This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
If you’re looking for an easy, healthy pie for spring or summer (hello, Easter and Mother’s Day!), this keto lemon meringue pie is it. You’d never know it’s low carb! The sugar-free lemon meringue pie has layers of keto lemon curd (modified to be thicker for a pie filling) and meringue (like my keto meringue cookies) for a creamy and sweet dessert that is also a show-stopper with its browned edges.
Two key ingredients help this pie taste sweet and authentic (while keeping every bite low carb): Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend and Wholesome Yum Almond Flour. This sweetener dissolves seamlessly into the filling for a grit-free mouthfeel, while the finely-ground flour makes a deliciously buttery crust. You won’t miss the original if you use these ingredients!
Is Lemon Meringue Pie Keto?
No, traditional lemon meringue pies are not keto friendly, as they are made with lots of flour and sugar! So, I made this keto lemon pie without sugar, so that we can enjoy it, too.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
- Sweet, tart, and creamy flavor
- Smooth layers
- Made with simple, natural ingredients
- Just 15 minutes prep time
- Naturally gluten-free
- 3.3g net carbs per slice
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto-friendly lemon meringue pie, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Almond Flour Pie Crust – Follow the instructions for the sweet crust. If you need a nut-free option, use coconut flour pie crust instead.
The filling in this low carb lemon meringue pie is a modified version of my keto lemon curd recipe, but made thicker to be suitable for a pie filling:
- Egg Yolks – A crucial component for lemon curd, they make it thick and creamy. Use large eggs, and save the whites for the meringue (below).
- Unflavored Gelatin Powder – Gelatin is a natural thickener.
- Hot Water – Blooms the gelatin.
- Xanthan Gum – Another component that helps thicken the filling.
- Lemons – You’ll need both lemon juice and lemon zest. However, you’ll need zest from about 3 lemons and juice from about 4-6 lemons, so you could just get 3 and supplement the remaining juice with the bottled kind for convenience if you like.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Like my sugar-free lemon curd, I only recommend Besti here because unlike other sugar alternatives (including erythritol and other brands of monk fruit sweetener), Besti dissolves completely and won’t crystallize. You can try other powdered sweeteners (check the sweeteners conversion chart), but most of them will crystallize and yield a gritty result.
- Sea Salt – Balances the sweetness.
- Butter – Adds flavor and also helps thicken. Make sure it’s unsalted.
- Keto Lemon Curd – The lemon layer of this keto meringue pie is both sweet and tart in the best way, and includes egg yolks, gelatin powder, xanthan gum, lemon juice and zest, butter, and sweetener.
- Egg whites – Save the egg whites from the lemon curd above, which utilizes the egg yolks.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – The same sweetener used in the filling above. This is my top choice for the same reasons as above.
How To Make Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
This section shows how to make lemon meringue keto pie, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Make crust. Follow the instructions for either almond flour pie crust or coconut flour pie crust. Bake the crust, and you can make the lemon curd layer in the meantime.
- Whisk egg yolks. Separate the eggs (you’ll need the yolks for the filling and the whites for the meringue.) Whisk the yolks in a small bowl and set aside.
- Bloom gelatin. In a separate bowl, whisk water, gelatin, and xanthan gum together and set aside.
- Simmer. Combine lemon juice, zest, Besti, salt, and egg yolks to a saucepan and heat to to a gentle boil.
- Add gelatin. Whisk in the gelatin mixture, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes to incorporate.
- Add butter. Add butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour and chill. Pour the lemon custard filling into crust and chill for at least 5-6 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Make meringue. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer or stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Add in Besti and continue mixing on high speed until it’s glossy and smooth.
- Top. Dollop the meringue over the lemon filling with a spoon. Smooth over the top, making swirls with back of the spoon.
- Broil. Place the keto lemon meringue pie under the broiler, until meringue is golden brown (or use a culinary torch).
- Chill. Cool completely and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Keep keto lemon meringue pie in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Freezing the pie is not recommended, as the freezing and thawing process will change meringue texture.
More Keto Pie Recipes
If you like this sugar-free lemon meringue pie recipe, you might also like these other keto pie recipes:
Tools To Make Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie
Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
Keto lemon meringue pie has layers of sweet flavor and just 3g net carbs! Learn how to make sugar-free lemon meringue pie with natural ingredients.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C).
Make the almond flour pie crust according to the instructions here. Set aside to cool completely.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks and set aside. Save the egg whites for the meringue.
In another small bowl whisk the water, gelatin, and xanthan gum. Set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, Besti Powdered, salt, and whisked egg yolks. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
Slowly whisk in the gelatin mixture. Whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
Add in the butter and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and pour the lemon filling into the cooled pie crust. Place the pie in the fridge overnight or for at least 5-6 hours.
Preheat the oven to Broil.
Place small dollops of the meringue on top of the lemon filling. Smooth over the top, making swirls with the back of a spoon.
Place the keto lemon meringue pie under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown. Alternately, to achieve perfectly browned edges, you can use a blow torch.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve cold.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/12th of entire pie
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂