This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Whether you’re looking for a weight loss soup or just something to warm you up this winter, this easy low carb vegetable soup recipe will hit the spot! It’s naturally keto friendly, paleo, has a vegan option, and is just all-around healthy no matter your way of eating. If you want to know how to make vegetable soup that’s super simple, uses common ingredients, and takes less than 30 minutes, this one’s for you.
Homemade vegetable soup makes a regular appearance at our house in the winter. It’s warming, it’s filling, and it’s good for us. Plus, this one is a balance between flavor and simplicity, so I’m pretty sure that makes it the best vegetable soup recipe ever. 😉
Is Homemade Vegetable Soup Healthy?
Is vegetable soup healthy for weight loss? Yes, definitely! No matter what type of diet you follow, no one can argue that a big bowl of homemade vegetable soup is healthy for you.
In fact, I’d say that if your question is, “What is the healthiest soup?” – this one just might be the answer. It’s packed with so many different types of veggies for loads of nutrients, but at the same time it’s light on calories and carbs.
Is Vegetable Soup Low Carb?
Is vegetable soup keto friendly? Yes, it can be. While it’s true that carbs can add up with certain types of veggies, this low carb vegetable soup recipe can fit into even the lowest carb diets.
More specifically, this keto vegetable soup has 8 grams net carbs per serving. And, all the carbs come from veggies, which is always a good thing. It’s definitely the best vegetable soup recipe in my book!
What Vegetables Go In Vegetable Soup?
You can use almost any veggies you like! This low carb vegetable soup recipe contains these veggies:
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
- Diced tomatoes
How To Make Low Carb Vegetable Soup on the Stove
Now, I’ll show you my step-by-step process for how to make vegetable soup on the stove. It’s super fast!
To start, saute some onions and bell peppers in olive oil until they are nice and soft. The onions should start to brown a bit. Feel free to saute to your liking! I like them nice and browned, to the point where the onions are starting to caramelize.
Add the minced garlic and saute for a minute longer, to let the flavor develop.
Add the rest of the soup ingredients – cauliflower, green beans, canned diced tomatoes, broth and Italian seasoning. Stick a couple bay leaves in there, too, along with salt and pepper.
PRO TIP: You can use any broth you like! I prefer the flavor of chicken broth, which saves on carbs, but if that’s not a big deal, vegetable broth makes this a low carb vegetarian vegetable soup recipe (and vegan, too!).
Bring the soup to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, until the veggies are soft. I love that this is so quick!
How To Make Vegetable Soup in a Crock Pot
What if you want to make low carb vegetable soup in a Crock Pot instead? You can!
For crock pot version, you’ll still need to saute the onions, peppers, and garlic first, just like above. Then place these into the Crock Pot along with the remaining ingredients.
How long to cook keto vegetable soup in a slow cooker? Cook on 2 hours on High or 4 hours on Low.
What Can I Add To My Vegetable Soup For Flavor?
My preferred seasoning for homemade vegetable soup is Italian seasoning. It tastes great and saves time getting out multiple seasoning containers. And if your pantry is not fully stocked with every spice and dried herb under the sun, Italian seasoning is a good all-purpose option to buy.
But, if you prefer to mix your own and aren’t sure which herbs to use for vegetable soup, try these herbs (and spices, and other add-ins!) in any combination you like:
- Paprika – regular or smoked!
- Lemon zest
- Ginger root
- Star anise
- Bay leaves
- Sea salt – a must!
- Pepper – black, white, cayenne or even chili
Just remember that overdoing it can be just as bad as skipping the spices. Pick one flavor profile to stick to, either with a tried-and-true seasoning mix or by choosing a couple herbs and spices to focus on.
In addition to herbs and spices, sometimes a soup just needs PH balance. Lemon juice or vinegar can add more acidity, while heavy cream or coconut cream can make it more alkaline.
How To Solve Common Issues with Keto Vegetable Soup
This homemade vegetable soup recipe is pretty classic and versatile, so hopefully you won’t have any issues! But if you do, here is how to solve them:
- Vegetable soup too sweet? Add a splash of vinegar or a bit more salt.
- Vegetable soup too bland? Add more salt first as that’s the most common issue. If it’s salty enough, try more herbs and spices – see ideas above!
- Vegetable soup too spicy? If you don’t mind changing the type of soup a bit, the best way to tame spiciness is by adding a bit of heavy cream (or coconut cream if you are dairy-free). If you don’t want a creamy vegetable soup, you can try diluting the spiciness with more broth. A splash of vinegar can also help.
- Vegetable soup too salty? Vinegar or lemon juice can help balance out the salt, so try adding one of these. Another good option is an additional can of diced tomatoes, because it will balance the salt without requiring you to cook the soup for longer.
- Vegetable soup too acidic? Similar to fixing vegetable soup that’s too spicy, heavy cream or coconut cream can tame soup that’s too acidic. Some people also recommend sifting some baking soda onto the surface of the soup, since it’s alkaline, but I haven’t tried it to verify.
Can You Freeze Vegetable Soup?
Yes, you can freeze vegetable soup. It freezes great! Let it cool to room temperature, then pour into airtight zip lock bags. Lay flat in the freezer until solid, and after that you can move them upright to save space if needed.
To thaw low carb vegetable soup, simply let the bag sit in the fridge overnight (in a container or pot to be safe, in case it leaks!), then heat on the stovetop.
More Low Carb Vegetable Soup Recipes
Need ideas for more keto vegetable soup recipes? Try these!
- 5-Ingredient Broccoli Cheese Soup – A reader favorite… and mine!
- Beef Cabbage Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Chicken Caldo de Pollo Soup
Or, find more low carb soup recipes here.
Tools To Make Low Carb Vegetable Soup:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Ladle – This one has a generous size and the handle is super comfortable to hold.
- Dutch oven – For the stove top version.
- Slow cooker – Only if you want to make your keto friendly vegetable soup in a Crock Pot instead of the stove.
More Low Carb Recipes To Love
The Best Keto Low Carb Vegetable Soup Recipe
The best vegetable soup recipe ever, ready in 30 minutes! If you want to know how to make healthy vegetable soup or keto low carb vegetable soup, this one checks all the boxes.
Click on the underlined text below to buy ingredients!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 2 large Bell peppers (diced, the same size as onions)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 medium head Cauliflower (cut into 1-inch florets)
- 2 cups Green beans (trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 14.5-oz cans Diced tomatoes
- 8 cups Chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Bay leaves (optional)
- Sea salt (optional, to taste)
- Black pepper (optional, to taste)
More TIPS about this recipe in the post above!
VIDEO + NUTRITION INFO + RECIPE NOTES below!
Heat olive oil in a pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
Add the onions and bell peppers. Saute for 7 to 10 minutes, until onions are translucent and browned.
Add the minced garlic. Saute for about a minute, until fragrant.
Add the cauliflower, green beans, diced tomatoes, broth, and Italian seasoning. Adjust sea salt and black pepper to taste. Add the bay leaves, if using.
Bring the soup to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for about 10 to 20 minutes, until veggies are soft.
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Low Carb Vegetable Soup:
Click or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Low Carb Vegetable Soup!
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Did you make this recipe?
Then, share a pic on Instagram. Tag @wholesomeyumblog or #wholesomeyum!