FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This easy Southern fried cabbage recipe is such a staple keto side dish, I can’t believe I haven’t shared it with you yet. (And really, it’s amazing even if you couldn’t care less about keto.) Fried cabbage with bacon has a few things going for it. First of all, BACON! I think most of us would agree that bacon makes everything better. 😉 But it’s also got soft and tender cabbage, made extra flavorful with onions and garlic throughout the keto fried cabbage. You definitely will want to learn how to make fried cabbage – it’s a veggie side dish everyone will love!
I’m sharing some specific recipes to serve this fried cabbage recipe with below, but really all you need is a protein! Choose your favorite and cook it as desired (grilling, roasting, pan-frying, slow cooking, etc.) Chicken, turkey, beef, or fish – this fried cabbage and bacon goes with it all.
How To Make Fried Cabbage With Bacon
This dish comes together very easily! You need just 5 ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
Here’s how to make keto fried cabbage and bacon:
- Cook bacon. Place bacon onto a large, cold saute pan. Heat over medium heat, flipping halfway, until bacon is browned.
TIP: Cook bacon in batches if it won’t all fit in the pan right away. You want it in a single layer.
- Cook onions. Add the onions to the bacon grease in the pan and fry until browned. Be patient – we want them nice and caramelized.
- Cook garlic. Make a well in the center of the pan, add minced garlic and saute for about a minute, until fragrant. Then, mix it in with the onions. (The image below shows where you’d add it, but it’s not done cooking yet.)
- Cook cabbage. Add cabbage to the pan. Season with slat, paprika, and pepper. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender.
TIP: If the cabbage won’t all fit in the pan, add it in batches and let it wilt down before adding more.
TIP: Cook time can vary depending on how big your cabbage is. Cook until soft and tender to your liking.
- Mix in bacon. Chop or crumble the bacon. When the cabbage is done, stir the bacon back into the pan.
Is Southern Fried Cabbage Keto?
Yes, this fried cabbage with bacon recipe is keto! Each 1 cup serving has 8 grams net carbs and only 143 calories, so it’s light even though it’s filling.
Traditional Southern fried cabbage often has a tablespoon or two of sugar added to it, which makes it less than ideal for keto. I don’t think sugar is necessary at all, but you can add a dash of monk fruit sweetener if you prefer yours sweet and still want to skip sugar.
How To Store Fried Cabbage
Store this Southern fried cabbage recipe in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. When you’re ready to eat, simply heat in the microwave or a hot skillet.
How To Make Fried Cabbage Ahead
Yes, you can make this Southern fried cabbage recipe ahead as it reheats really nicely, but you can also prep some of these components ahead and easily make it right before serving.
Simply fry up the bacon ahead of time (store in the fridge) and have the onions and cabbage chopped and ready to cook. Your cabbage stir fry recipe is half-way done!
What To Serve With Fried Cabbage With Bacon
This keto fried cabbage is a basic side dish that can go with just about everything! Peruse my low carb dinner ideas here, grill up your favorite protein, or try some of theses favorites below:
- Pan Seared Halibut – This delicious fish would be great with this easy fried cabbage.
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs – Turn these meatballs into a meal with a side of stir fry cabbage with bacon.
- Juicy Chicken Breast – If you want a super simple meal, chicken and cabbage go together well and are both as simple as can be.
- Sirloin Steak – My favorite oven baked sirloin steak is another great basic, main dish to go along with Southern bacon fried cabbage.
Tools To Make Southern Fried Cabbage
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Nonstick Wok – Using this deep skillet will give you plenty of room for cooking fried cabbage. This one is nonstick with a hard-anodized surface that resists scratching, plus it has a lid!
- Food Processor – Want easy keto cabbage stir fry? A food processor makes shredding cabbage way faster.
Keto Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe With Bacon:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe With Bacon
See how to make fried cabbage with just 5 ingredients! This keto Southern fried cabbage recipe with bacon is super flavorful and a total crowd pleaser.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the bacon onto a large, cold saute pan in a singer layer. Heat over medium heat for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the bacon is browned. (You can cook the bacon in batches if it doesn't all fit in the pan at once.)
Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
Add the onion to the pan. Fry, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, until browned.
Make a well in the center of the pan. Add the minced garlic and saute for about a minute, until fragrant (be careful not to burn it!), then mix it in with the onions.
Add the cabbage to the pan. Season cabbage and onions with salt, paprika, and pepper. Cover and cook for about 15-25 minutes, until cabbage is tender. If you can't fit all the cabbage into the pan at once, add it in batches and let it wilt down a bit before adding more. (Cook time can vary widely depending on how big your head of cabbage is - just cook until soft and tender to your liking.)
Meanwhile, chop or crumble the bacon. When the cabbage is done, stir the bacon back into the pan.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
TIP: Want sweetener fried cabbage? Add a dash of monk fruit sweetener!
Video Showing How To Make Southern Fried Cabbage:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Southern Fried Cabbage!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂