This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
You don’t have to skip pasta night with these low carb pasta alternatives! I’ve gathered everything you need to know about low carb noodles. Is there a low carb pasta? Look no further, I’m answering this question and so many more in this complete guide to low carb pasta recipes and products. Read on for keto pasta and low carb noodles recommendations; low carb pasta recipes; best low carb pasta sauces; and my favorite tips and tricks when it comes to low carb pasta alternatives.
There are so many ways to enjoy pasta night, grab your forks and Parmesan!
Can You Eat Pasta On The Keto Diet?
Yes, you can eat pasta on the keto diet. But it has to be the right kind of pasta.
Traditional pasta made from wheat flour is not keto friendly, but there are so many keto pasta alternatives out there. (Get the full background on the keto diet here and the full low carb food list here.)
There’s no reason to give up pasta all together, just make sure you’re choosing a keto pasta recipe.
Is There A Low Carb Pasta?
Pasta is not low carb, but there are plenty of low carb pasta alternatives! Thankfully, there’s no need to give up your favorite pasta meals, just use low carb pasta noodles in your favorite recipes.
How To Make Low Carb Pasta Recipes
So, how do you make low carb pasta? You can re-create most of your favorite pasta dishes to be keto friendly, you just have to use low carb noodles.
Just follow these easy steps for how to make keto pasta:
- Decide on what low carb pasta substitute you’re going to use. Will you make a homemade low carb pasta? Or choose a store-bought option? (See my list of keto pasta alternatives below!)
- Prepare your keto pasta noodles. Read on for instructions on how to make low carb pasta. Some are made out of vegetables, and others are made from a low carb pasta dough.
- Add flavor to your low carb pasta recipe with your favorite keto pasta sauce. I’m sharing ideas for my favorite sauces below.
- Serve your low carb pasta with garnishes if appropriate and get your forks ready for pasta twirling!
What Can You Use For a Low Carb Pasta Substitute?
With a few exceptions, most low carb pasta substitutes are made from vegetables. Of course these are not identical to traditional wheat pasta, but they can still be delicious – and offer up so much more nutrition for you.
Read on for more detail about each low carb pasta substitute, plus keto pasta recipes using each.
How To Make Keto Noodles
There are 4 main methods for making keto noodles. Choose your preferred method:
- Spiralize vegetables. A spiralizer is the easiest way to cut just about any vegetable into a low carb pasta substitute. Simply follow the instructions for your spiralizer to twist your favorite vegetables into homemade keto pasta!
- Use a mandoline to cut vegetables into sheets for rolls, lasagnas, or casseroles. This technique works well if you don’t have a spiralizer or if you want wide low carb noodles for layering. Peel your vegetables if necessary, but vegetables like zucchini don’t need to be peeled.
- Buy low carb pasta alternatives. These can be vegetables that come in noodle shape, like spaghetti squash, or low carb pasta alternatives like shirataki or kelp noodles, etc.
- Make low carb noodles by making a dough or batter with low carb ingredients like almond or coconut flour. It’s tough to get the same texture as wheat pasta, but you can still get pasta that you can twirl and enjoy with sauce.
Tools To Make Keto Pasta Alternatives
If you’re making veggie noodles, you’ll need at least one of these tools:
- Tabletop Spiralizer – This handy gadget makes the best low carb pasta recipes! If you plan on making lots of spiralized veggies, you’ll want the tabletop version.
- Hand Held Spiralizer – This spiralizer is much smaller in size, but still works well and is perfect if you are cooking for one or two or if you have no kitchen storage for the tabletop version.
- Mandoline Slicer – The quickest way to slice up vegetable in thin, even sheets. Perfect for making low carb noodles for lasagna.
The Best Low Carb Pasta Alternatives
Are you ready to dive into all things low carb noodles and keto pasta? We’re going to cover 13 of my favorite low carb pasta alternatives below… including how to use them, special tips, and recipes to try.
1) Zucchini Noodles
The first step of making zucchini noodles is to spiralize your zucchini. I prefer using thinner zucchini instead of the giant ones, because they are less watery and hold up a little better. You can pan fry or bake (my favorite way) your zucchini noodles and then serve them with your favorite sauce.
Want each and every detail about zucchini noodles? Check out the best guide to making zoodles – it has everything you need to know!
Here are a few keto pasta recipes with zucchini noodles:
- Zucchini Alfredo – The ultimate in comfort food, but in a light and healthy low carb version.
- Cajun Shrimp Zucchini Pasta – Loaded with fresh veggies, shrimp, and classic Cajun flavors!
- Zucchini Spaghetti & Meatballs – The best way to enjoy spaghetti and meatballs – in a low carb way.
- Cheesy Zucchini Roll-Ups – A different way to use zucchini, these are sliced into lasagna-style noodles.
- Pesto Zucchini Lasagna – Filling layers of zucchini noodles, ground beef, pesto, and 3 cheeses!
- Zucchini Noodle Salad – Low carb noodles don’t always have to be served hot! This light salad features flavorful bacon and tomatoes.
2) Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash may be one of first low carb pasta alternatives! It’s naturally stringy flesh is similar to spaghetti, and it’s a filling and nutritious option for low carb noodles.
I prefer to roast spaghetti squash at high heat for the best results (and fastest cooking time) but I outline all cooking methods and tips in my how to bake spaghetti squash in the oven post.
It takes on flavors effortlessly, so there are so many different ways to enjoy spaghetti squash.
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara – Creamy and full of bacon flavor, what could be better?
- Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai – Missing your favorite Thai dish? Look no further, this one is packed with flavor.
- Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Boats – So many flavors going on with this spaghetti squash, it’s SO good! Bacon, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes…
- Coconut Basil Shrimp Spaghetti Squash – Dairy-free, but creamy with punchy lime and basil flavors. Tastes like takeout!
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Chow Mein – Way healthier than the traditional version and easy, too.
- Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup – Meet your new chicken noodle soup.
3) Shirataki Noodles
Shirataki noodles (sometimes called Miracle Noodles!) have been used as low carb pasta alternatives for years! These Japanese-style noodles have a texture similar to tofu and are smooth and slightly gelatinous. They are made from the fiber from konjac yam and water, so they are almost zero calories and zero carbs. They have 1 gram of net carbs per 3.5 oz of noodles.
Shirataki noodles do need to be rinsed thoroughly, and don’t be alarmed by the odor from the liquid they are stored in, it’s normal! Rinse and let them dry off a bit before you use them.
- Shirataki Ramen Noodles – This bowl of noodle soup is full of vegetables and looks beautiful!
- Shirataki Noodles Carbonara – You know how I feel about carbonara…bacon! Cream! Peas!
- Lemon Chicken Shirataki Noodle Soup – When the sniffles start, make this soup!
4) Cucumber Noodles
Cucumber noodles may not be quite as popular as zucchini noodles, but they should be! They are fresh and light, and don’t require any cooking.
After you spiralize your cucumber noodles, place them into a colander over the sink and sprinkle them with salt. Toss to coat and let the salt draw out some of the excess water before you serve them with a sauce. This will ensure the sauce sticks to the noodles.
Their flavor works perfectly in Asian-style dishes. Try some of the recipes below!
- Cucumber Noodles With Tahini Sauce – Light and creamy, this vegan and dairy-free dish is also low carb!ia
- Korean Bibimbap – This recipe stays low carb thanks to julienned cucumbers and cauliflower rice.
- Thai Peanut Cucumber Noodles – Easy enough for weeknights, but flavorful enough for entertaining. Cucumbers and peanut sauce are a natural fit!
5) Kelp Noodles
Kelp noodles are another variety of packaged low carb noodles that are made from brown kelp (aka brown seaweed). Like the shirataki noodles, they are almost calorie and carb-free.
Rinse your kelp noodles before using, cut them with kitchen shears, and add them to stir-fries or your favorite sauce in the last 5 minutes of cooking. They can also be eaten raw.
Here are some ways to eat kelp noodles:
- Sesame Kelp Noodles Stir Fry – This easy stir fry is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Japanese Kani Salad – A creamy, asian crab and noodle salad.
- Kelp Noodle Paleo Pad Thai – Skip the coconut sugar for the low carb version.
6) Eggplant Noodles
Eggplant noodles don’t work quite as well as a spaghetti replacement, because they can get a bit mushy. But, they are great sliced and used in low carb lasagna recipes!
Use a mandoline slicer to for best results – otherwise they’re sure to be un-even which can be problematic when you cook them. Here are some of my favorite ways to use eggplant as a low carb pasta alternative:
- Eggplant Pasta Primavera – While it’s definitely more common to use eggplant as noodle sheets, eggplant pasta noodles is possible!
- Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna – Classic lasagna flavors with eggplant as the noodle!
- Stuffed Eggplant Rolls – These eggplant rolls are like your favorite pasta rolls, but healthier.
7) Kohlrabi Noodles
Kohlrabi is a type of turnip and in the same species as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. It’s incredibly nutritious and holds up well when used in low carb pasta salad recipes.
To prepare, simply peel off the outermost layer of the bulb and then slice into whatever shape you like. It can be eaten raw, or cooked depending on the recipe.
Here are a few kohlrabi noodle recipes:
- Kohlrabi Salad With Italian Dressing – Slice into noodle shapes for this twist on a low carb pasta salad.
- Kohlrabi Parmesan Noodles – This veggie-packed salad is full of flavor!
- Spicy Kohlrabi Noodles – Swap out the rice noodles for kelp or shirataki noodles.
8) Celeriac Noodles
Celeriac noodles are made from celeriac, which is a root vegetable that’s similar to celery, parsley and parsnips. It’s very crunchy and tastes a little like celery. Try it for some veggie-based low carb pasta alternatives!
- Celeriac Grilled Chicken Alfredo – Just try to resist this sauce!
- Celeriac Pasta With Artichoke Hearts & Eggs – Try out this pasta that is sautéed with ghee and artichoke hearts.
- Celeriac Spaghetti With Shrimp & Asparagus – The celeriac noodles hold up so well in this veggie and shrimp stir fry.
9) Cabbage Noodles
Cabbage is not exactly noodles, but you can cut it into long strips and twirl it around your fork as a low carb noodles alternative. And if you caramelize it on the stovetop first, it’s seriously delicious!
Since cabbage is versatile in terms of its shape and flexibility, it works in a variety of keto pasta dishes – from lasagnas that need large layers to stir fries that need small pieces, and anything in between.
Here are some ways to use cabbage as low carb noodles:
- Buttery Cabbage Noodles – Filling and oh-so tasty. You’ll be so surprised by how good these noodles are!
- Keto Cabbage Goulash – Rich and hearty.
- Egg Roll In A Bowl – The fastest keto dinner – and utterly addicting!
Cauliflower doesn’t exactly resemble pasta in shape or appearance, but it still makes a great keto pasta substitute. That’s because it has a neutral flavor, and pairs well with most low carb pasta sauces or in casseroles where pasta is usually used.
Here are some of my favorite meals that would usually use pasta, using cauliflower instead:
- Cauliflower Mac & Cheese – Satisfy your mac & cheese craving in a low carb way! Just 5 ingredients!
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – A whole meal in one dish. Satisfying and delicious!
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole – Skip the crust and turn your pizza into a casserole.
11) Keto Noodles With Low Carb Doughs
Did you know that there are low carb pasta alternatives that go beyond spiralized vegetables or store-bought low carb noodles? It’s true! You can make your own keto pasta dough.
Low carb pasta dough is a bit tricky because it’s hard to get a wheat-free dough that’s flexible enough to twirl. It’s still possible, though, with these keto friendly pasta recipes:
- Keto Deep Dish Lasagna – Just like your favorite lasagna, this filling dish has all of the traditional layers you love.
- Keto Fiber Noodles – Similar to a fat-head dough, these fiber noodles can even be made green with the addition of spinach!
- Keto Cheese Noodles – These noodles are made from gelatin and have great Italian flavor.
Sometimes you can replace the pasta altogether with meat, such as in casseroles or even manicotti using deli meat.
Try these creative ideas for meat instead of noodles:
- Keto Lasagna With Meatza Layers – Layers of meat instead of pasta? I’m in!
- Keto Spinach Cheese Manicotti – This keto pasta recipe rolls up the fillings in deli meat!
- Chicken Crust Pizza – You can use this crust to make lasagna layers, too!
13) Store Bought Low Carb Pasta
- LC Foods Low Carb Fettuccine – This new product from LC Foods has just 3 grams net carbs and is loaded with protein and fiber. >> https://www.lowcarbfoods.com/new-products-and-super-savers/low-carb-fettuccine-pasta-noodles
- Palmini Linguine – This new product is made from hearts of palm and has just 4 grams carbs per serving.
- Wonder Noodles – 0 calories, and 0 grams net carbs!
- Dreamfields Rotini – This company says it has only 6g digestible carbs and won’t spike blood sugar. Your mileage may vary, so try it for yourself to see if it affects your blood sugar or ketosis.
Low Carb Pasta Sauce Options
Thankfully, there are so many sauce options for all of the low carb noodles you’ll soon be eating! You’ll enjoy everything from classic marinara sauce (but make sure you check your favorite brands to make sure they don’t add sugar!) to Alfredo sauce to basil pesto sauce.
Here are some of my favorite keto pasta sauces:
- Your favorite marinara sauce, or if you want a store-bought one, here’s a sugar-free and keto-friendly marinara sauce to try.
- Easy Basil Pesto Sauce – Packed with flavor and perfect for summer meals.
- Keto Alfredo Sauce – No one can resist this alfredo sauce. It’s great on any type of noodle.
- Brown Butter Sage Sauce – This warming sage sauce is perfect in the fall and on spaghetti squash.
- Classic Vodka Sauce – The best of marinara and alfredo!
- Mushroom & Bacon Sauce – Bacons and mushrooms are combined for a rich and flavorful sauce.
- Avocado Dressing – Try this healthy and green sauce on cucumber noodles.
- Chimichurri Sauce – Top some keto noodles with chimichurri sauce and thinly sliced steak.
- Lemon Butter Sauce – This quick sauce is bursting with bright lemon flavors.
More Low Carb Keto Pasta Recipes
I have more (exclusive!) low carb pasta alternatives and recipes in The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook! So, if you miss pasta on a low carb diet, check out the book for more ideas.
You’ll find easy keto pasta recipes including:
- Lazy Lasagna Chicken
- Sausage Zoodle Soup
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles
- Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
- Keto Ramen Soup
- Tuscan Chicken Casserole
The book includes 100 easy keto recipes, each with a color photo and 10 ingredients or less – and 80 of them are brand new recipes not available anywhere else!
How To Make Low Carb Pasta
The COMPLETE guide to the 13 BEST low carb pasta alternatives. Includes the best low carb pasta recipes, options for how to make keto pasta and low carb noodles, and so much more!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- Low carb noodles (such as zucchini, eggplant, spaghetti squash, keto dough noodles, and more - see above for ideas!)
RECIPE TIPS in the post above! VIDEO + nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Decide on what low carb pasta substitute you're going to use. Will you make a homemade low carb pasta? Or choose a store-bought option? (See my list of keto pasta alternatives above!)
Add flavor to your low carb pasta recipe with your favorite keto pasta sauce. (See the post above for recipe ideas for sauces.)
Serve your low carb pasta with garnishes if appropriate and get your forks ready for pasta twirling!
Note: Nutrition info is just a sample. It will vary depending on the noodles you use!
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Did you make this recipe?
Join the Easy Keto Challenge to enter monthly giveaways every time you share your pics of my recipes!