FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This keto lava cake recipe is a combination of so many of my favorite things. It’s a mug cake. It’s a low carb lava cake for 2. It’s filled with sugar-free nutella… it’s the best keto molten lava cake I’ve ever made.
I almost feel silly calling this nutella mug cake recipe “breakfast”. It’s so unbelievably rich and chocolate-y and delicious. Way too decadent for breakfast, right? It sure tastes that way!
But even though this keto friendly molten lava mug cake recipe is parading around as a dessert, I happen to think it makes an healthy keto breakfast – with 8g protein, 6g fiber and less than 1g sugar.
Can you just picture it with a tall glass of almond milk, or even a cup of keto coffee? If you’ve got a long day ahead and want to start it out with something to look forward to, this chocolate-y, gooey lava mug cake is just what you need.
This keto lava cake recipe recipe was originally published on December 24, 2016, and was republished in July 2020 to add better pictures, an improved process, and useful tips. Here is one of the original photos:
How To Make Keto Lava Cake
Some keto desserts are best to serve a crowd (keto chocolate cake anyone?), but this simple keto lava cake with almond flour is perfect for those times that you just need a little something sweet and chocolate-y, without making a whole giant dessert to tempt you.
Here’s how to make keto lava cake – the quick and easy way:
- Make chocolate spread. In a small pinch bowl or ramekin, stir together sugar-free chocolate hazelnut spread and chocolate chips. Freeze until firm, but not rock hard.
- Mix wet ingredients. Place butter into a small bowl and microwave until melted. Add cocoa powder, egg, and hazelnut extract. Stir well, until no lumps remain.
- Mix in dry ingredients. Add blanched almond flour, Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir very well, scraping the bottom, until smooth.
- Portion low carb chocolate lava cakes. Divide the batter among the ramekins. Take the chocolate spread out of the freezer and form into 2 balls. Push each ball into the center of the batter. Pour 1/2 tablespoon water over the top of each. This helps keep them moist!
- Heat. For best results, bake your lava cakes in the oven (this reduces the chance of hot spots or overheating), but you can microwave if you really want to.
TIP: Keto lava cake is done when it’s NOT quite set, but instead a little wet and sticky on top, and still has runny chocolate in the center. Be careful not to over heat, or your lava center will disappear!
- Enjoy! I recommend topping with sugar-free whipped cream, chopped hazelnuts, and maybe a strawberry.
Keto Molten Lava Cake FAQs
Why isn’t the center of my lava cake runny or gooey?
This means that your sugar-free lava cake was overcooked. This is very easy to do in the microwave, but can happen in the oven as well.
Next time, you’ll need to reduce the cook time and if you use the microwave, try a lower power as well and check on it frequently.
Reminder: Keto lava cake is done when it’s NOT quite set, but instead a little wet and sticky on top, with a gooey center.
What is better to use, the oven or the microwave?
I don’t usually have a strong preference for my keto mug cake recipes, but for this one, I highly recommend the oven. It results in a much better lava center.
It’s very easy to overheat the cake in the microwave, so start with very small intervals if you try the microwave.
Can you make keto lava cake in a cup?
I did this in my original recipe, but I don’t recommend it unless you have very small (6-ounce) cups. It’s much easier to overheat and lose the molten center if you place the whole recipe into one container (such as a regular sized mug) instead of two ramekins.
You can get the ramekins I used here.
You could try splitting the same low carb lava cake recipe into two mugs instead of two ramekins – I have not tested this.
Where do you get sugar-free chocolate hazelnut spread?
Can you make it a classic flavor without hazelnut?
Yes. Omit the chocolate hazelnut spread and hazelnut extract, and double the amount of chocolate chips. The time needed might change.
How many carbs in keto lava cake?
There are just 4.6 grams net carbs in this keto friendly chocolate lava cake.
Can you use a different sweetener?
If you want to substitute, you’ll need:
- Granulated sweetener for the cake – like crystallized allulose, crystallized monk fruit, or granulated erythritol.
- Powdered sweetener for the lava filling – like powdered allulose, powdered monk fruit, or powdered erythritol.
The amounts are different depending on what you use, so check my keto sweetener guide for a conversion calculator.
Can you use coconut flour?
No, sorry. This recipe is written for almond flour – be sure you get super fine blanched almond flour like this, for the right consistency.
Keto Lava Cake Recipe Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can make this keto chocolate lava mug cake recipe ahead. However, don’t cook it until right before serving.
There are a few steps you can do ahead:
- Make the hazelnut spread and chocolate chip mixture. If you are doing it well in advance (more than 10-20 minutes before serving, store it in the refrigerator.
- Mix together or portion out the dry ingredients. This can save just a bit of time.
When you are ready to make the cake, just stir in the wet ingredients, add the chocolate hazelnut center, top with water, and heat.
TIP: You do NOT want to add the wet ingredients ahead of time, because the baking powder will react right away and lose effectiveness.
Start to finish, these take just a few minutes, so even if you don’t prep things ahead, they’re ready-to-go in a few minutes.
REMINDER: The only part you really need to do ahead is chilling the chocolate hazelnut center. That takes 10-20 minutes in the freezer, or as long as you like in the fridge, at least an hour.
How to store keto molten lava mug cake
Heat this keto friendly lava cake right before serving for best results. The molten lava center will disappear if you reheat it, so that is not recommended.
Can you freeze keto chocolate lava cake?
No, sorry. You can freeze the gooey center mixtures if you like, but the cakes are best made fresh. Keto molten lava cakes won’t have a lava center if you reheat them, and if you freeze before cooking, it’s likely that the center will still disappear before the cake part is cooked.
More Keto Mug Cake Recipes
If you like this keto molten lava cake, you might also like some of these other keto mug cake recipes:
- Keto Vanilla Mug Cake – It seems simple, but there’s a secret ingredient that takes this over the top.
- Keto Chocolate Mug Cake – The most popular mug cake on Wholesome Yum! Super rich and moist.
- Keto 90-Second Bread – Okay, not actually a cake, but it’s a quick microwave recipe you can make in a mug or glass container.
- Cinnamon Flax Seed Mug Muffin – It’s like a cinnamon roll in a mug, but with clean ingredients. You’re going to love it.
Tools To Make Low Carb Lava Cake
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Hazelnut Spread – If you don’t want to make your own, this one works great in this recipe.
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips – Use these for the filling!
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Sweetener – Use this for the best keto lava cake… extra moist and gooey.
- 6-Ounce Ramekins – The perfect size to make keto lava mug cakes.
Keto Lava Cake Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto Molten Lava Cake Recipe
This low carb keto lava cake recipe with almond flour tastes like a cross between nutella and a keto molten lava cake! So rich and decadent, it will satisfy every chocolate craving.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small pinch bowl or ramekin, stir together the chocolate hazelnut spread and chocolate chips. Freeze for 10-20 minutes, until firm, but not rock hard. (You could also refrigerate at least an hour ahead.)
Place the butter in a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 30-40 seconds.
Add the cocoa powder, egg, and hazelnut extract. Stir very well, until no lumps remain.
Add the almond flour, Besti, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir very well again, scraping the bottom, until smooth.
Divide the batter among 2 3.5-inch (6 ounce) ramekins.
Take the chocolate spread mixture out of the freezer. Divide in half and form two balls. Push each ball into the center of the batter. Pour 1/2 tablespoon (7.4g) of water over the top of each.
How to make keto lava cake in the oven (recommended):
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bake keto lava cakes for 8-12 minutes (together in the oven is fine), in the center of the oven, until the cakes are just barely set but still a little sticky on top and the center is still gooey. Start with less time and check frequently - if they don’t heat evenly or you overheat them, you won’t get the gooey molten lava center.
How to make keto lava cake in the microwave:
For best results, microwave the cakes one at a time for about 45 seconds, in the exact center of the microwave with a turntable, until the cake is just barely set but still a little sticky on top and the center is still gooey. They will take slightly longer if you heat them together, but then it’s best to rotate then halfway through. Start with less time and check frequently - if they don’t heat evenly or you overheat them, you won’t get the gooey molten lava center.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 keto lava cake
Video Showing How To Make Molten Lava Cake:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Molten Lava Cake!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂