This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Have you ever tried an air fryer cod recipe? If not, you’re missing out! I love my oven baked cod and grilled cod, but making cod in the air fryer is one of the easiest cod recipes of all. Since it cooks so quickly and uses basic ingredients, it’s the perfect choice for a fast weeknight healthy dinner or for those times when you just want a light and flavorful main dish.
In fact, making any protein in the air fryer is so easy that anyone can do it! Tender air fryer filet mignon, crispy air fryer chicken legs, and juicy air fryer pork chops all make fast options when you want a satisfying main dish without a lengthy prep time. The air fryer locks in moisture, making any protein juicy and flavorful.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Cod Recipe
- Lemony garlic flavor
- Tender, flaky cod fillets
- Minimal ingredients, with no flour or breadcrumbs
- Fast 10-minute cooking time
- Naturally healthy, low carb, keto, paleo, Whole30, and gluten-free
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cod in the air fryer, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Cod Fillets – I prefer wild-caught cod fish, but you can use any variety of cod. Look for fillets that are about 6 ounces each and similar in thickness, so that they cook at the same rate. I recommend thicker fillets for most cod recipes, which dry out less. You can use either regular cod fillets or cod loin in the air fryer. While both types of fish are suitable, the cod loin is generally thicker and considered to be higher quality. This air fryer cod recipe also works with other types of white fish, such as haddock, flounder, sole, or halibut.
- Lemon – You’ll need a fresh lemon (not bottled lemon juice), since we’re using the zest as well as the juice.
- Olive Oil – For brushing over the fish. You can also use a different neutral cooking oil, such as avocado oil.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Paprika – I used sweet paprika, but for a deeper flavor, try smoked paprika instead.
- Garlic Powder – This air fryer cod recipe uses garlic powder for convenience, but you can use 4 cloves of fresh minced or crushed garlic instead if you prefer.
- Cayenne Pepper – Optional, but kicks up the flavor.
- Cooking Spray – To grease the air fryer basket. You can use any kind you prefer, but I like avocado oil spray.
VARIATION: Try other spices.
Swap the seasonings here with lemon pepper seasoning, Old Bay seasoning, blackened seasoning, or Cajun seasoning.
How To Cook Cod In The Air Fryer
This section shows how to make air fryer cod no breading, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Preheat the air fryer. Pat each fish fillet dry with paper towels.
- Mix the seasonings. In a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne. Set aside.
- Mix butter and lemon. In a second bowl, stir together the olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Season the fish. Brush the cod fillets with the olive oil mixture. Sprinkle seasoning on both sides.
- Cook. Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place cod in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry until the fish is golden brown on top and flakes easily with a fork.
How Long To Cook Cod In The Air Fryer?
Air fry cod for 8-10 minutes, or until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 140-145 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
TIP: Cooking time may vary.
If you get a few pieces of fish that are different widths, the thinner pieces will be done closer to 7-8 minutes. You can remove those when done and leave the thicker pieces in a few more minutes if needed.
Can You Cook Frozen Cod In The Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen cod in the air fryer! It cooks more evenly if you thaw it first, but if you don’t have time, you can air fry frozen cod for 12-15 minutes, which is 4-5 minutes longer than fresh.
- Store: Keep leftover air fryer cod in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F. Place cod fish in the air fryer basket and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Freeze: Place cooled fillets in an airtight container or resealable bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Cod Fish
This air fryer cod recipe pairs with a variety of sides. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Asparagus – My favorite pairing for fish! You can make roasted asparagus, garlicky sauteed asparagus, crisp grilled asparagus (perfect for summer), bacon wrapped asparagus, or for a quicker recipe, try air fryer asparagus.
- Potatoes – Make oven roasted potatoes, fluffy Instant Pot baked potatoes, or a baked sweet potato. Or, choose a lighter swaps like fried radishes, easy roasted rutabaga (tastes just like potatoes), or loaded cauliflower casserole.
- Rice – White or brown rice makes an easy side, or cauliflower rice for a lighter option.
- Salads – Pair these fillets with a fresh salads like creamy cucumber salad, fruity spring mix salad, or a summery strawberry spinach salad — or choose from one of my other healthy salad recipes!
- Tartar Sauce – Don’t forget your fish dip! Use your favorite variety, or try my sugar-free tartar sauce.
- Fish Tacos – Flake the air fryer cod with a fork and stuff into your favorite tortillas with some taco slaw, avocado, and fresh cilantro.
More Air Fryer Seafood Recipes
Fish and seafood already cook so quickly… so the air fryer gets them ready lightning fast! Try these other mouthwatering ways to prepare them.
- Air Fryer – This is the one I have. It has a customizable touch screen, and my favorite part is the dishwasher-safe roomy basket!
- Basting Brush – Ensure the lemon oil mixture is evenly distributed with a basting brush. This one won’t leave bristles on your food, unlike traditional brushes.
Air Fryer Cod
Air Fryer Cod (Easy 15-Minute Dinner!)
Enjoy a light and healthy dinner with this 15-minute air fryer cod recipe, using simple ingredients like olive oil, garlic, paprika and lemon.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Pat each fish fillet dry with paper towels.
In a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne. Set aside.
In a separate small bowl, stir together olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Brush each cod fillet with the olive oil/lemon mixture (on both sides). Sprinkle seasoning on both sides and pat gently (so it sticks to the fish).
Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the cod in the air fryer basket (do not crowd the basket, cook in batches if necessary). Cook for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown on top and 140-145 degrees F (60-63 degrees C) in the center of the largest fillet.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cod fillet
- Nutrition info does not include cayenne pepper or cooking spray.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
This is one of the easiest cod recipes! It was so savory and enjoyable!
Such a simple recipe, such a fantastic flavor! Thank you so much for sharing!
First time I’ve tried making fish in my air fryer, and it turned out perfectly! I did add the cayenne, and I liked the bit of kick. 🙂