This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Make this green detox smoothie your go-to recipe for recovering after parties, heavy meals, workouts, the holidays, or anytime you need a snack that recharges! This smoothie has similar benefits to my spinach smoothie and chicken detox soup: It hydrates, aids in digestion, is vitamin-rich, and like my other healthy drinks, just tastes good. Since it only takes minutes to prep, you can enjoy a quick reset anytime.
What Is A Detox Smoothie?
Detox smoothie recipes blend together raw leafy greens, fruits, veggies, and often nuts or seeds. They’re quick and easy to make, taste amazing, and make you feel great!
Why You’ll Love This Green Detox Smoothie Recipe
- Tropical flavors
- Thick and creamy
- 5 simple ingredients — and endless variations!
- 5 minutes of prep time
- Super-charged with nutrients and antioxidants
- No added sugar or sweeteners needed
- Naturally vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan, whole30, and paleo
Detox Smoothie Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for a detoxing green smoothie, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Fresh Spinach – Use mature or baby spinach for the best detox smoothie recipes, just make sure it’s clean and free from wilted leaves. No need to chop it!
- Avocado – Makes the smoothie creamy and adds a dose of healthy fat.
- Frozen Pineapple Chunks – Adds natural sweetness, vitamin C, and tangy flavor. You can use fresh pineapple instead if you like, or substitute fresh strawberries for a low carb version.
- Coconut Water – Contains electrolytes to help hydrate. Make sure to get one with no added sugar.
- Fresh Ginger – Adds tropical flavor and aids digestion. Fresh mint would make an excellent substitute (or addition).
- Chia Seeds – Optional, but act as a natural thickener. You can also use flax seeds.
How To Make Detox Smoothies
This section shows how to make a detox smoothie recipe, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize how to make them. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Layer. Add spinach, avocado, pineapple chunks, coconut water, ginger, and chia seeds (if using) to a high-powered blender.
- Blend. Blitz until smooth.
VARIATION: Freeze into popsicles!
Instead of serving in a glass, pour the smoothie for detox into a popsicle mold and freeze for a healthy treat.
- Change the vegetables – Try other greens like kale, Swiss chard, or collard greens instead of spinach. You can also add neutral veggies like cucumbers.
- Swap the fruit – You can substitute pineapple with frozen mango, fresh green apples, or any type of frozen berries.
- Try other creamy elements – Instead of avocado, use banana or Greek yogurt to keep this smoothie creamy.
- Trade the coconut water – You can easily substitute orange juice or your favorite plant based milk instead. I love it with coconut milk, hemp milk, and homemade unsweetened almond milk!
- Add a squeeze of citrus – Include lemon juice or lime juice before blending for a burst of bright flavor (especially if using a less tangy fruit).
- Include protein – Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder before blending.
- Add spices – Turmeric, cinnamon, or cayenne pepper make great additions to detox smoothies due to their health benefits. You can also use ground ginger in place of fresh.
- Store: Keep your leftover green detox smoothie in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. Shake, blend, or stir before serving.
- Freeze: Transfer any leftovers into a freezer-safe container, freezer bag, or ice cube tray. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter for 15-20 minutes, then blend and serve.
More Detox Smoothie Recipes
Try these healthy drinks for hydration and refreshment using real food ingredients:
Green Detox Smoothie
Detox Smoothie (5 Ingredients!)
This 5-minute green detox smoothie packs whole food ingredients like spinach, pineapple, and avocado. The perfect fast, healthy reset!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place all the ingredients in a blender.
Blend until smooth.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts do not include optional chia seeds.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂