Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
If you are in need of a new meal prep healthy breakfast, I have just the thing! These sausage egg muffins are packed with protein to make for a satisfying breakfast that will keep you going all morning long. They are a comforting spin on this egg muffins recipe.
What Are Sausage Egg Muffins?
These breakfast muffins with sausage and eggs are portable, protein-packed little omelets that are loaded with Italian sausage, eggs, and cheese. Unlike regular baked eggs, which keep the yolk intact, in this version the yolk and whites get whisked together before baking.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Sausage Muffin Recipe
- Savory and cheesy flavor
- Soft and pillowy eggs
- 4 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- Just 2 minutes prep time, 25 minutes total time
- Almost 14 grams protein per muffin
- Naturally healthy, low carb, keto, gluten-free, and high in protein
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for egg and sausage muffins, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Ground Italian Sausage – You can use pork sausage, turkey sausage, chicken sausage, or breakfast sausage, but make sure to use raw, ground sausage.
- Eggs – Whole, large eggs. Technically you could use egg whites as well — the ratio is 2.5 egg whites to replace each whole egg.
- Heavy Cream – I like the rich flavor and texture you get from heavy cream, but you can use any milk of choice here, such as almond milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, half and half, or regular milk.
- Cheddar Cheese – Use shredded cheese for convenience or shred your own. Feel free to swap in other cheeses, such as Pepper Jack or mozzarella.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Make Sausage Egg Muffins
This section shows how to make meal prep sausage and egg muffins, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Brown sausage. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground sausage until browned, breaking apart with a spoon or spatula.
- Mix egg mixture. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, sea salt and black pepper. Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Fill muffin cups. Line a muffin tin with parchment or silicone muffin liners (or spray with cooking spray if desired) and arrange sausage in the muffin cups. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage.
- Bake. Place the sausage muffins in the oven and bake until eggs are set. I like to garnish with a little fresh parsley.
- Store: Keep sausage egg cups in fridge for 3-5 days.
- Meal prep: Make these ahead and store in refrigerator. They are perfect for meal prep breakfasts.
- Reheat: Warm up sausage egg muffins in a 350 degrees F oven or in the microwave. Be careful not to overheat, or they’ll become dry and rubbery.
- Freeze: Store egg muffins in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months.
More Meal Prep Breakfast Recipes
If you love this easy sausage muffin recipe, you might also like some of these other easy breakfast recipes:
Tools To Make Egg Sausage Muffins
- Large Skillet – Brown the sausage in this nonstick skillet that works for everything from eggs to sausage to veggies.
- Silicone Muffin Liners – These muffin liners can be reused, and are fun and colorful and easy to pop out whatever is baked in them.
- Muffin Pan – You can’t make these breakfast egg muffins without a muffin tin.
Sausage Egg Muffins
Sausage Egg Muffins (4 Ingredients!)
Easy meal prep sausage egg muffins make a delicious and protein-packed breakfast meal, made with just 4 simple ingredients and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground sausage, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, for 8-10 minutes, until browned.
Arrange the ground sausage in the muffin cups. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, sea salt, and black pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups over the sausage.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the eggs are set.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 egg muffin
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂