FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Looking for a low carb dessert that’s both sweet and healthy, and is the perfect ending to just about any meal? Look no further than this French almond cake recipe. This almond flour cake (or keto almond cake as we also like to call it) has tons of almond flavor (Almonds! Almond extract! Almond flour!), with just the right amount of sweetness and a beautiful topping. I can’t stop thinking about how good this toasted almond cake would be with bulletproof tea, but it would also make the perfect holiday brunch or shower dessert.
I wanted to make sure this was a moist almond cake recipe, and it is! Between the sour cream, butter, and eggs, there’s nothing dry about this cake. You’re going to love it!
Can You Bake A Cake With Almond Flour?
Yes, you certainly can make a cake with almond flour and this almond flour cake proves it! In fact, almond flour cake recipes are a great gluten-free and low carb option.
If a birthday cake was more what you had in mind, try my keto birthday cake recipe instead. It uses almond flour as well.
How To Make Almond Cake
What’s the key to the best almond cake recipe? Plenty of fat (we use butter and sour cream!) and the method (creaming the butter with sweetener creates air!).
Here’s how to make this French almond cake recipe:
- Toast the almonds. Arrange the sliced almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until golden.
TIP: The difference between golden to burnt is just a minute or two, so watch them closely!
- Cream the butter and sweetener. You want the butter to turn light and fluffy, but not beat so much that it starts to melt.
- Beat in almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt. It will be crumbly at this point, kind of like cookie dough.
- Add wet ingredients. Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and almond extracts.
TIP: The batter will be a little thick, which is normal! It shouldn’t be stiff, but not totally pourable, either.
- Bake sweet almond cake. Transfer to a springform pan. Bake until top is golden and it springs back, and a toothpick comes out clean.
TIP: We use a springform pan for easy removal, but you can use a regular cake pan if that’s all you have. You’ll need it to cool a good amount before removing it.
- Make glaze. Whisk together melted butter, powdered erythritol, almond extract, and vanilla until smooth.
- Release toasted almond cake from the springform pan. Or if you are using a regular cake pan, you’ll need to carefully flip twice to get it out of the pan and right side up.
TIP: Run a knife along the edges first before releasing, or it might crumble!
- Glaze the French almond cake. Place the cake onto a wire rack and while the cake is still warm, use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Reserve 1 tbsp of glaze.
- Finish cake with almonds. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the cake and pat into glaze. Drizzle with remaining glaze to help seal them onto the cake.
- Let the toasted almond cake recipe cool completely, then slice and serve. It can be fragile before cooling… and it’s worth the wait!
How To Store Almond Flour Cake
The best way to store keto almond flour cake is to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to five days.
If you need to store it longer than that…
How To Freeze Keto Almond Cake
You can also freeze this almond cake recipe if you need it to keep longer than five days.
To freeze it, let it cool completely. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap or aluminum foil tightly and freeze for up to three months.
To serve, let it thaw at room temperature first.
More Keto Cake Recipes
If you love this almond cake with almond flour, I think you’ll want to try some of these other low carb and keto cake recipes:
- Keto Cheesecake – By far the most popular keto dessert!
- Strawberry Lemonade Cake – Add this bright and fresh cake recipe to your summer cake list. It’s a must!
- Paleo Vanilla Mug Cake – When you need a cake fix and you need it fast, mug cakes are the way to go.
- Keto Chocolate Mug Cake – The chocolate version of my healthy mug cake. Drizzle with sugar-free chocolate syrup for an extra dose of chocolate.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake – Rich, thick, and oh-so fudgy. It’s what flourless cakes are known for! This is all of that, without all the sugar!
Tools To Make Toasted Almond Cake:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Hand Mixer – It’s easy to mix up this cake made with almond flour using a hand mixer. This one is affordable and powerful.
- Springform Pan – A springform pan is a must for toasted almond cake. It’s the best way ensure a flawless French almond cake.
- Pastry Brush – Once the almond cake recipe from scratch is done baking, it’s time for the glaze. Use a pastry brush for easy glazing.
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto French Almond Cake Recipe
See how to make keto almond flour cake with 4g net carbs! This easy toasted almond cake recipe is delicious and tastes like a real French almond cake.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line the bottom of a springform pan or cake pan with parchment paper.
Arrange almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 3-4 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Leave the oven on.
Meanwhile, beat butter and sweetener together.
Beat in almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla and almond extracts.
Bake at 350 degrees (177 degrees C) for 28-32 minutes, until the top is golden and springs back, and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan, until warm but no longer hot.
Meanwhile, whisk together the glaze ingredients.
Run a knife along the edges of the pan to release any parts that have stuck. If you used a springform pan, release and remove the sides (you can keep it sitting on the bottom part). If you used a cake pan, carefully flip over a towel, then flip again so that the cake is right side up.
Place the cake onto a wire rack. While the cake is still warm, use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top and sides of the cake, reserving 1 tablespoon (14 ml) of glaze.
Sprinkle toasted almonds over the cake and pat into the glaze. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of glaze on top of the almonds to help seal them.
Let the cake cool completely. If desired, sprinkle with more powdered sweetener for serving.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/12 entire recipe
Video Showing How To Make French Almond Cake:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make French Almond Cake!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂