Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
Most people might not think about making egg casserole without bread or potatoes, but you won’t even miss them when you make this healthy low carb keto breakfast casserole recipe. It’s a delicious way to start your day on a good note… and an easy one. With super simple ingredients and some spices, it comes together quickly. I hope this sausage, egg, and cheese casserole will become a staple at your house like it is in mine.
This keto egg casserole recipe is perfect for those mornings when you want something warm and filling. For a special holiday brunch, serve it alongside keto butter coffee and keto cinnamon rolls or keto pancakes (or waffles). If you want to try something more portable for busy mornings, egg muffins are a similar option in a portioned package.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Savory, cheesy taste
- Moist and fluffy texture
- Quick prep time
- 3.2g net carbs (or 0.9g if you omit the broccoli)
- Naturally healthy, low carb, keto-friendly, and gluten-free
- Endless customization options
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto egg casserole, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Meat – I used breakfast sausage to make this a sausage, egg and cheese casserole, but cooked bacon and ham are both viable options. You’ll need to pre-cook your meat, whichever meat you choose.
- Garlic – I recommend mincing fresh garlic as it will have a sweeter and more potent flavor. If you don’t have any, you can substitute 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder and add it when whisking the eggs instead of sauteing.
- Veggies – Vegetables are 100% optional, but I’m a huge fan of including veggies whenever possible. I used broccoli, but you could use bell peppers (roasted red bell peppers are delicious!), asparagus, onions, spinach, celery, or any keto veggie you prefer. You can even use leftover roasted broccoli and cauliflower here.
- Eggs – Eggs are the star of the show here. Room temperature eggs work best if you want a fluffier casserole.
- Heavy Cream – Scrambling the eggs and whipping cream together makes light and airy eggs that are also rich and savory, but any keto milk will work. If your low carb breakfast casserole needs to fit paleo standards, simple use coconut cream instead (and skip the cheese).
- Cheese – This recipe calls for shredded cheddar cheese, but whichever cheese suits your fancy (or whichever one you already have in your fridge) will work just fine. This low carb breakfast casserole would be good with mozzarella, American, Swiss, Monterey jack or any other cheese you’ve got on hand.
- Fresh Parsley – Adds fresh flavor. You could also use oregano or basil if you prefer, or a teaspoon of Italian seasoning instead. Stronger herbs will give the casserole a stronger flavor.
- Salt & Pepper – A must for seasoning eggs.
See below for the formula I use for all keto breakfast casserole recipes, whether you want a sausage, egg and cheese casserole or another flavor combination.
How To Make Keto Breakfast Casserole
This section shows how to make low carb breakfast casserole, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Saute garlic. In a greased large skillet over medium-high heat, cook minced garlic until fragrant.
- Brown meat. Add the sausage. Cook, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned. Meanwhile, preheat the oven.
- Cook veggies. If using broccoli (or other veggies), blanch in boiling water until crisp tender. Plunge them into an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain and pat dry.(You can also roast or cook the veggies any other way you like.)
- Whisk egg base. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, cheddar cheese, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Assemble. Grease a glass or ceramic casserole dish. Arrange the cooked sausage and veggies evenly at the bottom. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and vegetables. Sprinkle more shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake. Cook keto sausage and egg casserole until eggs are set and cheese is melted.
Formula For The Best Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
No matter what kind of meat, veggies, cheese, or milk you like to use (see ideas above!), follow this easy ingredient formula for the best keto egg casserole:
- 1 pound cooked meat
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 cups cooked veggies
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs
- 1/4 teaspoons each salt & pepper
- Store: Cover the keto sausage breakfast casserole tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make ahead: If you want to make this low carb breakfast casserole ahead of time, simply follow all the steps except the baking at the end. You can cover it and store it in the fridge. Then, take it out and let it come to room temperature before baking.
- Reheat: Warm leftovers in the microwave or in the oven. I highly recommend the oven to get the best texture and avoid a watery result. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes (whole casserole) or 5-10 minutes per slice.
How To Freeze Sausage, Egg And Cheese Casserole:
It’s super easy to turn keto breakfast casserole into a freezer meal. You can freeze it for up to 3 months. Bake it and then freeze it, or just assemble and freeze without baking:
- Before baking: Follow all instructions on the recipe card below, except the last step. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil on top of that, and place it in the freezer. When you are ready to bake, move it to the fridge and let it thaw overnight. Let the breakfast casserole come to room temperature, then bake as directed on the recipe card.
- After baking: Place the sausage egg cheese casserole on a cooling rack and let it cool completely to room temperature. After that, cover it with plastic followed by foil, and place in the freezer. If you want individual pieces, cut those first and wrap them separately. To thaw, place it in the fridge overnight.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Whether you have an early breakfast or a late brunch, there’s more to eat for breakfast than this keto egg bake. Check out some of my other favorite keto breakfast recipes below, but don’t miss my other keto casseroles for other meals.
- Skillet – The perfect sized pan for browning your breakfast sausage can be found at Amazon or Target.
- Set of Bowls – These bowls on Amazon are my favorite ones to use, but you can also get them at Target. I love that you get so many different sizes in this set. It includes a large bowl for using in this recipe.
- Casserole Dish – A classic ceramic casserole baking dish looks beautiful on any table. Get the one I have (pictured above) at Amazon or Target.
Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Low Carb Keto Breakfast Casserole (Easy!)
Make the best low carb keto breakfast casserole recipe with sausage, egg, and cheese. This egg casserole is quick to prep, easy, and cheesy!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In an oiled skillet over medium-high heat, cook the minced garlic for about one minute, until fragrant.
Add the breakfast sausage. Cook for about 10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
If using broccoli (or other veggies), blanch them in boiling water for about 5-7 minutes, until crisp tender. Then plunge into an ice bath to stop cooking, drain and pat dry.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, half of the cheddar cheese, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper.
Grease the bottom of a glass or ceramic 9×13 inch (22×33 cm) casserole dish (I use this one), or 9×9 dish without the broccoli. Arrange the crumbled sausage evenly at the bottom of the casserole dish. (If you want to add any broccoli or pre-cooked vegetables to your casserole, mix them with the sausage at this step.)
Pour the egg mixture over the sausage. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the eggs are set and cheese is melted.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1/8 of the sausage, egg and cheese casserole
Nutrition info includes the optional broccoli, but can vary if you use other veggies or omit it altogether.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂