Free: Healthy 5-Ingredient Meals EbookGet It Now
On the hunt for a simple, delicious, and healthy side dish? This oven roasted carrots recipe (a.k.a. honey glazed carrots) will add a sweet and savory touch to any meal! Honey roasted carrots need only five basic ingredients, but simply adding honey elevates their natural sweetness, for a flavor the whole family will love. My youngest girl keeps asking me to make them!
Carrots are one of my favorite root vegetables to roast. Prep for this roasted carrots recipe looks a lot like air fryer carrots or roasted carrots and parsnips, and brings out natural caramelization in the veggies. If you love easy, hearty sides, this is the next one to try!
Why You’ll Love This Honey Roasted Carrots Recipe
- Sweet and savory flavors
- Perfectly caramelized glazed carrots
- Just 5 basic ingredients (plus salt & pepper)
- Only 10 minutes to prep
- Healthy and nutritious, with a low carb option
- Versatile, easy side dish for just about anything
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for oven roasted carrots, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Whole Carrots – Look for firm, bright orange carrots for roasting — or choose multi-color ones for variety. You could also use baby carrots, but cook time may vary. The glaze here also works nicely for parsnips or roasted brussels sprouts if you want to throw those in!
- Honey – I prefer sugar-free honey for no added sugar (it tastes the same and has no aftertaste), but you can use regular as well. You could even use sugar-free jalapeno honey if you like a kick.
- Olive Oil – Promotes caramelization and helps the seasonings stick. Ghee, coconut oil, or avocado oil make excellent alternatives if needed.
- Seasonings – Fresh thyme (or other fresh herbs like parsley), garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. You can also substitute dried herbs (like Italian seasoning) in this roasted carrots recipe if you need to — just use 1 teaspoon dried in place of 1 tablespoon fresh.
How To Roast Carrots
This section shows how to make roasted carrots, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prepare the carrots. Trim stems off carrots, leaving a ½ inch of the stem remaining. Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler (or a paring knife).
- Make the honey glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Toss to coat. Place the honey carrots in a single layer on a large baking sheet (you can leave it bare or line with parchment paper or foil if you like). Pour the honey mixture over them, and toss until evenly coated.
- Roast carrots. Bake the roasted carrots in the oven, until the veggies are fork tender and the honey mixture starts to caramelize. I like to garnish with some extra thyme leaves, but parsley works as well or skip the garnish.
How Long To Roast Carrots?
Roasted carrots in the oven take 25-30 minutes. Cooking times may differ depending on the size of the carrots and how tender you like them.
TIP: Prefer more browning? Broil for a couple of minutes at the end.
You can also opt to line the pan with foil or skip lining altogether, as parchment paper produces less browning.
- Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- Meal prep: You can cut and peel the carrots ahead of time, wrap in damp paper towels to prevent drying out, and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also make the honey glaze ahead. Alternatively, make the entire recipe for roasted carrots in advance and portion into meal prep containers with your favorite chicken or fish for quick lunches.
- Reheat: Spread the carrots on a baking sheet and reheat in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees F, until warm. You can also microwave them if you need to.
- Freeze: Cool completely, then store in a freezer-safe container or zip lock bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What To Serve With Honey Roasted Carrots
Now that you’ve mastered this honey roasted carrots recipe, you might be wondering what to serve with them. They make a perfect side dish with just about anything! Try these ideas:
- Chicken – Pair these roasted carrots with a simple baked chicken breast or chicken leg quarters for an easy, no-fuss meal. You can also make pan seared chicken breast or air fryer chicken thighs while you’re roasting carrots in the oven.
- Seafood – Balance the sweet notes of honey roasted carrots with savory grilled salmon or baked cod, or serve them with lemon garlic shrimp or sweet and tender crab legs.
- Steak – Enjoy alongside a juicy sirloin steak for a hearty meal, or easy garlic butter steak bites. They also make the perfect side with filet mignon or ribeye for a special meal.
- Pork – Try roasted carrots with honey alongside a juicy air fryer pork chops or baked pork chops.
- Other Sides – Add some roasted potatoes, air fryer sweet potatoes, or mashed cauliflower to round out your meal, or simply add a healthy salad instead.
- Holiday Mains – These carrots even make a fantastic side for the holidays. Pair them with air fryer turkey breast or a whole roasted turkey for a classic Thanksgiving meal.
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes
If you liked roasted carrot recipes, you’ll probably also like my other popular roasted veggie recipes:
Honey Roasted Carrots (Sweet & Easy!)
Transform carrots into a quick, perfect side dish with this honey roasted carrots recipe in the oven. Sweet, caramelized, and so easy!
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Trim the stems of the carrots, leaving a ½ inch of the stem remaining. Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler.
In a small bowl, mix the honey, olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper.
Place the carrots on the lined baking sheet and pour the mixture over top of them. Toss the carrots, until the mixture is evenly coating them.
Roast honey carrots in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the veggies are tender and the honey mixture is starting to caramelize. (Cooking times may differ depending on the size of the carrots and the desired tenderness you prefer.)
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 2 honey roasted carrots
Nutrition info uses sugar-free honey, but regular also works.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂