This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Deciding which fruits on keto to eat can get confusing — while berries like strawberries and blueberries are generally safe to enjoy, not all citrus fruits align with a low carb lifestyle. So, are mandarin oranges keto? Let’s look at nutrients and carbs in mandarin oranges (aka clementines or “cuties”) to see whether they fit in your daily diet on keto.
Are Mandarin Oranges Keto Friendly?
Sorry, mandarin oranges are not keto friendly. Mandarin orange segments have too many grams of carbs per serving to easily fit into a ketogenic diet. (Much like oranges.)
If the answer to “are clementines keto friendly?” is no, are they at least low carb? Maybe, but they would have to fit in your personal macros.
Get Carb Counts & Track Macros With The Easy Keto App
Track this food and thousands of others (plus recipes!) in the app.
How Many Carbs In Mandarin Oranges?
If carbohydrates in this fruit are so high, just how many carbs in a mandarin orange? A single medium fruit contains 11.7 grams total carbs [*].
How many net carbs in a mandarin orange? Since it contains dietary fiber, net carbs in mandarin orange add up to 10.1 grams for the same serving size.
|Serving Size||Total Carbs||Net Carbs|
Nutrition Information & Health Benefits
If carbs in cuties mandarin oranges align with your low carb macros, they work as a great healthy snack. Here are the key nutrition facts for a medium mandarin orange:
- 75 calories
- 0.7 grams of protein
- 11.7 grams total carbohydrates
- 1.6 grams of fiber
- 10.6 milligrams of magnesium (2.5% of your daily value, or DV)
- 146 mg of potassium (3% of the DV)
- 23.5 mg of vitamin C (26% of the DV)
Mandarin Orange Substitutes
You may not be able to enjoy the tangy bite of clementines on keto, but not to worry! You can still capture their flavor with these lower carb swaps.
- Orange zest – It’s the best way to capture the flavor of mandarins without the carbs. Try it in keto orange chicken or orange sherbet!
- Dried orange peel – This is similar to orange zest, but more shelf stable (and you don’t have to deal with leftover fruit).
- Keto fruits – In some cases, you can substitute other low carb fruits from the citrus family.
- Orange extract – Adds the flavor or clementines to recipes without the carbs.
- Citric acid – For recipes that need an acidic flavor, citric acid is a useful orange keto substitute.
- Vinegar – Perfect for adding sour flavor to dishes.
Conclusion: Can You Eat Mandarin Oranges On The Keto Diet?
Carbs in mandarin oranges are too high to be keto, but they may work for a low carb diet. Try keto friendly mandarin orange substitutes such as orange extract or zest to cut carbs even more.
Carbs In Mandarin Oranges: Are Mandarins Keto?:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes: