the dark ones with those to make milk chocolate mousse or white chocolate mousse.
- Peanut Butter – Try my keto peanut butter mousse.
- Fruity – Use white chocolate chips, and blend in cooked, then pureed berries of your choice.
- Extracts – Up the flavor by adding vanilla extract, or others such as hazelnut or mint extract.
How To Make Keto Chocolate Mousse
This section shows how to make keto mousse, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Melt chocolate chips. In a small double boiler on the stove top, or a small bowl in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips. (You can make a double boiler by placing a heat-safe bowl over a saucepan.) Remove from heat and allow to cool until no longer hot, but not solidified.
- Beat cream. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer (hand mixer or stand mixer) to whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. (Don’t let stiff peaks form, which will keep your keto chocolate mousse light and airy.) Sprinkle powdered sweetener on top, and beat until just combined.
TIP: Do not over-mix.
Soft peaks will form trails, but are not super stiff. If you hold your mixer up, the peaks should curve over.
- Mix chocolate and mascarpone. Once the melted chocolate has cooled to lukewarm, stir in the mascarpone, until smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream. To finish your sugar-free mousse, combine the chocolate mixture and the whipped cream in a large mixing bowl, and gently fold together, until just combined. Taste and adjust Besti sweetener if needed.
TIP: Fold, do not stir.
A folding motion ensures that you don’t break down the whipped cream, keeping your mousse fluffy.
- Serve. Transfer low carb chocolate mousse into small glass jars or serving dishes. Serve with a dollop of keto whipped cream and more chocolate chips if desired.
- Store: Keep mousse in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Meal prep: You can definitely make this keto recipe for chocolate mousse ahead for meal (dessert?) prep. Simply divide into serving dishes or glass jars and store in the refrigerator. Wait until right before serving to add any whipped cream topping, if using.
- Freeze: I don’t recommend freezin this keto mousse recipe, as the texture will change when freezing dairy. For best results, it’s best fresh — and since this easy keto dark chocolate mousse is so quick to make, there isn’t much reason for freezing.
More Chocolate Keto Dessert Recipes
If you like this low carb mousse recipe and you’re a chocolate lover, here are more keto chocolate recipes to love:
Sugar-Free Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Keto Chocolate Mousse (10 Minutes!)
This low carb keto chocolate mousse recipe is fluffy, creamy, and decadent, with only 1.6g net carbs per serving. Just 4 ingredients and 10 minutes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small double boiler on the stove top, or a small bowl in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips. (Be careful not to overheat.) Remove from heat. Allow to cool until no longer hot, but just lukewarm and not yet solidified.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle (don’t dump) the powdered sweetener on top, and beat until just combined. Do not over mix – avoid stiff peaks.
Once the melted chocolate is lukewarm, stir in the mascarpone, until smooth.
Add the chocolate mixture to the whipped cream, and gently fold together, until just combined. Taste and adjust sweetener if needed.
Serve keto chocolate mousse in small glass jars or serving dishes. If desired, top with a dollop of whipped cream and more chocolate chips.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/4 entire recipe (~1/3 to 1/2 cup)
Use code WHOLESOMEYUM to get 10% off ChocZero Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂