This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Skip Chinese takeout — this chicken broccoli stir fry comes together faster than delivery! With chicken breast, fresh broccoli, and a slightly sweet, flavorful sauce, it’s a quick and easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love. Like many of my healthy Asian recipes, you can have this chicken stir fry with broccoli on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- Slightly sweet, flavorful sauce made with pantry staples
- Tender meat and veggies
- Easy to make
- Simple, common ingredients
- Ready in just 20 minutes
- Naturally healthy dinner
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for easy chicken stir fry with broccoli, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Stir Fry Sauce:
- Oyster Sauce – A small amount delivers big umami flavor. Almost every variety has added sugar and many are not gluten free, so if you’re looking for a cleaner option, my sugar-free teriyaki sauce would make a fine substitute.
- Coconut Aminos – My favorite gluten-free soy sauce substitute. If you prefer, you can use tamari or low sodium soy sauce instead.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – For enhancing the savory flavors.
- Sesame Oil – Adds a slightly nutty flavor. You can use regular or toasted. In a pinch, you can substitute another neutral cooking oil.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – These are totally optional, but delicious if you want a little heat to your chicken broccoli stir fry.
- Cornstarch – If you like a thicker sauce, just a small amount of cornstarch (the entire recipe uses less than a tablespoon cornstarch!) helps to thicken it. You could also use 1/8 tsp xanthan gum or another cornstarch substitute for a low carb option.
- Olive Oil – You can also use another neutral cooking oil, such as avocado oil.
- Chicken Breasts – Use boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs, or swap the chicken with beef (try beef and broccoli stir fry), pork, or shrimp.
- Broccoli – Break into florets. You can also use other stir fry vegetables, such as snap peas, baby corn, celery, carrots, bamboo shoots, or onions for more texture and flavor.
- Garlic – I minced a fresh garlic clove for the best flavor, but you could use jarred minced garlic as well. Feel free to use several cloves garlic if you love it.
- Ginger – Although fresh ginger tastes best, you can also substitute 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Mushrooms – White mushrooms work well here, but you can use other varieties too.
- Bell Pepper – Red bell pepper adds a nice flavor and color to this dish, but you could use whatever color if you prefer.
- Optional Garnishes – Including crushed red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, and lemon wedges. You could also add nuts such as chopped almonds, cashews, or peanuts for a nice crunch.
How To Make Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
This section shows how to make broccoli chicken stir fry, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Make sauce. In a small to medium bowl, mix oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, black pepper, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Whisk in cornstarch or xanthan gum, if using.
- Cook chicken. Heat olive oil into a large wok (or large nonstick skillet with a heavy bottom) over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Saute veggies. Add more olive oil into the wok. Add bell pepper and broccoli. Cook until crisp tender.
- Add mushrooms. Place sliced mushrooms in the pan and cook until all veggies are fully tender.
- Add garlic. Stir in the minced garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Combine. Return chicken to the pan. Pour sauce over the healthy chicken and broccoli stir fry. Cook until the sauce thickens to your liking.
TIP: Adjust the sauce as needed.
Taste and adjust with salt. For a thinner sauce, thin out with water or make it without cornstarch.
- Garnish. If desired, garnish with sesame seeds, extra chili flakes, and lemon wedges.
- Store: Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Meal prep: You can prepare the entire stir fry ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze. Alternatively, for a more fresh result, prep sauce and chop vegetables, and store both separately until ready to cook.
- Reheat: Warm Chinese chicken broccoli stir fry in a skillet or wok with a drizzle of oil.
- Freeze: Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
What To Serve With Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
More Healthy Stir Fry Recipes
There are so many fresh and flavorful ways to cook Asian stir fry meals! Try some of these favorites next:
- Wok – The shape of a wok works well for cooking stir fry dishes fast. You can also use a large skillet, but make sure it has a heavy bottom so that it retains heat well.
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry (20 Minutes!)
Chicken broccoli stir fry is a fast, easy weeknight dinner! With juicy chicken, tender broccoli, and rich sauce, it's ready in 20 minutes.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a small bowl, mix together the oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, ground black pepper, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper flakes. If you’d like to thicken the sauce, whisk in the cornstarch (or xanthan gum). Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes, flipping once, until golden and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add another tablespoon of olive oil into the wok. Add the red bell pepper and broccoli florets, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 2-4 minutes, until all the veggies are tender.
Stir in the minced garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
Return the chicken to the pan. Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli stir fry. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce thickens to your liking. Taste and adjust with salt if needed. For the thinner sauce, add ¼ cup more water.
If desired, garnish with sesame seeds, extra chili flakes, and lemon wedges.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts do not include optional garnishes or cornstarch.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂