FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I am SO excited to share this low carb keto flan recipe with you! You might have heard me talk about Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend before, and how unlike most keto sweeteners, it actually browns just like sugar does. Sugar-free plan was the perfect opportunity to take advantage of this unique quality – browning is key in this creamy dessert. Check out that gorgeous (and sugar-free!) clear caramel sauce on top!
What Is Flan?
Flan, also known as creme caramel, is a creamy dessert in the custard family with a layer of clear caramel sauce on top.
How To Make Keto Flan
This easy low carb flan recipe comes together with just 5 minutes to prep plus cooking and cooling time. It may look and sound fancy, but it’s not as hard as you might think…
1. Make caramel sauce
- Dissolve sweetener. Combine Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend and water over low heat, and heat until dissolved.
- Simmer. Increase heat to bring to a boil, then simmer without stirring for about 20-25 minutes, until a golden syrup forms.
- Fill ramekins. Working quickly, divide the syrup evenly among six 6-ounce ramekins. Immediately tilt in different directions to spread the caramel over the bottom and up the sides of the ramekins. Place ramekins into a 9×13 baking dish.
2. Make custard
- Whisk yolks. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Heat cream and sweetener. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat heavy cream, more Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend, and a pinch of salt. Once bubbles start to form on the edges, remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Temper. Slowly pour the cream mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks in a thin stream, while whisking the egg yolks constantly.
3. Bake easy keto flan
- Divide custard. Pour the custard through a fine mesh sieve into the ramekins.
- Bake. Pour hot water into the baking dish, filling it halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until flan is almost set and still jiggles.
IMPORTANT: Do not wait for them to fully set! You want them to still be jiggly in the center. They will set later in the fridge.
- Chill. Remove from oven and leave the ramekins in the water bath to cool for 1 hour. Then, chill at least overnight (or up to 4 days!) before serving.
How To Serve Sugar-Free Flan
Make sure your flan has chilled for at least 8 hours before serving it! Once it’s set in the fridge, here is how to serve it:
- Run a knife along the edges of each ramekin, and continue around until it starts to rotate inside the ramekin.
- Place a small plate with a raised rim on top and invert quickly. With the plate still firmly pressed against the ramekin, shake up and down until you hear the flan release onto the plate.
- Spoon any remaining caramel over the top of the flan.
If desired, garnish with berries and fresh mint!
Tips & Troubleshooting Keto Flan
Why isn’t my caramel sauce turning golden?
It does take longer than regular sugar – about 20-25 minutes – so be patient!
Why is my flan not smooth?
If you have chunks or granules in your sugar-free flan, this can be due to a few reasons. Here is what to do and what to avoid:
- Use the right sweetener. If you don’t use the sweetener called-for in the recipe, it might not work. Most others will crystallize and make a texture that isn’t smooth.
- Temper the custard properly. If you add the cream mixture to the yolks too rapidly or without whisking, this can scramble the egg. To prevent this, be sure to pour in a thin stream while whisking constantly.
- Use a fine mesh sieve. It’s important to strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve when pouring it into the ramekins, to catch any stray pieces that might not be smooth.
Why is my flan cracked or dry?
A few culprits could be responsible for cracking or dry flan. Here is how to prevent them:
- Don’t overbake. Be sure to remove the flan from the oven when it’s still jiggly in the center, not fully set. Similar to a cheesecake. It will be dry and/or cracked if you wait for it to set fully.
- Use a water bath. The water bath helps ensure only gradual changes in temperature. Not using one will lead to cracking.
- Cool in the water bath. Don’t remove the flan from the water bath immediately after baking – be sure it cools in the bath to room temperature before removing and chilling.
Why did my flan not set?
Like any flan, this keto flan recipe is not supposed to fully set in the oven! Take it out while it’s still jiggly – this is normal. Be sure to let it cool at room temperature in the water bath, then chill for at least 8 hours to fully set.
This usually solves the issue, but if it still did not set even after chilling for 8 hours, you likely did take it out of the oven too early.
Low Carb Flan FAQs
Is flan keto friendly?
Regular flan is not keto friendly, as it has loads of sugar.
This sugar-free flan has just 2.8 grams net carbs per serving – perfectly keto friendly!
Can you make sugar free flan?
Yes! Instead of traditional sugar, we’ve used Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend to cut the calories, sugar, and carbs.
Can you use a different sweetener?
The only sweeteners I recommend for this keto flan recipe are Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend (amounts as written on the recipe card below) or Besti Powdered Allulose (you’ll need 33% more of the latter to get the same sweetness).
Other keto sweeteners will not brown properly.
Sugar-Free Flan Storage Instructions
Can you make low carb flan ahead?
Yes, and in fact, you have to make sugar-free flan ahead so that it has time to set. It will need to chill overnight, but can be made up to 4 days in advance.
How to store sugar free flan
Store this sugar free flan recipe in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze sugar free flan custard?
No, this flan keto recipe shouldn’t be frozen. Dairy doesn’t freeze well, as it will change the texture and this flan will not stay silky smooth as it’s supposed to.
More Keto Dessert Recipes
If you like this keto flan recipe, you might also like some of these other low carb keto recipes:
- Keto Cheesecake – This is the most popular dessert on Wholesome Yum! Your non-keto friends and family will even love it.
- Keto Brownies – Just 6 ingredients and super fudgy.
- Keto Oreos – They look and taste like the real thing, but with just 3.5g net carbs in each oversized cookie.
- Keto Angel Food Cake – Light and fluffy angel food cake, made with almond flour and coconut flour and just 2g net carbs per slice.
- Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Fluff – The easiest sugar-free dessert ever! Light and creamy, made with just 6 ingredients + 10 minutes prep.
Tools To Make Keto Friendly Flan
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- 6-ounce Ramekins – These are a must for sugar-free flan! They are the perfect size.
- Fine Mesh Sieve – This set of 3 stainless steel strainers make it easy to strain (and decorate desserts with a dusting of powdered sweetener).
- Saucepans – For this keto flan recipe, you’ll need a small saucepan to make the sauce and a medium-large saucepan for the custard base.
Keto Flan Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Flan Recipe
This easy low carb keto flan recipe is perfection - with a key ingredient for a super creamy base and browned caramel on top. You won't be able to tell this is sugar-free flan at all.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
In a small saucepan over low heat, combine 1/2 cup Besti (72g) and 1/4 cup water (59 ml). Heat until dissolved.
Increase heat to bring to a boil, then simmer without stirring for about 20-25 minutes, until a golden syrup forms.
Working quickly, divide the syrup evenly among 6 6-ounce ramekins and immediately tilt in different directions to spread the caramel over the bottom and up the sides of the ramekins. Place the ramekins into a 9x13 baking dish.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the heavy cream, remaining 1/2 cup Besti (72 g), and a pinch of salt. Once bubbles start to form on the edges, remove from heat. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
Slowly pour the cream mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks in a thin stream, while whisking the egg yolks constantly. This is called tempering and forms the custard.
Pour the custard through a fine mesh sieve into the ramekins.
Pour hot water into the baking dish, filling it halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
Bake for about 20-30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through, until the flan is almost set and still jiggles slightly in the center. (It will not be fully set at this stage.)
Remove from the oven and leave the ramekins in the water bath to cool for 1 hour. Then, dry the ramekins, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight, up to 4 days.
To serve, run a knife along the edges of each ramekin, and continue around until it starts to rotate inside the ramekin.
Then, place a small plate with a raised rim on top and invert quickly. With the plate still firmly pressed against the ramekin, shake up and down until you hear the sound of the flan releasing from the ramekin onto the plate. Slowly lift the ramekin. Spoon any remaining caramel from inside the ramekin over the flan.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 keto flan custard cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂