Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
When dinner needs to be easy… this keto chicken cauliflower casserole recipe will deliver! This is one of those meals that came together when I just had random ingredients in my fridge and threw them together. And it was so good, I had to share it. Bonus: this pesto chicken and cauliflower casserole happens to be full of healthy ingredients, like fresh veggies, pesto, and cheese. Use any store-bought pesto you like, or make homemade pesto sauce – it’s up to you.
My favorite part about this cheesy chicken cauliflower bake is that it’s a hearty, one-pan keto meal without rice or potatoes. Delicious and minimal clean-up? It’s everything you want a keto casserole to be!
This easy pesto chicken casserole recipe was originally published on March 15, 2017 and republished in October 2020 to include helpful tips, FAQs, and step-by-step pictures. Here’s an old picture:
How To Make Chicken Cauliflower Casserole
This easy chicken cauliflower casserole takes just a few simple steps to prep:
- Roast cauliflower. Toss the cauliflower with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and black pepper. Roast, stirring halfway through, until crisp-tender.
- Make chicken layer. Mix the shredded chicken and half of the shredded mozzarella cheese into the pan with the cauliflower.
- Make pesto cream sauce. Stir together the basil pesto and cream…
Pour evenly over the casserole, and mix until everything is coated evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake keto chicken cauliflower casserole. It’s ready when the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil.
Keto Chicken Cauliflower Casserole FAQs
Is chicken cauliflower casserole keto?
Yes, this creamy chicken and cauliflower casserole is keto friendly. (And if you’re a fan of cauliflower, be sure to browse my other keto cauliflower recipes.) Each filling serving has just 7.1 grams net carbs.
But, even if you’re not keto or have family members who aren’t, everyone will enjoy this pesto cauliflower casserole – it’s just simply delicious.
What is the fastest way to make this on a weeknight?
The fastest way is to use shredded rotisserie chicken and pre-made pesto sauce. Then, all you have to do is roast the cauliflower, assemble, and finish quickly in the oven.
See the storage instructions below, as well, for ideas for prepping ahead.
Can you use canned chicken or pre-cooked chicken?
Sure! I usually prefer to make my own shredded chicken or use rotisserie from the store, but canned will work great, too.
Can you use frozen cauliflower?
Yes! You can roast it right from frozen.
Chicken And Cauliflower Casserole Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, this low carb chicken and cauliflower casserole stores very well, so you can definitely make it ahead. You could also prep a few components, so that all you need to do is assemble and bake when you’re ready to make it.
- Cook chicken – I like to make shredded chicken in my Instant Pot.
- Roast cauliflower.
- Mix pesto cream sauce.
How to store keto cauliflower and chicken casserole
Store this chicken breast cauliflower casserole in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze loaded chicken cauliflower casserole?
Yes, you can also freeze this casserole. Store in a freezer-safe container for 2-3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
You can also easily make an extra batch to have on hand for quick dinners. Line your pan with foil and leaving plenty around the sides, then freeze the casserole in the pan with the foil. Once it’s solid, lift it out using the foil edges, wrap on all sides with more foil, and vacuum seal. (I like this vacuum sealer). Since this method retains the shape of the pan, it will fit right back into it in its frozen state. Then just uncover and reheat in the oven.
How to reheat creamy pesto chicken casserole
Reheat the keto chicken cauliflower casserole in the microwave or a 350 degree F oven until heated through.
More Keto Casserole Recipes
If you like this healthy pesto chicken casserole, you might also like some of these other low carb keto casserole recipes:
- Chicken Divan – A chicken, broccoli, and cheese casserole smothered in a creamy sauce.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – Like the classic dish, but in casserole form!
- Keto Mexican Casserole – A family favorite, everyone loves this one! Made with simple ingredients and topped with your favorite taco toppings.
- Healthy Eggplant Parmesan – Cheese + veggies, what’s not to love?! This healthy eggplant parm is made with simple ingredients.
- Keto Philly Cheesesteak – This easy casserole takes less than 30 minutes and has all the flavors of cheesesteaks.
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole – Just 6 ingredients to make this healthy, comforting meal.
Tools To Make Chicken And Cauliflower Casserole
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- 9×13 Baking Dish with Cover – This casserole dish can be used for baking, storage, and taking on-the-go.
Pesto Chicken Casserole
Pesto Chicken Bake with Cauliflower (Low Carb, Gluten-free)
This keto chicken cauliflower casserole with pesto needs just 6 common ingredients and 10 minutes prep time, and it's loaded with veggies, protein, and cheese.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 in (23x33 cm) casserole dish. (You can line with foil or parchment paper if desired. I used a stoneware dish so it wasn't necessary.)
Toss the cauliflower with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and black pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until crisp-tender.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Mix the shredded chicken and half of the shredded mozzarella into the pan with the cauliflower.
- Stir together the basil pesto and cream. Pour evenly over the casserole, and mix until everything is coated evenly. Sprinkle remaining shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Return the casserole to the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil ribbons if desired.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
You can also use cubed cooked chicken instead of shredded, if you prefer.
Serving size: 2 cups
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂