Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
I have lots of almond flour cake recipes here on Wholesome Yum, from classic yellow keto cake to sugar-free chocolate cake to sugar-free carrot cake, but this French almond cake is probably the easiest of them all. It has tons of almond flavor (Almonds! Almond extract! Almond flour!), with just the right amount of sweetness and a beautiful topping. It would make the perfect Mother’s Day brunch (or Christmas brunch!), or shower dessert.
Why You’ll Love This Almond Cake Recipe
- Sweet and nutty flavor
- Delicate, fluffy, and moist
- Real food, simple ingredients
- Easy to make in one bowl
- No refined sugar (unless you choose to use it)
- Naturally gluten-free, low carb, and healthy
I wanted to make sure this was a moist almond cake recipe, and it is! That’s because I use Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend in the batter — unlike other sweeteners, this one locks in moisture for softer baked goods with no aftertaste.
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for moist almond flour cake, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Almond Flour Cake:
- Wholesome Yum Almond Flour – Baking with this one creates a moist almond flour cake recipe without the gluten! This flour is my top recommendation because it has the finest texture. Avoid using almond meal, as the texture is too coarse and will make the cake gritty.
- Baking Powder – Produces air bubbles in the batter, which makes your cake light and fluffy. Don’t confuse this with baking soda, which is different.
- Sea Salt – Balances the sweetness.
- Unsalted Butter – What’s the key to the best almond cake recipe? Plenty of butter! Allow it to sit on the counter to soften before using. You could also use coconut oil for a dairy-free option, though the flavor won’t be as rich.
- Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – The completely natural sweetener that measures and bakes just like sugar… without the sugar. You could totally use regular sugar, or another sugar substitute if you prefer — use my sweetener conversion chart for exact amounts — but I prefer Besti because it keeps the cake perfectly moist, with no refined sugar.
- Eggs – No need to whip egg whites and egg yolks separately, like some almond cake recipes — we’re using whole eggs. I recommend letting them come up to room temperature. An egg substitute such as flax eggs may work, but the cake may be a bit more delicate after baking.
- Sour Cream – Adds moisture, richness, and flavor to this gluten free almond flour cake. I use a full-fat variety for richest flavor and texture, but any kind (or unflavored Greek yogurt) should work.
- Extracts – You will need both vanilla extract and almond extract for the perfect flavor combination.
- Melted Butter – To melt, simply place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it on high power in short intervals until it is completely melted. You can also use a double boiler.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – I only use powdered Besti here because it dissolves fully and won’t crystallize, which isn’t the case with some other sweeteners like erythritol and monk fruit. You can use other powdered sweeteners, but they may result in a gritty texture due to crystallization. Regular powdered sugar also works here if it fits your lifestyle.
- Vanilla & Almond Extract
- Sliced Almonds – Toasted almonds are used for a topping. I used sliced almonds, but slivered almonds would also work.
How To Make Almond Flour Cake
This section shows how to make cake with almond flour, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Preheat oven. Line springform pan or cake pan with parchment paper.
- Toast the almonds. Arrange almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Cream butter and Besti. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and Besti together with a hand mixer.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Beat in the almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt. It will be crumbly at this point, kind of like cookie dough.
- Beat in the wet ingredients. Mix in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Bake the almond flour cake. Transfer to a springform pan. Bake until top is golden and it springs back, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Release. Run a knife along the edges of the pan to release any parts that have stuck. If you used a springform pan, release and remove the sides.
- Glaze. Combine glaze ingredients. Place cake onto a wire rack. Use pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top and sides of the cake.
- Top. Sprinkle toasted almonds over cake and pat into the glaze. Drizzle remaining glaze on top of the almonds to help seal them.
- Cool. Let the cake cool completely. If desired, sprinkle with more powdered Besti for serving.
Tips For The Best Almond Cake
Follow these tips to make the best almond flour cake that will have everyone asking for seconds!
- Don’t burn the almonds. The difference between golden to burnt is just a minute or two, so watch them closely!
- Batter should be thick. The cake batter will be a little thick, which is normal! It shouldn’t be stiff, but not totally pourable, either.
- Use a springform pan. I use a springform pan for easy removal, but you can use a regular cake pan if that’s all you have. You’ll need it to cool a good amount before removing it.
- Release carefully. Run a knife along the edges first before releasing, or it might crumble!
- Store: The best way to store French almond flour cake is to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: To freeze this easy almond flour cake, let it cool completely first. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap or aluminum foil tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, let it thaw at room temperature first.
More Almond Flour Cake Recipes
If you love this French almond cake, I think you’ll want to try some of these other sugar-free and gluten-free cake recipes:
Tools To Make French Almond Cake
- Springform Pan – I recommend a springform pan for easy removal, but you could also use a regular 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- Baking Sheet – Includes a non-stick coating for easy cleanup and a unique corrugated pattern that prevents food from sticking.
- Electric Mixer – It’s easy to mix up this cake using a hand mixer. This one is affordable and powerful.
- Wire Rack – After baking, a wire rack is best for cooling cakes because it allows air to circulate and prevents the cake from becoming soggy.
- Pastry Brush – Use a pastry brush for easy glazing.
Almond Flour Cake
Almond Flour Cake (Easy Recipe + Video!)
This French almond flour cake recipe is moist, fluffy, sweet, and easy to make, with a delectable vanilla glaze and toasted almonds on top.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Arrange almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 3-4 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Leave the oven on.
Meanwhile, beat butter and Besti together.
Beat in almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla and almond extracts.
Bake at 350 degrees (177 degrees C) for 28-32 minutes, until the top is golden and springs back, and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan, until warm but no longer hot.
Meanwhile, whisk together the glaze ingredients.
Run a knife along the edges of the pan to release any parts that have stuck. If you used a springform pan, release and remove the sides (you can keep it sitting on the bottom part). If you used a cake pan, carefully flip over a towel, then flip again so that the cake is right side up.
Sprinkle toasted almonds over the cake and pat into the glaze. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of glaze on top of the almonds to help seal them.
Let the cake cool completely. If desired, sprinkle with more powdered Besti for serving.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/12 entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂