This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This bacon wrapped dates recipe with goat cheese, also called “devils on horseback”, is a classic appetizer that works for any occasion! Though this dish is British, I first tried them on a visit to Coachella Valley, where the majority of dates in the US come from. And was hooked. With tangy goat cheese and a drizzle of honey, the sweet and savory flavor in bacon wrapped stuffed dates make them one of the best healthy appetizers and party foods. They look so elegant, but are deceptively simple to make.
Why You’ll Love This Bacon Wrapped Dates Recipe
- Sweet, salty, and tangy taste
- Sweet dates with creamy cheese and crisp bacon
- Only 4 ingredients and 4 steps
- 10 minutes prep time
- Easy to make ahead and bake as needed!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Medjool Dates – These ones are easiest to find and keep their shape during baking, but deglet noor dates also work for this recipe. You can get either variety pitted to save time.
- Bacon – I used regular bacon, but turkey bacon also works. Thinner pieces will lower the cook time. Slice each piece of bacon in half crosswise.
- Goat Cheese – Tart, creamy goat cheese complements the rich flavor of these dates. I used the creamy kind, but crumbled also works, since it will melt either way. You can use other cheeses as well — see more ideas in the Variations section below!
- Honey – A light drizzle of honey seals the flavors of each date. This recipe also works with a sugar-free honey substitute.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Dates With Goat Cheese
This section shows how to make bacon wrapped stuffed dates, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Using a small paring knife, cut a slit in each date to make an opening like a book.
- Fill. With a small spoon, scoop a little cheese into each date and fold closed.
- Wrap. Wind one halved strip of bacon around the date and secure with a toothpick. Place in a 9×13 baking dish or onto a baking sheet.
- Cook. Bake bacon wrapped dates, until the bacon is slightly crispy and dates are softened.
- Finish. Drizzle honey over the dates. Bake again until thebacon is crispy and caramelized.
- Change the wrap – Instead of bacon, use pancetta or prosciutto.
- Try a different cheese – Feta, blue cheese crumbles, or cream cheese mixed with homemade Italian seasoning would taste delicious in lieu of goat cheese.
- Spicy bacon wrapped stuffed dates – Mix sriracha with honey to taste for a zippy flavor in every bite.
- Maple glazed bacon wrapped dates – Use your favorite maple syrup instead of honey (I like using sugar-free maple syrup here, too!)
- Switch up the stuffings – Mix sun dried tomatoes, nuts (try almonds or pecans), or finely chopped cranberries (fresh or dried cranberries) into the cheese before stuffing.
- Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Meal prep: Assemble dates and store up to 2 days and in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Reheat: Warm dates in the microwave, but put them under the broiler to crisp up the bacon.
Can You Freeze Bacon Wrapped Dates?
Yes, you can freeze dates wrapped in bacon — both cooked and uncooked! For unbaked ones, assemble and freeze on a sheet pan before storing in a zippered bag. For cooked dates, use the same process but remove toothpicks used to hold them together. Store in the freezer up to 2 months.
More Bacon Wrapped Recipes
If you liked this recipe and wrapping food in bacon is your new favorite thing, you’ll love these quick and easy bacon wrapped recipes:
Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese
Bacon Wrapped Dates With Goat Cheese
Bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese make a classic appetizer! Just 4 Ingredients to make this EASY bacon wrapped stuffed dates recipe.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Slice the dates lengthwise, but not all the way through. They should open like a clamshell. Remove the pits at this stage if your dates are not already pitted.
Use a spoon to stuff the dates with goat cheese.
Wrap each date with a half slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place in the baking dish, in a single layer. Don’t crowd the dish too much.
Bake bacon wrapped dates in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove the baking dish and drizzle the honey over the dates. Put the baking dish back and bake for about 10 more minutes, or until the bacon is crispy to your liking.
Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 bacon wrapped dates
Nutrition info uses Wholesome Yum Sugar-Free Honey Substitute, and will be different if you use regular.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂