This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This homemade keto beef jerky recipe makes a healthy and delicious snack that can be made ahead of time and taken on-the-go (no dehydrator needed!). With a blend of sweet and savory seasonings, this is the best beef jerky I’ve ever had — much better than the packaged stuff!
Is Beef Jerky Keto?
Traditional beef jerky is not ideal for a clean keto diet, as it is sweetened with sugar (typically brown sugar), but there are some brands without sugar added. Always read ingredient lists to check for added sugars. That being said, some people may be okay eating the versions with sugar if following dirty keto and their macros allow it.
Instead, we’re using Besti keto brown sugar for a keto jerky that still has the sweet traditional flavor. Unlike other brown sugar replacements, Besti Brown has the same taste and moisture that regular brown sugar does, all with zero net carbs and no aftertaste. It’s perfect for making sugar-free beef jerky, and also for many keto baking recipes.
Is Beef Jerky Healthy?
Yes, beef jerky is a great snack that is loaded with protein. Many store-bought versions are made with sugar, MSG, nitrates, and artificial preservatives, which is why I came up with this healthy alternative.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Beef Jerky Recipe
- Sweet and savory flavor
- Chewy, classic jerky texture
- Made with simple ingredients
- Only 5 minutes prep time + mostly hands-off cooking time
- Just 2.9 grams net carbs per serving
- Makes a healthy, protein-rich snack that’s naturally low carb and gluten-free
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this homemade beef jerky recipe, what each one does, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Steak – The best cuts of beef for jerky are fairly lean, economical, and flavorful. I used flank steak, but top round, bottom round, pectoral, or skirt steak are all great options. I get my grass-fed beef delivered to my door here.
- Coconut Aminos – This gives the low carb beef jerky a salty, savory flavor. If you don’t mind soy (this is why I don’t use soy sauce), you could also use soy sauce here.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Also for flavor. It does have a very small amount of sugar but it’s negligible in the whole recipe because we’re only using 1/2 a tablespoon. Omit if you want to.
- Spices – Garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes
- Besti Brown Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – This keto-friendly jerky gets its sweet flavor from this keto brown sweetener. 0g net carbs, and no cooling effect or aftertaste! Plus, Besti Brown helps keep it moist, not dry and brittle.
VARIATION: Add liquid smoke for a smoky flavor!
Simply add 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke like this to the marinade.
How To Make Beef Jerky
This section shows how to make homemade beef jerky with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Marinate. Place sliced beef in a large bowl. Add coconut aminos, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, black pepper, Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend, and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine and refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Bake. Place the beef strips in a single layer over a wire cooling rack over foil lined pan. Bake for 3-4 hours, until dry and firm, flipping half way through.
- Cool. Remove jerky from oven and let cool.
Tips For The Best Beef Jerky
- Use a lean cut. For homemade jerky, you want to use a lean cut of meat like flank steak, skirt steak, or top round. While fat adds flavor, it also won’t render out and no one wants a chunk of fat in their jerky.
- Freeze steak for 30 minutes before slicing. This will help you slice the beef as thinly as possible, which makes it dry out more quickly and also yields a better texture.
- Slice against the grain. Doing this breaks up the muscle fibers, making the beef more tender.
- Season properly. Be sure to give the steak enough time to marinate so that it really soaks in all of that flavor from the marinade. 30 minutes is the minimum, but overnight or up to 24 hours is even better.
- Store: Keep homemade beef jerky at room temperature in an air tight container in a cool, dark place, such as the pantry, for up to 1-2 months.
- Freeze: For longer storage, you can freeze jerky for up to 1 year. Thaw to room temperature before enjoying.
More Easy Keto Snack Recipes
If you like this peppered beef jerky recipe, you might also like some of these other keto snacks:
- Baking Sheet With Rack – Creates air flow around the beef so it dries out better. Plus, this pan never sticks!
Homemade Beef Jerky Recipe
Homemade Keto Beef Jerky Recipe
This homemade keto beef jerky recipe makes a sweet, savory, and healthy snack that's perfect to take on the go. Just 5 minutes prep!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the sliced beef in a large mixing bowl. Add the coconut aminos, Worcestershire sauce (if using), all the spices, and the Besti Brown to the bowl. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight, up to 24 hours.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 175 F (79 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with foil and place an oven-safe non-stick cooling rack on top (I love this set which includes both).
Arranged the beef strips in a single layer on the wire rack.
Bake keto beef jerky for 3-4 hours, until it's dry and firm but still pliable, flipping the beef halfway through.
Cool completely. Store in an air tight container.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 ounce
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂