FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
It’s hard to think about cozy cooking without the warm and roasty flavors of butternut squash. But if you’re on a low carb diet, you may know that while many vegetables are keto, others are off -limits. We’ve already gone over how fall favorites like pumpkin fit into a low carb lifestyle, but… is butternut squash keto, too? Let’s go over carbs in butternut squash and if (or how) you can have butternut squash on keto.
Is Butternut Squash Keto Friendly?
Unlike foods such as garlic or rice, the answer to “can you eat butternut squash on keto” is not a clear yes or no. The simplest explanation is that butternut squash can be keto friendly in moderation.
Due to the number of net carbs in butternut squash, you can still incorporate it into your diet if you limit serving sizes.
If butternut squash isn’t the most keto friendly veggie choice, is butternut squash low carb? Yes! You can more easily enjoy butternut squash on a low carb diet.
How Many Carbs In Butternut Squash?
Does butternut squash have carbs? Yes… and it’s one of the starchier keto vegetables you can eat. How many carbs does butternut squash have?
One cup of cooked butternut squash cubes contains 21.5 grams of total carbs.[*] Due to its fiber content, it contains 15 grams of net carbs.
Carbs In Butternut Squash Soup
What about the butternut squash carb count when it’s pureed into a soup? Sadly, it’s higher.
A cup of store-bought butternut squash soup can contain added sugar, flour, or other starchy veggies like carrots that bump up the net carb count. A cup of soup like this can cost you up to 20 grams of net carbs.[*]
If you make your own butternut squash soup, though, you can make it much more keto friendly. It does come out thinner than the traditional kind, but if you want a thicker soup, try adding some cauliflower – you won’t taste it after pureeing into the soup.
Keto Butternut Squash Substitutes
You can get close to the flavor and texture of butternut squash with these keto friendly swaps:
- Pumpkin – It has fewer carbs per cup than butternut, so you can substitute it in part (or completely) in recipes.
- Spaghetti squash – These are in the same family as butternut, but with lower carbs. Use it in recipes where squash provides a bulky base.
- Blend with other keto veggies – If you incorporate keto veggies like cauliflower, you can still capture big flavor while cutting down on carbs in butternut squash.
Keto Butternut Squash Recipes
The best way to enjoy butternut squash on keto? Make these simple dishes!
Keto Butternut Squash Soup
So rich and creamy, without the skyrocketing carb count.
Keto “Sweet Potato” Casserole
No sweet potatoes here! A blend of squash and cauliflower form the base for this keto butternut squash dish.
Conclusion: Can You Eat Butternut Squash On Keto?
Is butternut squash keto after all? Yes, but you’ll need to enjoy it in smaller portions. Carbs in butternut squash can add up fast, so blend it with other keto-friendly foods to reduce net carb counts.
- Check your email for a confirmation link. Add [email protected] to your email contacts so that you don't miss it.
- After you confirm, you'll receive a link to the Members Area where you can download the printable!
- If you use gmail, drag the welcome email to your Priority Inbox so you won't miss future freebies.