FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Cauliflower fried rice is the recipe to convert anyone who isn’t quite sure about cauliflower rice. I get it, I wasn’t a huge rice fan so cauliflower rice didn’t appeal to me right away, but I have learned that when you season it and cook it properly, it’s the perfect keto vegetable-based “carb.”
Like this keto fried rice. It tastes just like the real thing… but it’s loaded with good-for-you vegetables and traditional fried rice seasonings. You have a few options for the cauliflower rice in this low carb fried rice recipe. You can make it yourself (learn how to make cauliflower rice here) or you can buy it already riced. Store-bought cauliflower rice is convenient, but be sure to read my tips on buying it below.
Once you start incorporating cauliflower rice into your meals, you’ll see how versatile it is. It takes on the flavor of just about anything, so you can turn it into cheesy cauliflower rice, keto chicken stir fry, or even cauliflower tabbouleh!
This cauliflower fried rice recipe was originally published on January 27, 2018, and the post was republished in February 2021 to add updated pictures, useful tips, and some improvements to fried rice made out of cauliflower. Here is one of the original photos, if you’re curious:
How To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
Let’s make some low carb cauliflower fried rice!
- Rice cauliflower. Learn how to make cauliflower rice here.
- Cook eggs. Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Push veggies in the saute pan to the side and pour eggs on the other side of the pan. Cook until barely scrambled.
- Stir fry. Push the veggies and eggs to side of the pan and add remaining butter to pan. When it melts, add cauliflower and stir everything together. Stir fry until cauliflower is soft, but not mushy.
Tips For The Best Cauliflower Fried Rice
Here are some tips about the cauliflower rice stir fry process (and how to avoid that smell!):
- Make sure the heat is high enough. You want medium-high to high heat.
- Don’t cover the pan. This causes the cauliflower to steam and worsens the smell.
- Don’t overcook the cauliflower rice. It will get mushy, and it will smell, too.
Once the cauliflower has the texture you want, turn off the heat. Stir in the coconut aminos, sesame oil, and green onions.
Adding the aminos last prevents it from absorbing too much into the cauliflower and making it too mushy. The sesame oil also has to be added after cooking, because it has a very low smoke point.
Low Carb Fried Rice FAQs
Is fried rice low carb?
No, traditional fried rice is not low carb. An average vegetable fried rice has more than 30 grams carbohydrates.
This version utilizes cauliflower rice instead of white rice to make it low carb.
Is cauliflower fried rice keto?
Not all cauliflower fried rice recipes are keto. It depends on fried rice additions, sauces, and serving sizes.
This recipe is keto, with just 6 grams net carbs per serving.
Is cauliflower fried rice healthy?
Yes! This cauliflower fried rice is packed with vegetables and a slew of vitamins and minerals.
How many calories in cauliflower rice stir fry?
The amount of carbs and calories in cauliflower fried rice will vary a bit, but this keto fried rice recipe has only 127 calories and 6 grams net carbs per cup.
Where to buy cauliflower rice?
If you don’t want to make your own cauliflower rice, you can buy it! Most stores carry cauliflower rice in 2 forms:
- Fresh cauliflower rice – Found in the refrigerated vegetable section. Look for bright white, crisp pieces; avoid any that are browned or mushy.
- Frozen cauliflower rice – Found in the frozen vegetable section. Different brands cut it a bit differently, so you can try them out to see which you like best.
You can use either kind in this recipe, but I much prefer either grating it myself or buying frozen. Fresh just goes bad too quickly, usually within a day or two.
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can make fried rice a few days ahead. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze cauliflower fried rice?
Yes, you can freeze this cauliflower fried rice recipe for 2-3 months.
How to reheat keto fried rice:
Reheat the fried rice in a hot skillet or in the microwave.
More Cauliflower Rice Recipes
Everyone loves cauliflower rice recipes! You can find all of low carb cauliflower recipes here, or check out a few of these favorites:
- Keto Cheeseburger Casserole – All the cheeseburger flavors you love, none of the carbs.
- Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice – This cauliflower fried rice keto recipe includes a protein boost of chicken.
- Keto Cauliflower Hash Browns – Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Made with just 6 ingredients.
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust – Unlike some soggy cauliflower pizza crusts, you can actually pick this one up! Made with just 3 ingredients.
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh – Super fresh tasting and made in just 15 minutes.
Tools To Make Cauli Fried Rice:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Box Grater – With 4 different sizes, this handy grater will be in and out of your cabinet all the time. The large grate is perfect for making this cauliflower fried rice recipe.
- Cut Resistant Gloves – Get these if you plan to use a box grater. That way, you can get super close to the grater and not worry about nicking your fingers.
- Food Processor – This appliance is a workhorse! It will take all of the heavy lifting out of shredding, chopping, slicing, and mixing doughs. A food processor will grate cauliflower rice in seconds!
- Sauté Pan – Perfect for almost any stove top or oven application, a sturdy sauté pan is great for one pan dinners.
- Coconut Aminos – A clean substitute for soy sauce, this ingredient is both soy and wheat free.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
This reader favorite recipe is included in The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook! Order your copy to get 100 easy keto recipes in a beautiful print hardcover book, including 80 exclusive recipes not found anywhere else (not even this blog!), my complete fathead dough guide, the primer for starting keto, and much more.
Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
A delicious, easy cauliflower fried rice recipe - all the same flavors, much fewer carbs. Make low carb keto fried rice in just 20 minutes, with simple ingredients.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Saute the veggies: In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat a tablespoon of butter. Add the garlic, onions, and red peppers. Saute for about 8-10 minutes, until the onions are translucent and just starting to brown.
Cook the eggs: Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with 1/2 tsp (2 g) sea salt and a pinch of black pepper. When the onion is done enough, push the veggies to one side of the skillet. (If the pan is dry, you can melt in more butter.) Add the whisked eggs to the other side and cook for a few minutes, until barely scrambled.
Stir fry the cauliflower: Push everything to the side again and add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan. Once it melts, increase heat to medium-high, immediately add the cauliflower, and stir everything together to coat. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Stir fry for about 5 minutes, until the cauliflower is soft, but not mushy.
Finishing flavors: Remove from heat. Stir in the coconut aminos, sesame oil, and chopped green onions.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Cauliflower Rice:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Cauliflower Rice!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂