FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 170,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Pasta may be off the table if you’re cutting carbs, but there are plenty of low carb pasta alternatives! Low carb keto shrimp scampi with zucchini noodles is the perfect example. It’s quick and easy with common ingredients, ready in just 25 minutes, and packed with flavor. With fresh garlic, butter, lemon juice, and parsley, it’s not just the most delicious way to make shrimp scampi keto… in my book, it’s the most delicious version of this dish, period. The added veggies and low carbs in zucchini shrimp scampi are just added bonuses.
What Is Shrimp Scampi?
Shrimp scampi is an Italian-American pasta dish with shrimp, cooked in a garlic butter sauce. Sometimes, the scampi sauce also includes white wine, but I opted for broth instead. I think it turns out a lot more flavorful.
Why Is It Called Shrimp Scampi?
Scampi are actually tiny crustaceans similar to lobster. Italians used to saute them in olive oil, garlic, and white wine. Later, Italian cooks in the United States replaced the scampi with shrimp, but kept both names, and added pasta somewhere along the way. So, shrimp scampi, as it’s commonly known today, was born. [*]
Is Shrimp Scampi Keto Friendly?
With it’s wheat noodles, traditional American shrimp scampi is a pasta dish and is not keto friendly.
However, this shrimp scampi with zucchini noodles is definitely keto friendly! With just 5 grams net carbs per serving, it makes a great keto dinner or lunch.
How To Make Keto Shrimp Scampi
This healthy shrimp scampi with zucchini noodles is ready in less than 30 minutes! It may be simple, but it’s just as tasty (and way more wholesome!) than the carb-filled version.
Here’s how to make shrimp scampi keto friendly with zoodles:
- Salt zucchini noodles. This step is vital to ensure that you don’t end up with soggy zucchini noodles!
- Saute shrimp. Heat oil in a large pan and saute shrimp without moving, until the edges start to turn opaque and bottom starts to brown. Flip and saute until cooked through. Set aside and cover to keep warm. Save pan!
- Saute aromatics. Add another tablespoon of oil to the same pan and add garlic and shallots. Saute until browned.
- Make low carb shrimp scampi sauce. Add broth and scrape the bottom to deglaze. Simmer until volume has reduced by half. Stir in butter and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, season with salt and pepper and stir in fresh parsley.
- Cook zucchini noodles. Squeeze the zoodles gently to release any additional water and add noodles to pan, cooking just until hot.
TIP: Don’t try to squeeze the noodles too hard, or they’ll get mushy.
- Finish best low carb shrimp scampi. Stir shrimp back into pan, toss with zoodles, and serve.
Can You Make Shrimp Scampi With Zucchini Noodles Ahead?
If you want to prep zucchini noodles ahead, check out this guide to zoodles for all the details.
The best way to prep things ahead for zucchini shrimp scampi is to spiralize the noodles, but wait to cook them until right before serving. The noodles can get soggy or watery as they sit, so best to cook them and eat immediately.
How To Store Low Carb Shrimp Scampi
Store any leftover low carb shrimp scampi in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Reheat just until hot in a hot skillet.
More Zucchini Noodle Recipes
If you like this keto shrimp scampi recipe, you might also like some of these other zucchini noodle recipes:
- How To Make Zucchini Noodles – This is the ultimate guide guide to zoodles! Everything you need to know to prep, make, and serve zucchini noodles.
- Zucchini Noodle Salad – This easy salad has bright and savory flavors – it’s like a pasta salad without the carbs!
- Zucchini Alfredo – Yes, even zoodles can be turned into alfredo and it’s delicious!
- Cheesy Zucchini Casserole – Ok, technically not zoodles, but such a great way to eat zucchini. It’s rich and cheesy and hard to stop eating.
Tools To Make Zucchini Shrimp Scampi:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Spiralizer – The fastest way to make a pile of zoodles for low carb shrimp scampi. Can also use it for just about any veggie noodles.
- Hand Spiralizer – Also a great options to make shrimp scampi zucchini noodles with a smaller footprint. Not quite as fast, but works well!
- Hard Anodized Skillet – This is set is great quality, for even heat distribution and great browning. The sizes are the ones I use most in the kitchen.
Low Carb Keto Shrimp Scampi With Zucchini Noodles:
Pin it to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Low Carb Keto Shrimp Scampi With Zucchini Noodles
This low carb keto shrimp scampi recipe with zucchini noodles makes a 25-minute one-pan meal! Zucchini shrimp scampi is an easy, delicious way to make shrimp scampi keto and healthier, too.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the zucchini noodles in a colander over the sink and toss with salt. Let them sit for 20 minutes. The salt will bring out the water.
Heat 2 tablespoons (29 ml) of oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
Add the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer. Saute for 2-3 minutes without moving, until the edges start to turn opaque and the bottom starts to brown. Flip and saute for 1-3 more minutes, until cooked through. Remove shrimp from the pan, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
Add another tablespoon (14 ml) of oil to the pan. Add the minced garlic and shallots to the pan. Saute for about 2-3 minutes, until browned.
Add broth and scrape the bottom to deglaze. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the liquid volume reduces by half.
Stir in butter and lemon juice. After butter melts, bring to a simmer and simmer for 3-4 more minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan, until volume is reduced. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in fresh parsley.
Once the zucchini seems watery and softened, squeeze the zoodles gently to release some additional water - don’t try to squeeze hard every last drop, or they can get mushy. Add the zucchini noodles to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, just until hot.
Stir the shrimp back into the pan.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Shrimp Scampi:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Shrimp Scampi!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂