FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Is Surf And Turf?
- How To Cook Steak And Shrimp In The Oven
- Surf And Turf Time Chart
- Steak And Shrimp FAQs
- Surf And Turf Storage Instructions
- What To Serve With Steak And Shrimp
- More Steak And Seafood Recipes To Make Together
- Tools To Make the Perfect Steak And Shrimp Dinner
- Surf And Turf: Steak And Shrimp Recipe
Surf and turf at home is the new way to date night. This surf n turf recipe with garlic herb butter (yum!) makes the perfect dinner for any special occasion or holiday. Serve steak and shrimp with simple sides like roasted asparagus or mashed cauliflower – this meal is so good it doesn’t need much.
This surf and turf cooking method works best with thinner steaks, up to 1 inch thick. For thicker steaks, it’s better to do a reverse sear steak or finish steak in the oven. Then you can just cook the shrimp in a separate pan, or the same pan afterward.
What Is Surf And Turf?
Surf and turf is the term for a meal that includes “the land and the sea” on one plate. With two high-end, gourmet foods on one plate, it’s usually considered a special occasion meal.
How To Cook Steak And Shrimp In The Oven
Surf n turf feels fancy, but it’s surprisingly easy to make:
Make the garlic butter:
- Mix. Mash together butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and parsley in a small bowl until mixed. Store in the fridge while you prep the other components.
Make the steaks:
- Season. Take steaks out of fridge to let them come to room temperature. Brush with olive oil on both sides and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sear. Add steaks to very hot cast iron skillet and cook until browned and cooked to desired doneness. (See chart below for cooking temperatures.)
- Clean. When pan has stopped smoking, wipe out pan with paper towel so it can be used for shrimp.
- Rest. Let steaks rest and cover to keep them warm.
Make the shrimp:
- Melt. Add 2 tablespoons of garlic butter to the pan and coat pan evenly.
- Cook. Add shrimp in a single layer and cook for a few minutes per side, until opaque and golden.
Top steaks with a pat of garlic butter and serve shrimp alongside steaks, with garlic butter from the pan poured over shrimp. Squeeze with lemon if desired.
Surf And Turf Time Chart
Below are cook times for common surf n turf foods. To be completely certain your food is cooked properly, use a meat thermometer. (Note: Be particularly careful with shrimp — they can overcook quickly!)
Steak time chart:
|Doneness||Cook To Degrees F||Time On First Side||Time On Second Side|
|Rare||120 degrees F||4-5 minutes||1-2 minutes|
|Medium Rare||130 degrees F||4-5 minutes||2-4 minutes|
|Medium||140 degrees F||4-5 minutes||4-6 minutes|
|Medium Well||150 degrees F||4-5 minutes||6-8 minutes|
|Well Done||160 degrees F||4-5 minutes||8-10 minutes|
- These times are for sirloin steaks, about 1/2 to 1 inch thick. If your steaks are thicker, finish the steaks in the oven.
- Let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes while you cook the shrimp. Internal temperature will rise another 5 degrees during this time.
Shrimp time chart:
|Size||Time Per Side|
Steak And Shrimp FAQs
Where did surf n turf originate?
It is thought that surf and turf originated on one of the coasts in the 1960’s when chefs began pairing steak with seafood.
Is surf and turf healthy?
Yes, surf n turf meals are healthy and a great source of protein, with less than 1 gram of carbohydrates.
Can you marinate steak and shrimp together?
Yes, you can marinate steak and shrimp together. But, this recipe is flavorful without needing any marinade.
Can you cook steak and shrimp together?
Surf n turf food is, almost by definition, steak and shrimp together. But, you don’t want to actually cook them at the same time. Cook the steak first, then cook the shrimp while the steak rests.
Surf And Turf Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Because both components of surf n turf meals are best served immediately after cooking, it’s best to cook right before serving.
If you want to prep something ahead, you could make the garlic butter in advance.
Can you freeze steak and shrimp?
Yes, you can freeze steak and shrimp for 2-3 months, but the quality may decrease a bit, so I don’t recommend it unless necessary.
Do not microwave your surf n turf! Reheat the steak and shrimp in a hot skillet, just until warm or heated through. Alternatively, you can heat in the oven at low temperature with a little broth – learn more about this method in my reverse sear steak post.
What To Serve With Steak And Shrimp
Steak and shrimp meals shine on their own, so keep the side dishes simple:
- Creamed Spinach – The best side if you want to give your steak and shrimp recipe a steakhouse feel.
- Mashed Cauliflower – Tastes like mashed potatoes, but a lighter version. Just 4 ingredients.
- Roasted Asparagus – A simple side that pairs well with any steak and shrimp dinner ideas. Ready in 20 minutes and made with basic ingredients.
- Sauteed Mushrooms – Excellent with steak, these delectable mushrooms are cooked in a garlic butter and with my tips they’ll be perfect every time.
More Steak And Seafood Recipes To Make Together
When it comes to surf and turf dinner ideas, the world is your oyster (ha, see what I did there?):
- Reverse Sear Steak – The BEST method for steak that’s perfectly juicy on the inside and perfectly browned on the outside.
- Oven Baked Filet Mignon – Such an easy way to make filet steaks, this method takes just 15 minutes and the garlic herb butter takes it over the top.
- Steak Bites – If you don’t want a huge portion of steak with your surf and turf meal, these steak bites are the perfect size for the “turf” component.
- Broiled Lobster Tail – It’s easier than you think to make lobster tails at home. I’ll show you everything you need to know.
- Bacon Wrapped Scallops – Just 10 minutes to prep the ultimate bacon and scallop combo that’s juicy and SO delicious. It’s surf & turf x2!
- Pan Seared Halibut – Halibut is common at nice restaurants, and it’s also $$$! Make it at home with this simple recipe that has a lemon butter sauce served over it.
Tools To Make the Perfect Steak And Shrimp Dinner
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Instant Read Thermometer – The BEST way to ensure your surf n turf is cooked to perfection, and not overcooked.
- Cast Iron Skillet – This pan will give your steaks perfect grill marks, just like the restaurants.
- Citrus Press – Finish off your surf & turf dishes with a fresh squeeze of lemon.
The Best Surf And Turf Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Surf And Turf: Steak And Shrimp Recipe
Make your own surf and turf with garlic butter at home! The classic steak and shrimp recipe is perfect for special occasions or date nights in.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Make garlic butter:
In a small bowl, mash together the butter, garlic rosemary, thyme and parsley. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
If possible, take the steaks out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking, to let them come to room temperature.
Brush steaks on both sides with olive oil. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper, patting to help the seasonings stick.
Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, until very hot.
Add the steaks and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned on the bottom. Flip and cook for 2-7 minutes, until done to your liking.
* Rare: 120 degrees (49 degrees C), 1-2 minutes
* Medium Rare: 130 degrees (54 degrees C), 2-4 minutes
* Medium: 140 degrees (60 degrees C), 4-6 minutes
* Medium Well: 150 degrees (66 degrees C), 6-8 minutes
* Well Done: 160 degrees (71 degrees C), 8-10 minutes
Remove the steaks from the pan. Cover to let them rest and keep them warm.
Turn off heat. Wait for the pan to stop smoking, then lightly wipe down the pan if it has any pieces left.
With the heat off but while the pan is still hot, add 2 tablespoons of garlic butter in smaller chunks. (Reserve the rest of the garlic butter for the steaks later.) Move the butter pieces around as they melt, so that the melted butter coats the pan evenly.
Once butter melts, turn on heat to medium. Quickly add the shrimp in a single layer. Cook for 1-3 minutes per side, until opaque and golden.
Serve steaks with a pat (1 tablespoon) of garlic butter on top. Serve shrimp alongside the steaks, with garlic butter from the pan poured over them, and a squeeze of lemon, if desired.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 6-oz steak + 3 oz shrimp, or 1/4 entire recipe
Video Showing How To Make Surf And Turf:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Surf And Turf!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂