Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
Keto teriyaki chicken is the ultimate answer to low carb takeout cravings! But you don’t have to be keto to enjoy this healthy teriyaki chicken and cauliflower rice recipe — it uses real food ingredients to create authentic and satisfying flavors, and avoids the sugar and starches found in many Asian chicken dishes. The star is my sugar-free teriyaki sauce and you are going to love it! Once you master this classic dish, try almond chicken next. And, if you don’t need low carb, try my teriyaki chicken bowls instead.
Forget about conventional sweet and sticky teriyaki sauces made with sugar, thickeners, or honey. Instead, we’re using two delicious upgrades to capture their flavor and texture: Wholesome Yum Keto Honey and Besti Brown Monk Fruit Allulose Blend. These two key ingredients blend together to create the best thick and rich sauce for a healthy teriyaki chicken meal, without all that sugar.
What Is Teriyaki Chicken?
Although “teriyaki” originally refers to a cooking method where meat gets marinated and cooked over hot coals, most versions of teriyaki chicken today combine grilled poultry with a sweet and sticky Asian-style sauce made with sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
Is Teriyaki Chicken Healthy?
If you’re watching your starch intake or want to avoid added sugar, teriyaki chicken is not the healthiest meal choice. At restaurants, the sauce will almost always contain added sugar, cornstarch, and soy sauce (see why I don’t recommend soy sauce and the best soy sauce substitutes). However, it’s easy to make your own healthy teriyaki chicken that keeps all the flavor without these hidden ingredients. This cauliflower rice recipe with chicken is proof!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Sweet, salty flavors
- Tender meat with fluffy rice
- Loaded with satisfying protein, veggies, and mouthwatering sauce
- Free from gluten, hidden sugar, and starches
- Made in one pan
- On the table faster than takeout
- Easy healthy dinner, even if you’re not keto
Teriyaki Chicken And Cauliflower Rice Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto chicken teriyaki, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Keto Teriyaki Sauce – This sugar-free teriyaki sauce recipe is so thick and rich, without the high carbs from thickeners like cornstarch or gummy texture of xanthan gum… all thanks to Wholesome Yum Keto Honey and Besti Brown Sugar substitute! While you can use other cornstarch substitutes to thicken, you won’t get that honey flavor and the texture is really best using the keto honey. For the brown sugar sub, avoid using sweeteners made with erythritol here (this includes most other brands of monk fruit and stevia), as they will not dissolve and the sauce will not be smooth.
- Cauliflower Rice – Make homemade cauliflower rice in minutes as the base for this saucy chicken and riced cauliflower. You can rice cauliflower florets from a whole head yourself, or buy frozen riced cauliflower to save time.
- Sauteed Broccoli – This sauteed broccoli adds classic veggie flavors to this healthy chicken teriyaki bowl, but you can also use any of your favorite stir fry vegetables.
- Chicken Thighs – Get a boneless, skinless variety. You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts if you prefer, too.
- Garnishes – Sesame seeds and green onions make a delicious finish here, but they’re totally optional.
How To Make Healthy Teriyaki Chicken
This section shows how to make teriyaki keto chicken and riced cauliflower with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Make sauce. Whisk ingredients together for low carb teriyaki sauce (do not cook). Set aside.
- Cook cauliflower. Cook cauliflower rice and set aside. (You can cook this recipe in a large skillet or in a wok. Either way, we’ll be using the same pan for all the components.)
- Cook broccoli. Wipe down the pan, prepare sauteed broccoli, and set aside as well. Cover both to keep warm.
- Cook chicken. Heat oil in a pan and add chicken pieces in a single layer. Stir occasionally until browned and cooked through.
- Add sauce. Pour low carb teriyaki chicken sauce into the pan and simmer until sauce is thickened and glossy.
- Plate. Top cauliflower rice with meat to build your healthy chicken teriyaki bowl, and serve broccoli on the side.
Although this dish creates a cauliflower rice recipe with chicken, you don’t have to stop there — it’s easy to switch in different ingredients to your taste.
- Change meats – Instead of chicken, cook meats like grilled salmon, shrimp skewers, or steak bites. Prepare teriyaki sauce according to the original recipe and brush onto meats before serving.
- Swap veggies – I used simple broccoli for my veggie side, but you can also make a mixed vegetable stir fry or use virtually any low carb veggies you have on hand.
- Use noodles – Instead of cauliflower rice, make zucchini noodles, shirataki noodles, or even kelp noodles.
- Swap flavors – If you want to change it up from teriyaki, try this chicken stir fry with cauliflower rice.
- Store: Keep all components separately in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Meal prep: Cook meat, veggies, and sauce separately and assemble when ready to serve.
- Reheat: Reheat in a microwave or hot skillet until warmed through (if frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge first).
- Freeze: I wouldn’t recommend freezing the assembled recipe, but you can freeze the cooked vegetables and meat for 3-4 months.
More Keto Bowl Recipes
Love meals all in a bowl? Try these mouthwatering dishes!
Healthy Teriyaki Chicken And Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Keto Teriyaki Chicken And Cauliflower Rice (One Pan!)
This keto teriyaki chicken and cauliflower rice is easy, healthy, and made in one pan! It features tender chicken, sweet sticky sauce, fluffy cauliflower rice, and perfectly crisp-tender broccoli.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Chicken & Garnishes:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for keto teriyaki sauce (except sesame oil), but don’t cook them. Set aside.
In a large skillet, cook cauliflower rice like this. Remove from the pan, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
Wipe down the same skillet and saute broccoli like this. Remove from the pan, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
In the same skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally but not constantly, until browned and just barely cooked through.
Add the keto teriyaki sauce and toss to coat the chicken. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and glossy. Add sesame oil, if using.
Serve keto teriyaki chicken over cauliflower rice with broccoli on the side.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 cup cauliflower rice, 3/4 cup broccoli, and 2/3 cup chicken with sauce
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂