FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 170,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I drink bulletproof coffee almost daily – I love the taste and energy boost. Besides, I’m all about warming low carb drinks in these cool winter months. But later in the day, when I don’t want quite that much caffeine, keto tea is just perfect. Whether you’re cutting down on coffee, don’t like it, or just looking for other options, this keto bulletproof tea recipe is a great alternative!
What Is Bulletproof Tea?
You may have heard of Bulletproof coffee. The name is actually a brand, Bulletproof, but it’s so popular that it has been associated with the delicious coffee product they created. It’s a blend of coffee, butter, and either coconut oil or MCT oil. (Note: this is not sponsored or endorsed by the Bulletproof brand.)
But what if you’re not a coffee drinker? That’s where bulletproof tea comes in!
It’s a blend of tea, butter, and coconut oil or MCT oil. That may sound strange, but it comes out just like a keto tea latte!Disclaimer: Bulletproof may be a registered trademark. This recipe is my interpretation of a similar dish, but is not to be construed as an endorsement of the company or having been endorsed by the company. There is no affiliation between myself and the company. Trademark remains the property of its owner and is used here only to describe the product.
Why Drink Bulletproof Tea?
Bulletproof tea has a lot of the same benefits as bulletproof coffee does: energy, mental clarity, and tasting totally delicious!
You’ll get the most benefit by using MCT oil, but there are other options:
- MCT oil – My favorite for a burst of energy, improving my focus, and adding rich flavor.
- MCT oil powder – Same benefits as MCT oil, but better for a sensitive stomach. However, it can form a film on top if the tea cools completely before you drink it.
- Coconut oil – Most cost effective and easiest to find in stores.
How To Make Keto Tea
It’s super easy to make keto tea! Simply steep the tea in hot water, then blend with butter and MCT oil.
In my experience, a half tablespoon each of butter and MCT oil is plenty. But, you can use a whole tablespoon of each if you prefer.
How do you blend it? There are two ways:
- Use a blender – The way to go for the creamiest, frothiest result.
- Use a milk frother – The quick, easy, minimal cleanup method!
Whatever you do, don’t just stir it. You’ll end up with an oily mess.
Does Bulletproof Tea Break a Fast?
Strictly speaking, yes. Consuming any calories does break a fast.
But, that doesn’t mean that drinking bulletproof tea in the morning isn’t useful. On days when I skip my coffee, I still enjoy it on its own and it keeps me full for hours. I definitely recommend it for anyone that wants to start a keto diet or low carb diet.
More Keto Breakfast Ideas
Bulletproof tea makes a great breakfast on a keto diet all on its own. But if you want something more substantial, try adding these:
- Easy peel hard boiled eggs – Try my method for the best way to make boiled eggs!
- Keto low carb pancakes – A blend of 2 low carb flours creates the perfect texture.
- Strawberry avocado smoothie – Just 4 ingredients!
- Low carb blueberry muffins – The perfect accompaniment to your tea.
- Sugar-free strawberry chia jam – Spread it on your fave low carb bread and enjoy with tea.
Tools To Make Keto Tea:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Pique Tea Crystals – My favorite organic tea! The quality is amazing and it’s packed with antioxidants. They have so many great flavors, but I stick to black most of the time.
- Insulated glass mugs – These keep your tea warm for longer.
- Blender – A blender is the best method for making an extra frothy bulletproof tea! This one is powerful enough for virtually any kitchen task, but for simple keto tea, pretty much any kind will do.
- Milk frother – A great portable option on the go, or at the office.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto Bulletproof Tea Recipe
This keto bulletproof tea recipe is ready in minutes! It's rich and creamy like a latte, but also lighter than many keto drinks.
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Steep tea in hot water.
Combine tea, butter and MCT oil in a blender, and blend until creamy. Alternatively, use a milk frother in a tall mug.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 recipe
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂