This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Truth be told, my memories of salisbury steak revolve around those terrible TV dinners my dad used to get when I was growing up. But like anything else that they turn into one of those dinners, the homemade version is about eleventy billion times better. And this low carb keto salisbury steak recipe with mushroom and onion gravy is no exception. It may look impressive (and it tastes impressive, let me tell you!), but it takes only 30 minutes to prepare, making it totally weeknight friendly — without having to resort to that processed pre-made stuff.
Serve this healthy salisbury steak over keto mashed cauliflower for a delicious, nutritious meal everyone will love.
Salisbury steak traditionally uses breadcrumbs to hold the meat patties together, and some kind of flour to thicken the sauce, but we need neither in this low carb salisbury steak recipe. We use cream cheese to thicken the gravy, and almond flour makes the perfect keto-friendly breadcrumb swap! Wholesome Yum Almond Flour is blanched and super finely milled, so you won’t even notice the difference.
THE EASY KETO FREEZER SYSTEM
Make 12 meals in 2 hours, plus recipes and freezer guides!
Keto Salisbury Steak Ingredients
This keto friendly salisbury steak is made with simple ingredients…
For the salisbury steak:
- Ground beef – I prefer this grass-fed beef delivered to my door, but any kind will do. I recommend 85/15 for good flavor.
- Wholesome Yum Blanched Almond Flour – It’s important to use super fine blanched almond flour like this one for the right texture in your low carb salisbury steak.
- Sugar-free ketchup – You can use my homemade keto ketchup recipe, or buy sugar-free ketchup here.
- Dijon mustard – Look for one like this with no added sugar.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Olive oil – For frying the patties.
For the gravy:
- Butter – I like this grass-fed butter, but any kind will do as long as it’s unsalted.
- Onion – Use white or yellow onions. Sweet onion will also work, but carbs are a bit higher.
- Cremini mushrooms – You can buy the mushrooms sliced already, or slice them yourself.
- Beef broth – I use regular beef broth, but if you use a low-sodium version, you may need to season with more salt to taste.
- Sugar-free ketchup – Same as above.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Cream cheese – Use full fat cream cheese for best flavor and keto benefits.
How To Make Keto Salisbury Steak
This keto salisbury steak recipe with mushroom gravy comes together in a few simple steps.
- Mix keto chopped steak. In a large bowl, mix ground beef, almond flour, sugar-free ketchup, dijon, sea salt, and black pepper. Mix until combined. Use your hands to shape the beef into 4 patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
TIP: Don’t over-mix. If you do, the patties can be tough when they are done.
- Cook steaks. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet and cook patties on both sides, until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Saute onions and mushrooms. Wipe down the skillet and reduce heat. Add butter and onions, cooking until soft. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms have softened and onions are browned.
TIP: You can cook them as shown below, or if you like, cook for longer for more caramelized onions.
- Make gravy. Add beef broth, sugar-free ketchup, sea salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. At the end, stir in cream cheese and mix until gravy is smooth.
- Assemble. Return the patties to the pan and spoon gravy over thm. Cook until warm.
Low Carb Salisbury Steak FAQs
Is salisbury steak keto?
Most salisbury steak recipes will not be keto, because of the flour or breadcrumbs used to bind the patties and in the gravy. This low carb salisbury steak gravy recipe is keto friendly, as we’ve used almond flour to bind the steaks together and cream cheese to thicken the gravy.
How many carbs in salisbury steak?
Average salisbury steak recipes will have about 15+ grams carbohydrates per serving. This low carb salisbury steak recipe has 5.9g net carbs per serving.
Is salisbury steak healthy?
Many salisbury steak recipes are made with white flour and breadcrumbs. This version uses almond flour for a nutritious and tasty variation that adds nutrients and keeps the carbs down.
Can you make the gravy thicker?
Yes, you can. For an extra thick gravy, simmer the broth mixture for longer to reduce it more, before adding the cream cheese. You can also add more cream cheese at the end to make it thicker.
Salisbury steak is best made fresh, but you can do a few things to prep the recipe:
- Mix up and shape ground beef mixture
- Dice onions
- Slice mushrooms
When you’re ready to eat, start recipe at step #3 (cooking patties).
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze keto hamburger steak with gravy?
You can freeze the hamburger steak for 2-3 months, but the gravy may change texture a bit due to the freezing and thawing process.
How to reheat low carb salisbury steak:
Reheat the chopped steaks in a hot skillet or microwave, until heated through.
What To Serve With Salisbury Steak
All this low carb salisbury steak and gravy needs is some simple sides:
- Vegetable Sides – Vegetable recipes like roasted broccoli, sauteed zucchini, or roasted asparagus all pair well with keto salisbury steak and gravy. I served it with roasted green beans and mashed cauliflower, shown in the photos.
- Salads – Salad recipes like kale crunch salad, Italian marinated artichoke salad, or spring mix salad work great on the side.
- Breads – Try keto dinner rolls or for something quick, 90-second bread.
Tools To Make Healthy Salisbury Steak
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Cast Iron Skillet – All of the cooking for this healthy salisbury steak with mushrooms can happen in this one pan. The enameled interior reduces sticking and it’s beautiful enough to serve.
Keto Salisbury Steak Recipe
Keto Salisbury Steak Recipe
An easy low carb keto salisbury steak recipe, topped with a rich mushroom gravy! Ready in 30 minutes, this healthy salisbury steak makes a fast and delicious weeknight meal.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, mix ground beef, almond flour, sugar-free ketchup, Dijon mustard, sea salt, and black pepper until combined. Do not overmix.
Using your hands, form four 1/2-inch-thick oval shaped patties.
Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook for 4-5 minutes more, until cooked to your liking. Remove patties to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Wipe down the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add the butter and onions, and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until soft but not browned.
Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and onions have browned.
Add the beef broth, sugar-free ketchup, sea salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cream cheese, until the gravy is smooth and has thickened slightly.
Return the patties to the pan and spoon gravy over them. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the patties are warm.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 patty with gravy
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂