Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
The best way to warm up on a chilly day? Make a batch of this low carb keto hot chocolate recipe! I’ll show you how to make sugar-free hot chocolate to enjoy right away and a shelf-stable sugar-free hot chocolate mix to store for when you need a cozy hot drink in a flash. Just like keto chocolate milk, it only takes a few simple ingredients to make a rich and creamy drink!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Classic chocolate flavor, just like regular cocoa
- Rich and creamy texture
- Uses basic fridge and keto pantry staples
- Creates a stove top drink or dry mix to store for later
- 3.7g net carbs for stove top version and 1.6g net carbs for dry mix
- Tastes better than store-bought!
Standard chocolate and box mixes rely on sugar to keep this classic drink sweet… but to keep it keto, the right sweetener that tastes delicious and dissolves is key. This recipe counts on Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend (crystallized or powdered) to create the best flavor and consistency in this keto hot cocoa recipe. Since it measures, tastes, and dissolves like sugar with no aftertaste, it makes this drink taste like conventional hot chocolate — all for 0g net carbs!
Ingredients & Substitution Notes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for sugar-free hot cocoa, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Keeps the carbs in hot chocolate low and has a sweetness just like sugar, without any gritty texture or aftertaste. You can also use powdered Besti. Both of these will dissolve easily and completely in your drink, unlike most keto sweeteners that just settle at the bottom.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – I recommended Dutch processed cocoa like this, so that it’s not bitter. You can also substitute raw cacao powder if you prefer.
- Almond Milk – Get store-bought or make homemade unsweetened almond milk. You can also use any keto milk substitute you like, but the flavor and texture may change slightly — and always look for a sugar-free variety.
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips – Adds richer flavor to your sugar-free hot chocolate. While these chips are normally sweetened with stevia or monk fruit, it’s not enough to dramatically change the flavor of this keto friendly hot chocolate if you’re sensitive to them.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Creates the iconic creamy texture in this hot beverage! For a dairy-free option, you can substitute full-fat canned coconut milk.
- Vanilla Extract – It’s optional, but use a higher-quality one if you can — you can definitely taste the difference.
These ingredients make a classic keto hot chocolate that’s just like regular hot cocoa. If you’re looking for my older recipe that was more like a thicker sipping chocolate, that’s now exclusive to the free Wholesome Yum app (on iPhone or Android).
How To Make Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate
This section shows how to make this keto hot chocolate recipe, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Combine. Add Besti, cocoa powder, almond milk, and chocolate chips to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
TIP: Want to make a smaller batch?
Simply use a smaller saucepan! You can scale down the number of servings on the recipe card below.
- Add cream. Reduce heat, add heavy cream, and stir the low carb hot chocolate until hot (do not boil).
- Finish. Remove from heat. Add vanilla (if using) and more Besti to taste (if desired). Serve the sugar-free hot chocolate recipe warm.
How To Make Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate Mix
Learn how to make keto hot chocolate from a dry mix instead — it’s just as easy! You’ll need:
- Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Heavy Cream Powder – Conventional dry milk powder has too many carbs, so this ingredient makes it more keto friendly. To keep it dairy-free instead, coconut milk powder is a good option.
- Boiling Water – Used when preparing the drink fresh.
Amounts are on the recipe card below. To make it, simply mix all dry ingredients in a mason jar or small container. (I like to use a whisk to reduce clumps.) Cover and store until ready to serve. To prepare, stir 1/2 cup mix into 1 cup (or slightly more) of hot water.
- Mexican keto hot chocolate – Add up to 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne (one of these or both for spicier flavor) to ingredients before simmering.
- Pumpkin spice hot chocolate – Add 1-2 tablespoons pumpkin puree and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice to saucepan before simmering.
- Peppermint sugar-free hot chocolate – Add 1-2 teaspoons peppermint extract to the ingredients while simmering.
The stove top version of this recipe tastes best fresh, but you can also store it in the fridge for a couple of days and reheat on the stovetop.
The sugar-free hot chocolate mix is even easier to store for later! Keep it in a mason jar or airtight container in the pantry for up to 6 months.
Keto Hot Chocolate Toppings
Making hot chocolate keto means serving it with the best low carb toppings! Try these ideas.
- Sugar-Free Whipped Cream – Make a batch and swirl or scoop on top of your mug.
- Keto Marshmallows – Cut them up into mini marshmallows and drop into your prepared hot chocolate for a fun presentation. Keep in mind that they melt quickly.
- Sugar-Free Caramel Sauce – Swirl caramel sauce in your mug or on top of your finished hot chocolate before serving.
- Keto Chocolate Syrup – Drizzle over a swirl of whipped cream, or right inside the mug.
More Warm Keto Drink Recipes
Now that you know how to make keto hot chocolate, try these warm sugar-free drinks next!
Keto Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate Recipe
Keto Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate (Mix Option!)
This sugar-free keto hot chocolate recipe is sweet, creamy, chocolaty, and takes just 5 minutes! Or make sugar-free hot chocolate mix ahead.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Stove Top Keto Hot Chocolate:
Hot Cocoa Mix:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stove Top Keto Hot Chocolate:
In a large saucepan, combine Besti, cocoa powder, almond milk, and chocolate chips (if using). (If you scale down the recipe to fewer servings, you can use a smaller saucepan.)
Bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat to low. Stir in the heavy cream. Heat until hot, but do not boil.
Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract, if using. Whisk in more sweetener to taste, if desired (Besti will dissolve easily).
Pour into mugs and enjoy!
Hot Cocoa Mix:
In a small jar, combine Besti, cocoa powder, and heavy cream powder. Shake well. If there are any lumps, break them apart with a whisk or fork.
To make hot cocoa, stir together 1/2 cup keto hot cocoa mix with about 1 cup (or slightly more) boiling water.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size for stovetop keto hot chocolate: 10 oz
Serving size for keto hot cocoa mix: 1/2 cup (makes 10 oz cocoa prepared)
Nutrition info is for stovetop hot chocolate.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂