FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This time of year, there’s one flavor combination that wins over every other. And it’s tomatoes and basil. This Caprese salad skewers recipe is the perfect way to enjoy this classic summer flavor combo. Mini Caprese skewers (or tomato basil skewers, as they are sometimes called) are easy, naturally low carb, and SO fun!
If you like Caprese salad, you’re going to love Caprese salad skewers! It’s food on a stick, after all!
And, this Caprese appetizer skewers recipe takes full advantage of this killer combo by including basil leaves AND the pesto sauce. I’ve learned that a double dose of basil is always a good idea.
You can probably tell that low carb tomato basil recipes are pretty big around here. I make them every chance I get and especially all summer long while the tomato and basil plants are flourishing! From Caprese stuffed avocado to Caprese crustless quiche, there are lots of reasons to celebrate tomato and basil season.
My mini Caprese skewers recipe is the latest addition, and you’re going to love it!
What Are Caprese Salad Skewers?
Caprese salad skewers are essentially a Caprese salad on-a-stick! Caprese salad is usually made of tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and fresh basil. Sometimes the dressing is olive oil, sometimes balsamic, and in this recipe for Caprese appetizer skewers, we used a pesto sauce drizzle.
This fun version takes Caprese salad on-the-go by putting it on small toothpicks. It’s the perfect way to serve salad for parties or picnics because they are bite-sized and portable.
How To Make Mini Caprese Skewers
This recipe for Caprese skewers with pesto is so easy! Let me show you how to put together these mini Caprese skewers. They take just a few minutes, and can easily be prepped ahead of time – perfect for parties!
- Thread the food onto the toothpicks. Add tomatoes, bacon pieces, fresh basil, and mozzarella balls, in that order.
- Make pesto drizzle. Whisk together basil pesto and olive oil together. This helps get it to a drizzling consistency.
- Finish the skewers. Drizzle them with pesto and top with fresh ground pepper.
Can You Make Caprese Skewers Ahead Of Time?
Yes, there are a few ways to make these Caprese skewers ahead of time. You can assemble the Caprese skewers entirely beforehand, if you want.
Alternatively, for the freshest results, do almost everything ahead, except drizzle with pesto right before serving.
They are really fast and easy to make, so I usually prefer to prep all of the ingredients and have them ready to go and then thread onto the toothpicks right before serving. All you need to do is cook the bacon and make the pesto sauce.
How To Store Caprese Appetizer Skewers
If you’re making these mozzarella Caprese skewers ahead, store the made-up skewers and pesto sauce separately until you’re ready to serve them.
When it’s time to serve them, take them out of the refrigerator, and drizzle with the pesto sauce.
More Low Carb Tomato and Basil Recipes
I told you about my love for tomato and basil recipes! If you love these Caprese appetizer skewers, you might like some of these other summer-produce recipes featuring tomatoes, basil, and zucchini.
- Baked Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breast with Bacon – Some of my favorite things in one easy chicken dinner!
- Pesto Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna – One pan meal that’s full of flavor, protein, and of course, low in carbs!
- Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Bake – An update on chicken casserole with fresh pesto flavor and tons of vegetables.
- Zucchini Noodle Salad with Bacon & Tomatoes – This cold zucchini noodle salad recipe is a delicious, healthy way to enjoy raw spiralized zucchini noodles.
Tools To Make Tomato Basil Skewers
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- 4 Inch Bamboo Skewers – You’ll need some small skewers or toothpicks to make these mini caprese skewers! Toothpicks work just fine, but these bamboo skewers are also a great option!
- White Porcelain Platter – Show off your cherry tomato appetizer skewers on a white platter like this one.
- Glass Nesting Bowls – I use these bowls on a daily basis! You can use them to mix up the pesto drizzle for this mini caprese salad and prep all of the other components.
Caprese Salad Skewers with Pesto & Bacon (Tomato Basil Skewers):
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Caprese Salad Skewers Recipe with Pesto & Bacon
This easy mini Caprese salad skewers recipe (tomato basil skewers) with pesto and bacon needs just 6 ingredients! It's a quick and healthy appetizer everyone will love.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Skewer the tomatoes, bacon pieces, fresh basil, and mozzarella balls onto the toothpicks, in that order. (You can fold any larger basil pieces as needed.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pesto and olive oil. If it's still thick, thin out with more oil.
- Drizzle the pesto over the skewers. Top with fresh ground pepper.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 3 skewers
Video Showing How To Make Caprese Skewers:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Caprese Skewers!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂