FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
For someone that grew up in a Russian family, I don’t have many Russian recipes here on the blog. One of the main reasons is that most Russian recipes aren’t low carb, plus many are more complicated than I like to begin with. However, I do enjoy coming back to my roots and creating healthier versions of some of the dishes from my heritage. This low carb keto beef stroganoff recipe with sour cream and cream cheese is a good example of a Russian dish that does not have to be time consuming or high in carbs. It’s hearty and satisfying, but lightened up served over spaghetti squash, so it won’t weigh you down.
Another plus? The whole family will love this keto ground beef stroganoff recipe! My little girls loved it. And since it comes together in just 30 minutes but also stores well, it’s great for weeknights or prepping ahead for an even quicker dinner.
I’ve probably tempted you to make this tonight! Go check your fridge, you probably have everything you need to make keto stroganoff right now.
What Is Beef Stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is a Russian dish featuring beef, mushrooms, and onions in a sour cream sauce, though there are many other variations.
The most popular version today is served over pasta, but if you’re low carb, I’ll show you a better option. 😉
How To Make Beef Stroganoff
This easy keto ground beef stroganoff comes together in just 30 minutes!
If you don’t have spaghetti squash prepared yet, you’ll want to do that first. Here is the fastest way to cook spaghetti squash in the oven.
Meanwhile, here’s how to make beef stroganoff:
- Saute vegetables. Saute the onions and mushrooms in olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, until veggies are soft and any extra liquid has evaporated.
- Brown ground beef. Push the veggies to the sides of the pan and add the ground beef in the center. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, and breaking the beef apart with a spatula.
Once it’s cooked through, stir together with mushrooms and onions.
- Add garlic. Make a well in the center of the pan and add minced garlic. Saute for a minute, until fragrant, then stir into the beef mixture.
- Make low carb stroganoff sauce. Add bone broth and coconut aminos. Bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced. Stir in sour cream and cream cheese, until smooth and creamy.
TIP for extra creamy beef stroganoff: Feel free to add more cream cheese, sour cream, or both to your liking.
- Serve keto hamburger stroganoff over spaghetti squash. I often prepare it ahead of time, then add a little olive oil and sea salt over it before topping with the beef mixture.
Keto Beef Stroganoff FAQs
Is beef stroganoff keto?
A classic beef stroganoff recipe with sour cream is already keto when you first make it in a skillet, but it isn’t anymore once you add the egg noodles.
In this keto friendly stroganoff recipe, we’re serving it over spaghetti squash for a low carb – but equally as satisfying – option.
How many calories in beef stroganoff?
Calories in beef stroganoff will vary depending on the recipe. This one has 378 calories per 1/2 cup serving.
That doesn’t seem like a very big serving size, and the reason is that it doesn’t include the spaghetti squash. You’d serve it over a cup or so of spaghetti squash for a full meal.
How to thicken beef stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff sauce thickens naturally – there is no need for a thickener. Stirring in sour cream and cream cheese makes the sauce thick on its own.
If for some reason your sauce is not as thick as you like, adding more cream cheese will make it thicker.
What cut of meat is best for beef stroganoff?
Traditional beef stroganoff is made with tender cuts of meat that cook quickly, such as sirloin steak or ribeye. However, we’re using ground beef instead for this easy ground beef stroganoff recipe.
Ground Beef Stroganoff Storage Instructions
Can you make ground beef stroganoff ahead?
Yes, keto beef stroganoff with ground beef is a perfect make-ahead meal! Here’s how to prep things ahead:
- Cook spaghetti squash and store in the refrigerator.
- Make low carb ground beef stroganoff through step 4, then let cool, and refrigerate. When ready to serve, heat in a skillet, and when hot, stir in sour cream and cream cheeses.
How to store beef stroganoff with sour cream
Store this low carb beef and noodles in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can you freeze beef stroganoff?
Yes, you can freeze beef stroganoff, but you’d want to skip adding the sour cream. Freezing beef stroganoff with sour cream may cause the sauce to break upon thawing, so it’s best added later after you reheat it.
You could delay adding the cream cheese as well until after reheating, but it should be fine to add the cream cheese before freezing if you like.
How to reheat beef stroganoff
If your meal was frozen, thaw it in the fridge overnight first, or if it’s in a sealed bag, in a bowl of water on the counter.
Then, either after thawing or just after storing in the fridge, reheat beef stroganoff in a hot skillet on the stove top. If you didn’t add sour cream before, add it at the end just as you would making it fresh.
The microwave is also fine for reheating leftovers if needed.
What To Serve With Beef Stroganoff
Classic beef stroganoff is served with egg noodles, which you can certainly do with this recipe, if you, your family, or friends are not low carb. For those of us who are low carb, I love serving this keto ground beef stroganoff recipe with spaghetti squash.
But it’s good with other sides, as well. Here are a few serving ideas for you:
- Zucchini Noodles – Zucchini noodles also make a great serving option for beef stroganoff with sour cream.
- Best Mashed Cauliflower – Serve the low carb beef stroganoff atop a mountain of keto mashed cauliflower. It’s creamy and rich!
- Keto Dinner Rolls – Another option is to serve the keto beef stroganoff recipe with a green salad and keto dinner rolls for soaking up any extra sauce.
- Creamy Cucumber Salad – A refreshing salad to serve on the side. And since it’s a common salad for Russians to make, it goes well with Russian beef stroganoff, too.
Tools To Make Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Non-stick Skillet – This entire beef stroganoff recipe with sour cream can be made in one skillet. Score for less dishes!
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any leftover low carb beef stroganoff in these container – you can microwave right in the container.
Low Carb Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe With Cream Cheese:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Low carb keto beef stroganoff with sour cream and cream cheese makes a hearty but healthy dinner in just 30 minutes, using common ingredients! The whole family will love it.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms. Saute for about 10 minutes, until onions and mushrooms are soft and browned, and extra liquid has evaporated.
Increase heat to medium-high. Push the mushrooms and onions to the sides, and add the ground beef to the center of the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking the beef apart with a spatula, until beef is cooked through. Once it starts to cook through a bit you can mix it with the mushrooms and onions.
Make a well in the center and add the minced garlic. Saute for about a minute, until fragrant, then stir in with the meat.
Add the bone broth and coconut aminos, if using. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes, until most of the liquid is reduced but a little is left.
Stir in the sour cream and cream cheese, until smooth.
Serve over spaghetti squash.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition facts do not include spaghetti squash.
Video Showing How To Make Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂