This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This time of year, there’s one flavor combination that wins over every other. And it’s tomatoes and basil. This Caprese salad skewers recipe is the perfect way to enjoy this classic summer flavor combo. Mini Caprese skewers (or tomato basil skewers, as they are sometimes called) are easy, naturally low carb, and SO fun!
If you like Caprese salad, you’re going to love Caprese salad skewers! It’s food on a stick, after all!
And, this Caprese appetizer skewers recipe takes full advantage of this killer combo by including basil leaves AND the pesto sauce. I’ve learned that a double dose of basil is always a good idea.
You can probably tell that low carb tomato basil recipes are pretty big around here. I make them every chance I get and especially all summer long while the tomato and basil plants are flourishing! From Caprese stuffed avocado to Caprese crustless quiche, there are lots of reasons to celebrate tomato and basil season.
My mini Caprese skewers recipe is the latest addition, and you’re going to love it!
What Are Caprese Salad Skewers?
Caprese salad skewers are essentially a Caprese salad on-a-stick! Caprese salad is usually made of tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and fresh basil. Sometimes the dressing is olive oil, sometimes balsamic, and in this recipe for Caprese appetizer skewers, we used a pesto sauce drizzle.
This fun version takes Caprese salad on-the-go by putting it on small toothpicks. It’s the perfect way to serve salad for parties or picnics because they are bite-sized and portable.
How To Make Mini Caprese Skewers
This recipe for Caprese skewers with pesto is so easy! Let me show you how to put together these mini Caprese skewers. They take just a few minutes, and can easily be prepped ahead of time – perfect for parties!
- Thread the food onto the toothpicks. Add tomatoes, bacon pieces, fresh basil, and mozzarella balls, in that order.
- Make pesto drizzle. Whisk together basil pesto and olive oil together. This helps get it to a drizzling consistency.
- Finish the skewers. Drizzle them with pesto and top with fresh ground pepper.
Can You Make Caprese Skewers Ahead Of Time?
Yes, there are a few ways to make these Caprese skewers ahead of time. You can assemble the Caprese skewers entirely beforehand, if you want.
Alternatively, for the freshest results, do almost everything ahead, except drizzle with pesto right before serving.
They are really fast and easy to make, so I usually prefer to prep all of the ingredients and have them ready to go and then thread onto the toothpicks right before serving. All you need to do is cook the bacon and make the pesto sauce.
How To Store Caprese Appetizer Skewers
If you’re making these mozzarella Caprese skewers ahead, store the made-up skewers and pesto sauce separately until you’re ready to serve them.
When it’s time to serve them, take them out of the refrigerator, and drizzle with the pesto sauce.
More Low Carb Tomato and Basil Recipes
I told you about my love for tomato and basil recipes! If you love these Caprese appetizer skewers, you might like some of these other summer-produce recipes featuring tomatoes, basil, and zucchini.
- Baked Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breast with Bacon – Some of my favorite things in one easy chicken dinner!
- Pesto Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna – One pan meal that’s full of flavor, protein, and of course, low in carbs!
- Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Bake – An update on chicken casserole with fresh pesto flavor and tons of vegetables.
- Zucchini Noodle Salad with Bacon & Tomatoes – This cold zucchini noodle salad recipe is a delicious, healthy way to enjoy raw spiralized zucchini noodles.
Tools To Make Tomato Basil Skewers:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- 4 Inch Bamboo Skewers – You’ll need some small skewers or toothpicks to make these mini caprese skewers! Toothpicks work just fine, but these bamboo skewers are also a great option!
- White Porcelain Platter – Show off your cherry tomato appetizer skewers on a white platter like this one.
- Glass Nesting Bowls – I use these bowls on a daily basis! You can use them to mix up the pesto drizzle for this mini caprese salad and prep all of the other components.
Caprese Salad Skewers with Pesto & Bacon (Tomato Basil Skewers):
Pin it to save for later!
More Low Carb Recipes To Love
Caprese Salad Skewers Recipe with Pesto & Bacon
This easy mini Caprese salad skewers recipe (tomato basil skewers) with pesto and bacon needs just 6 ingredients! It's a quick and healthy appetizer everyone will love.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Skewer the tomatoes, bacon pieces, fresh basil, and mozzarella balls onto the toothpicks, in that order. (You can fold any larger basil pieces as needed.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pesto and olive oil. If it's still thick, thin out with more oil.
- Drizzle the pesto over the skewers. Top with fresh ground pepper.
Serving size: 3 skewers
Video Showing How To Make Caprese Skewers:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Caprese Skewers!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Did you make this recipe?
Join the Easy Keto Challenge to enter monthly giveaways every time you share your pics of my recipes!