FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I’m so excited about this keto egg drop soup recipe! I’ll show you exactly how to make egg drop soup in less than 10 minutes – it doesn’t get any easier. One of the (many) benefits of cooking and preparing your own meals is that you know exactly what is going into your meals. When you get food at restaurants? Who knows? My homemade egg drop soup is incredibly flavorful and has all of the traditional flavors, without any extra thickeners or questionable ingredients.
Serve this easy egg drop soup as a starter or side to a main dish, it’s delicious and slurp-able!
Not only is it low carb and keto, but it’s also gluten-free, grain free, paleo, AND still full of delicious flavor. It’s the perfect example of why I started Wholesome Yum in the first place. And that’s the idea that you can still enjoy your favorite foods, but in a healthier way.
How To Make Egg Drop Soup
This easy low carb egg drop soup recipe comes together so quickly and can be made as a last-minute mini meal or as a dinner side. You probably already have many of the ingredients, too.
I’ll walk you through how to make egg drop soup:
- Make the egg drop soup broth. In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, coconut aminos, mushrooms, onions, ginger, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add eggs to this low carb egg drop soup. Whisk together the eggs in a small bowl. Slowly pour the egg into the spoon while stirring, to create ribbons of eggs.
- Season. Add sea salt to taste. You may not need it, so sample it first, then add salt to taste.
Aren’t you impressed? This 5 minute keto egg drop soup is fast enough to make for an easy lunch or dinner side!
How Many Carbs In Egg Drop Soup?
If you’re wondering about egg drop soup carbs, I’ve got an answer that I think you’ll like! Each cup has just 4 grams net carbs.
Is Egg Drop Soup Keto Friendly?
Is egg drop soup keto approved? Yes, this egg drop soup recipe without cornstarch is definitely keto friendly! With just 4 grams net carbs per serving, it’s a great side or starter dish.
Can You Thicken Keto Egg Drop Soup?
Since this is a keto egg drop soup recipe, it doesn’t have the cornstarch that traditional versions have to thicken. I think the broth is flavorful and delicious, and doesn’t need to be thick.
But if you like yours thicker, you can thicken your soup with a sprinkle of xanthan gum (1/4 teaspoon at a time) or even unflavored gelatin powder.
Can You Make Easy Egg Drop Soup Ahead?
Yes, you can make this recipe for homemade egg drop soup ahead! I don’t recommend adding the eggs in until right before serving, but you can make the quick and easy egg drop soup broth ahead of time.
Store it in the refrigerator, and when you’re ready to eat, simply re-heat the broth in a saucepan and then stir in the whisked eggs and serve.
Can You Reheat Egg Drop Soup?
You can reheat egg drop soup, but the texture won’t be as good as it is when fresh. If possible, wait to add the egg until right before eating.
Can You Freeze Homemade Egg Drop Soup?
I would not recommend freezing Chineses egg drop soup recipe, as the mushrooms and eggs can get watery and the texture can become undesirable. The good news is that it takes just 7 minutes total to make, so it’s pretty easy to make whenever the egg drop soup keto craving strikes!
What To Serve With Egg Drop Soup
This keto egg drop soup recipe is a great side or starter. Here are some great keto dinner recipes to go along with it:
- Sesame Kelp Noodles – After your easy egg drop soup course, finish off your meal with these noodles. Yes, they are keto approved and full of delicious sesame flavor.
- Asian Turkey Meatballs – Add these meatballs alongside homemade egg drop soup and sauteed broccoli for a great small-plates (or bowls!) meal eaten with chopsticks and spoons!
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef – You can pair this simple egg drop soup recipe with another easy, hands-off recipe. Serve the beef over cauliflower rice or sauteed broccoli.
- Egg Roll In A Bowl – This recipe took the internet by storm and for good reason. IT’S SO GOOD! It takes all the goodness from egg rolls and repackages it into a low carb bowl.
- Korean Ground Beef Bowl – So easy to make that you can fix it while you’re sipping on your homemade egg drop soup.
What do YOU eat with egg drop soup? Let me know in the comments if you have other ideas.
Tools To Make Egg Drop Soup:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Stainless Steel Pots and Pans Set – This set is an investment, but when taken care of properly, you’ll never need to buy another set again.
- Asian Soup Spoons – Not 100% necessary, but they actually come in really handy for this homemade egg drop soup!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Easy Keto Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Learn how to make egg drop soup with just 6 ingredients! This easy homemade keto egg drop soup recipe takes only 7 minutes from start to slurp. So comforting and flavorful!
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, coconut aminos, mushrooms, onions, ginger, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
Whisk the eggs in a small cup. Slowly pour the egg into the soup while stirring to create ribbons of egg. Add sea salt to taste, if needed.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Egg Drop Soup:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Egg Drop Soup!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂