FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Is Hasselback Chicken?
- What Is Jalapeno Popper Chicken Breast?
- How To Make Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- How Long To Cook Hasselback Chicken?
- Can You Make Low Carb Jalapeno Popper Chicken Ahead?
- Can You Freeze Hasselback Chicken Recipes?
- What To Serve With Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Tools To Make Jalapeno Hasselback Chicken
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken Recipe
You might be wondering… what is keto jalapeno popper chicken? I’m so glad you asked! No more boring chicken dinners, this baked jalapeno popper hasselback chicken recipe is packed with flavor and a fun way to switch up chicken breast meals! Everyone will enjoy this naturally low carb jalapeno popper chicken breast, whether they are keto or not. Layers of creamy cheese, bacon, and sliced jalapenos… what’s not to love?
What Is Hasselback Chicken?
Hasselback chicken breast is a fun twist on stuffed chicken! Hasselback is a cooking method for chicken, though it’s also often used for vegetables, such as potatoes, as well.
To make it, we cut slits into the chicken, but not all the way through, and stuff some kind of filling inside the slices before baking. In this case, we stuff the chicken with bacon and cheese – you’ll love it!
What Is Jalapeno Popper Chicken Breast?
This jalapeno popper chicken breast recipe is hasselback chicken with jalapeno popper filling stuffed inside the slits. It’s incredibly flavorful AND easy to make! Just like jalapeno poppers, turned into a chicken dinner.
How To Make Jalapeno Popper Chicken
This cheddar jalapeno chicken recipe takes just 15 minutes to prep! Here’s how to make hasselback chicken with cheese, bacon and jalapeno pepper filling:
- Prep chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cut 6 slits in the top of each chicken breast in the short direction. Cut down, but not all the way to the bottom.
- Make jalapeno cream cheese chicken stuffing. In a medium bowl, mash together the cream cheese and shredded cheddar. Stuff the cheese mixture into the slits.
- Add bacon and jalapenos. Stuff cooked bacon and jalapeno slices into the slits.
TIP: My favorite method for cooking bacon for this recipe is bacon in the oven! But you can use the stove top, too, if you prefer. Just make sure it’s cooked, otherwise it will be floppy if you put it in raw.
TIP: As written, this chicken is pretty mild with 1 jalapeno slice per slit. Even my young kids ate it. If you like more heat, you can use 2 or 3 jalapenos instead of just one, and place more jalapeno slices into each slit before baking.
- Bake. Cook until it reaches 165 degrees F and let it rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
How Long To Cook Hasselback Chicken?
The jalapeno popper hasselback chicken recipe takes about 25 minutes in the oven, but I do recommend using a meat thermometer so that it’s baked to perfection!
TIP: Cook time will depend on how large your casserole dish is. If your chicken breasts are touching, it may take an extra 5-10 minutes compared to if they are not. The 25-minute time in my oven was in the dish pictured here, with the chicken pieces touching each other.
Can You Make Low Carb Jalapeno Popper Chicken Ahead?
Yes, you can prep low carb jalapeno popper chicken ahead of time. Here are a few ways to prep ahead – you can do any (or all) of these steps in advance:
- Cook bacon in the oven.
- Make jalapeno popper stuffed chicken filling.
- Cut slits into chicken.
- Stuff the stuffing inside the chicken slits.
Store the chicken in the fridge and bake when ready.
Can You Freeze Hasselback Chicken Recipes?
Yes, you can freeze these jalapeno popper chicken breasts! You can do so before or after baking. Either way, they’ll last 2-3 months in the freezer.
When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge and bake. Baking time will be the same as the recipe after thawing if you froze raw, or just about 10-15 minutes if you are just reheating.
What To Serve With Jalapeno Popper Chicken
This jalapeno cream cheese stuffed chicken is a filling meal, so it just needs a veggie side! Here are a few low carb keto vegetable side dishes to try with it:
- Roasted Broccolini – Simple, easy, and can be cooked alongside the jalapeno hasselback chicken.
- Keto Roasted Vegetables – This veggie side goes with just about any meal, and the leftovers are great for lunches!
- Sauteed Broccoli – Another simple green side that pairs with just about anything.
- Cauliflower Rice – An obvious side choice for jalapeno popper hasselback chicken, you can’t go wrong with cauliflower rice.
Tools To Make Jalapeno Hasselback Chicken
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Stoneware Baking Dish – This baking dish is great quality and nice enough to take low carb jalapeno popper chicken right from the oven to the table.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – The best way to tell if your hasselback chicken recipe is cooked through is to use a meat thermometer. This is my favorite one as it reads super quickly.
Keto Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken Recipe
Bring big flavor to dinner with 5-INGREDIENT keto jalapeno popper chicken breast! It's an easy baked jalapeno popper hasselback chicken recipe with layers of bacon, cheddar, cream cheese, and jalapenos.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in a stoneware dish. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Cut 6 slits in the top of each chicken breast in the short direction, about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) apart, cutting about 3/4 of the way down but not all the way through to the bottom.
In a medium bowl, mash together the cream cheese and shredded cheddar. Stuff the cheese mixture into the slits.
Stack the cooked bacon slices and make 2 cuts to cut each slice into 3 pieces, which would be approximately the width of the chicken breasts. (If you don’t have any cooked, you can cook bacon in the oven like this while you prep the chicken.) Stuff the bacon slices into each slit, 6 small pieces per chicken breast.
Stuff the jalapeno slices into each slit, 6 slices per chicken breast.
Bake for about 25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches at least 160 degrees F (71 degrees C). Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving - internal temperature will continue to rise. Use a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) before serving.
Sprinkle with fresh chives right before serving, if desired.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 hasselback chicken breast
Video Showing How To Make Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂