This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
With juicy chicken breasts and a velvety mushroom sauce, this creamy mushroom chicken recipe is one of the fastest chicken and mushroom recipes you can make — just 20 minutes! Creamy chicken with mushroom sauce has similar flavors to chicken marsala, chicken florentine, and chicken zucchini casserole, but with the addition of smoky bacon and zesty seasonings. It’s one of my favorite one pan meals!
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- Tender chicken and mushrooms
- Rich mushroom cream sauce with smoky bacon
- Done in 20 minutes
- Naturally low carb and gluten-free
- No thickeners needed
- Easy for weeknights, but special for when company’s coming
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for chicken with creamy mushroom sauce, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Chicken – Choose fresh, equally sized boneless skinless chicken breasts so they cook at the same rate. Boneless skinless chicken thighs are also great in this recipe, but cook time will vary.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – Since this creamy mushroom chicken is a gluten-free dish, we’re simply seasoning with salt and pepper instead of dredging in flour. The sauce will still come out thick and creamy!
- Olive Oil – Extra virgin olive imparts a clean, herby flavor to this recipe, but you can substitute your favorite cooking oil, or use half oil and half butter.
- Cremini Mushrooms – These meaty mushrooms also go by the name “baby bellas.” Other fresh mushrooms such as sliced portobellos, shiitake, or everyday white mushrooms will work as well.
- Bacon – Optional but adds so much flavor! You can get my preferred brand of bacon here, or any brand you like. If you already have oven baked bacon available, feel free to use that.
- Garlic – Use fresh cloves here, as they will get peeled and crushed. If you don’t have any, you can substitute 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Fresh Thyme – Adds fragrant depth to the cream sauce. If you need to substitute dried thyme, use 1/2 teaspoon. Alternatively, fresh rosemary would work great as a replacement.
- Cajun Seasoning – A blend of spices, including paprika, onion powder, and cayenne, among others. It brightens the flavor of the sauce, but you can omit it if desired.
- Heavy Cream – Acts as a natural cornstarch substitute to create a thick and smooth sauce in this creamy chicken mushroom recipe. (Heavy cream thickens when reduced.) Don’t substitute milk here, as your sauce will be watery, but coconut cream can work as an alternative if needed.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – Tangy parmesan cheese gives the mushroom sauce extra flavor and helps thicken as well.
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This section shows how to make creamy chicken and mushrooms, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Season. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Sear. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken on both sides until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Make mushroom sauce for chicken. Add mushrooms, bacon (if using), garlic, thyme, and Cajun seasoning (if using) to the skillet. Cook until lightly browned.
- Simmer. Stir in heavy cream and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Thicken. Add parmesan cheese and stir, until the creamy mushroom chicken sauce is smooth.
- Combine. Return the chicken to the pan. Cover the chicken with mushrooms and sauce. Cook just long enough to reheat the chicken. If desired, garnish creamy mushroom chicken with additional parmesan and fresh parsley.
- Store: Keep chicken mushroom recipe leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Warm on the stovetop over medium heat, or in the microwave at low power, until heated through.
- Freeze: Cover tightly or seal in a zip lock bag and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw overnight before reheating. The sauce may separate a little, but should come back together if you stir it.
What To Serve With Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Try these healthy, delicious pairings to go with creamy chicken and mushrooms:
- Potatoes – Make your favorite mashed potatoes (or mashed cauliflower), or try this dish with mashed sweet potatoes. Mashed works best to soak up the delicious sauce, but roasted potatoes (or roasted sweet potatoes) also work.
- Simple Salads – Caprese salad, spring mix salad, or a classic wedge salad would all compliment this creamy mushroom chicken recipe.
- Easy Veggies – I like serving this dish with pasta swaps like zucchini noodles or baked spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice, and roasted green beans.
More One Pan Chicken Recipes
Chicken makes the best one pan meals! Once you master this chicken mushroom recipe, try some of these easy ones next:
Tools To Make Chicken With Mushroom Sauce
- Large Skillet – One of my favorite skillets! This one has a heavy bottom, so it heats evenly and your creamy mushroom chicken cooks quickly.
- Meat Thermometer – Helps ensure that your chicken cook to perfection. Look for a reading of 165 degrees F when searing the chicken breasts.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Creamy Mushroom Chicken (20-Minute Dinner!)
This creamy mushroom chicken recipe features juicy golden chicken breasts and a creamy garlic parmesan mushroom sauce. Ready in 20 minutes!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken, about 4-8 minutes per side, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the mushrooms, bacon (if using), garlic, thyme, and Cajun seasoning (if using) to the same skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned.
Stir in heavy cream. Bring to a simmer.
Stir in the parmesan cheese, until the sauce is smooth.
Return the chicken to the skillet and cover with sauce. Cook for 1 minute to reheat the chicken, if needed.
If desired, garnish with more parmesan.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1/4 of entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Absolutely delicious, inexpensive, and just as fast as promised. Since my diabetic DH is eating low carb, but not keto, we splurged with modest helpings of fluffy mashed potatoes and a generous helping of fresh steamed green beans, and this sauce would make a terrific holiday green bean casserole. We don’t eat much bacon so it’s always a treat. I’ve cooked it in the oven for years now, and plan on leftover slices. I also save my bacon fat as it can add wonderful flavor in lots of dishes. This recipe would also taste great over those zero cal shirataki noodles which I use frequently.
This mushroom chicken was so good! I love how rich and creamy it is.
Really good dish! We used 2 cups of mushrooms and a 1/2 lb of uncured no sugar bacon and added a touch more of the homemade Cajun seasoning and we all loved it! We ate it over ancient grain rice/quinoa/lentils. It truly felt like a fancier dish than normal even though we make complicated meals regularly. 10/10
This was so quick to make and sooooo delicious. Putting this recipe into regular rotation!
Creamy, savory comfort. We loved it! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.