Free: Healthy 5-Ingredient Meals EbookGet It Now
Creamy lemon chicken tastes so luxurious, yet it’s easy to prep and enjoy all week long! Whether you make it for a weeknight dinner, date night, or meal prep lunch, this lemon garlic parmesan chicken recipe is one you’ll want to bookmark for any occasion.
It’s an upgrade to more basic pan seared chicken breast that everyone will love, and just as fast as dishes like lemon chicken piccata. And, just like my garlic butter chicken and chicken florentine, this creamy lemon chicken is cooked all in one pan for easy cleanup!
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Juicy, tender chicken
- Tangy, creamy sauce
- Basic ingredients
- Ready in 20 minutes
- Uses one pan
- Ideal for meal prep or easy weeknight dinners
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the ingredients for the best lemon parmesan chicken, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts – Choose cuts similar in size so they cook more evenly, about 8 ounces. You could also make creamy lemon chicken thighs or chicken tenderloins instead, but cook times will be different.
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
Lemon Parmesan Sauce:
- Minced garlic – Mince your own, or get it jarred to save time.
- Heavy cream – Makes a silky sauce that tastes instantly fancy.
- Chicken broth – Thins out the sauce to the right consistency, plus it adds flavor. Make your own chicken broth or use store-bought for convenience.
- Italian seasoning – Make your own homemade Italian seasoning or use pre-made. It’s optional, but adds a boost of flavor!
- Grated parmesan cheese – Use store-bought grated cheese to save time (the refrigerated ones produce superior results over the shelf stable kind in a plastic can), or grate it yourself. Other hard cheeses, like romano or asiago, would work as well.
- Lemon juice – Adds bright flavor to the creamy sauce. Juice your own lemons or use a bottled variety.
How To Make Creamy Lemon Chicken
This section shows how to make lemon parmesan chicken, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Saute chicken. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper and sear in a hot cast iron pan on both sides, until browned and nearly done. Remove to a plate and cover with foil.
- Make sauce base. Add garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant. Add broth, cream, and Italian seasoning and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Thicken. Reduce heat and stir in parmesan cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in lemon juice.
- Finish. Return the chicken to the pan. Simmer the creamy lemon chicken until completely cooked through. Garnish with parsley and lemon.
- Store: Keep creamy lemon chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
- Reheat: Heat in a microwave or hot skillet, until warm.
- Freezing is not recommended. Cream sauces don’t do well in the freezer.
What To Serve With Lemon Parmesan Chicken
The best part about this creamy lemon chicken recipe? It pairs with so many sides!
- Roasted veggies – Oven roasted mushrooms, simple roasted cauliflower, summery roasted zucchini, or quick roasted green beans pair very well with this easy chicken.
- Chopped salads – Serve this chicken with Greek salad, antipasto salad, or avocado caprese salad. For a sweeter option, try mandarin orange salad.
- Crispy veggies – Try bacon wrapped asparagus, parmesan zucchini fries, or crispy fried brussels sprouts next to creamy lemon chicken.
- Starches – Oven roasted potatoes or pasta make a good pairing. I serve with healthier mashed cauliflower or zucchini noodles.
Tools I Use For This Recipe
- Staub Enameled Cast Iron Braiser – This heavy duty pan is big enough to fit all the chicken at once, and it helps meat and sauces cook more evenly.
Creamy Lemon Chicken (20 Minutes!)
This easy, creamy lemon chicken recipe with parmesan is done in just 20 minutes. Perfect for a quick chicken dinner or meal prep!
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large cast iron pan (I like this enameled cast iron one) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 4-8 minutes per side, without moving, until browned and almost done (internal temperature should reach 160 degrees F). Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium. Add the minced garlic to the pan. Saute for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add the chicken broth, cream, and Italian seasoning, if using. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese, until it melts into a smooth sauce.
Stir in the lemon juice, and adjust amount to taste if desired.
Return the chicken to the pan. Simmer the chicken in sauce for 1-2 minutes, until hot and completely cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F).
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1 chicken breast with sauce
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂