This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Two perfect foods come together with this bacon wrapped asparagus recipe in the oven! If you love bacon-y main dishes like bacon wrapped dates or bacon wrapped chicken tenders, you’ll enjoy asparagus wrapped in bacon as a healthy appetizer too. I’ll show you how to make wrapped asparagus in bacon that gets perfectly crispy every time, plus the best way to make it ahead of time for entertaining.
With other bacon asparagus recipes, I’ve noticed that often times the asparagus is soft before the bacon has had the chance to crisp up. I was on a mission to avoid this, and discovered that the trick is similar to my foolproof crispy bacon in the oven. Although roasted asparagus tastes great on its own, properly cooked bacon takes the flavor to the next level.
Why You’ll Love This Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for asparagus wrapped in bacon, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Asparagus – Look for smooth, firm, and brightly colored fresh asparagus spears. Medium to thick spears work best for bacon wrapped asparagus, as they are less prone to overcooking by the time the bacon is done.
- Bacon – Center cut bacon works the best for appearance, but any bacon will work. Avoid thick cut bacon, which will take too long to get crispy, causing the asparagus to be limp and soggy.
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil for flavor, but use your favorite cooking oil. You just need enough for seasonings to stick.
- Seasonings – Garlic salt and black pepper. If you don’t have garlic salt, you can easily substitute garlic powder and salt separately.
VARIATION: Want to add extra flavor?
Try these extra options to enhance this asparagus and bacon appetizer:
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus In The Oven
This section shows how to cook bacon wrapped asparagus in the oven, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Trim woody ends of asparagus. Cut bacon lengthwise into narrower strips.
- Season. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil. Season with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Wrap. Wrap the bacon tightly around asparagus stalk. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet with a wire rack.
VARIATION: Make asparagus bundles!
I prefer individually wrapped asparagus because they are easier to eat as an appetizer and you get more bacon in every bite. But if you prefer, you can wrap 4-6 spears at a time in a slice of bacon. (When wrapping each bundle, follow the same tips below.) The cook time will be about the same.
- Bake. Bake asparagus bacon recipe, flipping halfway though, until bacon is nearly crispy.
- Broil. Until bacon is fully crisped.
How Long To Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
How long to bake bacon wrapped asparagus will depend on several factors, including bacon thickness, color of your pan and rack, and oven temperature. On average, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees F, plus another couple minutes under the broiler to crisp up the bacon (highly recommended!).
Tips For The Best Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Go light on the salt and oil. The bacon is already salty and has plenty of fat, so we only need enough oil for the seasonings to stick and just a bit of garlic salt.
- Avoid overlapping bacon too much. You want the edges of the bacon strip to overlap as little as possible. The bacon will shrink during cooking, creating a pinstripe pattern. This will help create more air flow around it, which is what you want for extra crispiness.
- Use a wire rack. Instead of a regular baking sheet, use a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet. (I like this one – it’s non-stick, so easy to clean.) Again, it helps with that whole air flow thing. As a bonus, this lets some of the extra fat drip down from the bacon during baking, making it more crispy. (I do the same for the crispiest oven baked bacon on its own.)
- Broil, but monitor closely. This step is important for the bacon to get crisp. Just keep an eye on it because the bacon can go from crisp to burned fast!
Alternate Cooking Methods
- Grill – Preheat the grill over medium-high heat, then cook over direct heat (covered) for a total of 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the bacon is crispy.
- Air Fryer – Follow the bacon wrapped asparagus recipe above as written, but instead of the oven, cook in the air fryer. Arrange the pieces in the basket in a single layer and cook for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees F, flipping halfway through.
- Stovetop – I don’t like this method because it’s more fuss, but asparagus wrapped in bacon can be cooked on the stove. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus in a single layer and cook, turning occasionally, until the bacon is crispy.
- Store: Although this recipe tastes best fresh (and you probably won’t have leftovers!), you can store this dish in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Meal prep: Assemble asparagus, cover, and refrigerate for up to 1-2 days, until ready to bake. Avoid baking them ahead of time, as they can get soggy.
- Reheat: Broil until crisp and heated through.
- Freeze: Avoid freezing this recipe, as it will get mushy.
More Easy Asparagus Recipes
So many delicious ways to prep this veggie! Try it in these easy recipes next time.
Easy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe in the Oven
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (Super Crispy!)
This bacon wrapped asparagus recipe in the oven includes tips to make it extra CRISPY. Asparagus wrapped in bacon takes less than 30 minutes!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Place an oven-safe wire rack (either greased or non-stick) onto a cookie sheet.
Trim the woody ends of the asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper to taste. (You don't need a lot of oil, just enough for the salt and pepper to stick.)
Cut the bacon slices lengthwise to make narrower strips. Wrap each bacon strip tightly around an asparagus stalk, only slightly overlapping the bacon on each stalk (it will shrink during cooking, creating a "striped" pattern). Place seam side down onto the wire rack.
Bake for 10 minutes. Use tongs to turn over. Bake for 5-10 minutes more, until the bacon is almost crispy. Set the oven to broil, then place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to crisp up more.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 4 pieces
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂