Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
- What Is Dalgona Coffee?
- Can You Make Keto Dalgona Coffee?
- What Is The Origin Of Dalgona Coffee?
- How To Make Whipped Dalgona Coffee
- How To Drink Dalgona Coffee
- Why Dalgona Coffee Works
- Can You Make Dalgona Coffee Without Instant Coffee?
- Can You Use A Different Sweetener?
- More Keto Drink Recipes
- Tools To Make Whipped Coffee
- Keto Whipped Dalgona Coffee (TikTok Coffee)
It’s time for keto dalgona coffee! Have you heard of TikTok coffee? Or whipped coffee perhaps? This dalgona coffee recipe has taken the internet by storm and I thought that we needed our very own keto-friendly whipped dalgona coffee version.
If this is all new to you, I’ll explain it all below, but just know that if you enjoy sweet and creamy coffee, this hand beaten coffee recipe is for YOU! Now, if you’re not a fan of sweet coffee drinks, you might prefer bulletproof coffee without any sweetener added instead. I don’t usually like my coffee too sweet myself, but I had to make a keto friendly whipped coffee for you guys. Because I know from your reaction to chaffles, when there’s a food (or drink!) trend, you want to be on it… and keto all the way.
And it goes without saying, but when you make this, you’ve got to share a pic on social media. 😉 Don’t forget to tag me @wholesomeyum and use hashtag #wholesomeyum!
What Is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona coffee is a Korean frothy coffee drink that is made by whipping instant coffee, hot water, and sugar together, until it turns into fluffy coffee!
Then, the whipped dalgona coffee is served over milk, hot or cold. Many people serve it over iced milk.
Of course, with all that sugar and milk, regular dalgona coffee is not very keto friendly. (Read up on the carbs in milk here.)
Can You Make Keto Dalgona Coffee?
Yes, you can totally make keto dalgona coffee and I’m going to show you exactly how.
We’re swapping regular old sugar for my very own Besti monk fruit allulose blend. And it works perfectly! (More on why I recommend this particular sweetener below.)
What Is The Origin Of Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona coffee (which became very popular while people have been stuck at home with the recent orders) originated in South Korea and spread quickly on social media as “Tiktok coffee”.
A South Korean actor ordered the whipped coffee on a TV show and compared it to ‘dalgona’, which is a type of honeycomb toffee in Korea. Whipped dalgona coffee then spread around the world quickly!
While it became popular in South Korea, it’s actually been around for much longer. The whipped coffee recipe is basically Indian Phenti Hui coffee (beaten coffee), except that with Phenti Hui drinks, you pour the milk over the top of the whipped coffee.
How To Make Whipped Dalgona Coffee
Let’s make keto dalgona coffee, shall we?
- Combine ingedients. Combine instant coffee, Besti, and boiling water in a milk frother cup, mug, or small bowl. It won’t look like much at first…
- Use a milk frother to whip into fluffy coffee. It will take 1-2 minutes, and get thick and frothy.
TIP: You can also use a hand mixer with whisk attachment OR immersion blender, but those work best if you increase the recipe to 3-4 servings. I opted for a milk frother because it’s easy to use for just ONE serving!
It will start to froth just a bit at first…
…And will form a thicker foam when it’s done:
- Prep glass. Pour milk and cream into a 12 ounce mug or glass and stir. Scoop the creamy instant coffee over the milk.
TIP: Snap a picture now (tag me, @wholesomeyum) and then stir to combine before drinking.
How To Drink Dalgona Coffee
When your coffee whip recipe is ready to drink, snap a quick picture (you know you have to!) and then stir in the coffee foam into the milk to incorporate it.
As pretty as it looks, you don’t want to drink the foam separately – the coffee flavor is super concentrated and it’s also very sweet on its own.
Why Dalgona Coffee Works
In this coffee foam recipe, we’re essentially introducing air into the water, coffee, and sweetener mixture and whipping it to incorporate air bubbles, which form the foam.
Can You Make Dalgona Coffee Without Instant Coffee?
Yes, you can make dalgona coffee drink without instant coffee. Essentially you’ll want to make your own instant coffee out of regular coffee grounds.
If you have a coffee grinder, it’s pretty easy to grind coffee beans into a powder and use that for instant coffee!
Can You Use A Different Sweetener?
This whipped coffee recipe uses Besti monk fruit allulose blend instead of sugar. This is highly recommended to use as your sugar replacement, because it dissolves just like sugar does and has no aftertaste.
Most other popular sweeteners (Swerve, Lakanto, etc.) contain erythritol in them, which does not dissolve very well – this can leave a gritty texture in your whipped coffee, or just sweetener settled at the bottom of the glass.
If you must use another sugar-free sweetener, make sure it’s either powdered or liquid. I hope you’ll give Besti a try though – I tested this recipe with several sweeteners and it had the best result! 😉
Get Besti here – use code SWEET10 for 10% off for Wholesome Yum readers!
More Keto Drink Recipes
If you like this TikTok coffee, you might also like these other hot keto drink recipes:
- Matcha Green Tea Frappe – Creamy and cold with a hit of matcha energy.
- Bulletproof Coffee – Clean energy in a smooth and creamy drink. It’s a keto staple.
- Bulletproof Tea – The bulletproof drink with a twist of tea.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – Much better than the coffee shop version loaded with sugar!
Tools To Make Whipped Coffee
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Instant Coffee – Before I got my fancy coffee machine, this was the only coffee I drank for years. And I’m serious, it could seriously compete with the coffee shop even though it was instant. Trust me, get this instant coffee for this keto dalgona coffee recipe – you won’t regret it!
- Milk Frother – How you froth your TikTok coffee is up to you, but I think this milk frother is the easiest way to make it.
- Immersion Blender – A quicker way to make dalgona coffee foam, but only best if you’re going to make multiple servings.
- Clear Glass Mug – My favorite double-walled glass mugs, perfect for showing off your TikTok coffee!
Keto Whipped Dalgona Coffee (TikTok Coffee)
The BEST keto whipped dalgona coffee recipe, with just 4 ingredients! Whether you call it whipped coffee or TikTok coffee, you'll love this (sugar-free) sweet and creamy drink.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Combine the instant coffee, Besti, and boiling water in a milk frother cup, mug, or small bowl. Use a milk frother to whip for 1-2 minutes, until thick and frothy. (Alternatively, a hand mixer with a whisk attachment will work, but you may want to double the recipe.)
Pour the milk and cream (if using) into a 12-oz mug or glass and stir. Scoop the whipped coffee over the milk. This is when it looks pretty if you want to snap a photo, but stir vigorously to combine before drinking.
Did You Like It?
Leave a rating to help other readers (this also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site), or get the recipe sent to your inbox.
Serving size: 1 dalgona coffee (entire recipe)
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Keto Whipped Dalgona Coffee Recipe (TikTok Coffee)